Show me your desktops

Actually, I'm still deciding between RAID-0 and RAID-5.

The benefit of RAID-5 is redundancy, but at the expense of the capacity of one drive.

The benefit of RAID-0 is I don't lose the capacity of one drive, but if even one of the four drives fail, I'm screwed. That's the downside. :p

I've read before that the benefits of a RAID are dubious, for gaming at least. But if you have four drives in a RAID-0 configuration your drives are going to fail about four times faster. It'd be better to use RAID-5 for such a large number of drives.

Water I like your desktop picture.

This is Georges Seurat's "Sunday Afternoon at la Grande Jatte," which dates from the 1880's. The style is pointilism, which means he used dots of color (in essence, pixels) rather than strokes.

This is Georges Seurat's "Sunday Afternoon at la Grande Jatte," which dates from the 1880's. The style is pointilism, which means he used dots of color (in essence, pixels) rather than strokes.
It's cool to take a close view of the picture then slowly step back.

I won't post my desktop. It's picture of my 3-year old daughter. She's gorgeous. In the end, I think she is going to wind up looking like Erin Burnett from CNBC, but with auburn hair.

Thanks I feel really stupid now! ;)
There are only a few artists I really like. Seurat is one of them. At least now, with the artist and title, you can download a jpeg if you wanted. :)

It actually comes with Vista, which is the reason I've got it.

And I honestly thought Darla knew what it was and was just joking? It's a pretty famous picture.

I've read before that the benefits of a RAID are dubious, for gaming at least.

This is very true when it comes to gaming. The same can be said for four-core processors, and even two-cores in many instances, for gaming. However, for everything else it kicks ass. As one who builds custom high-end rigs on a regular basis I've seen the difference - it is very noticeable.

But if you have four drives in a RAID-0 configuration your drives are going to fail about four times faster. It'd be better to use RAID-5 for such a large number of drives.

True, as stated, I will choose 0 only if I'm not concerned about data - I keep photos, music, videos, etc backed up to my file server anyway, so as annoying as it would for it to crash, it wouldn't be the end of the world. RAID-0 is all about performance.

Most likely I'll choose RAID-5 however.

UN-BORING-IFY COMMENCING.

REAL LIFE DESKTOP:

img2663aw4.jpg

1) I have way better speakers but I don't unpack them when I am home from college.

2) I usually have a "no wire seen policy" but I have given less of a shit recently since I'm always hooking/unhooking my laptop.

3) Yes, that is indeed wads of cash in my pencil holder.

Also in this picture (for the blind) Wallet, Cell, Watch, headphones. Not seen: tabasco sauce which I have on my desk for some reason.

Well Thor, check into the new SSD drives:

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=3403

A few of these in a RAID-0 configuration and it would almost be like running your computer from RAM.

Even if current SSDs were capable of achieving speeds similar to RAM (they're not even close), it would be bottle-necked by SATA: 300MB/s for each drive. The greatest benefits of SSDs is lower energy consumption (for notebooks) and durability.

That said, flash memory cells have a short lifespan compared to magnetic storage.

and very fast transfers.

In my experience, SSDs definitely "feel" snappier (due to MUCH lower access times), but there are cases in which magnetic is a bit faster. SSDs are still in their infancy, and flash memory is quickly realizing its limitations.

IBM, Intel, AMD and a few others have been working on potential successors to flash. Here is one idea:

http://www.custompc.co.uk/news/602412/ibm-develops-successor-to-flash-memory.html

ok you two seriously stop going to wikipedia, then posting things, then having the other guy go to wikipedia to formulate an response. it's getting old.

Even if current SSDs were capable of achieving speeds similar to RAM (they're not even close), it would be bottle-necked by SATA: 300MB/s for each drive. The greatest benefits of SSDs is lower energy consumption (for notebooks) and durability.

That said, flash memory cells have a short lifespan compared to magnetic storage.

In my experience, SSDs definitely "feel" snappier (due to MUCH lower access times), but there are cases in which magnetic is a bit faster. SSDs are still in their infancy, and flash memory is quickly realizing its limitations.

IBM, Intel, AMD and a few others have been working on potential successors to flash. Here is one idea:

http://www.custompc.co.uk/news/602412/ibm-develops-successor-to-flash-memory.html

SSD's are currently faster than the Raptor drive, which is the fastest SATA hard-drive on the market. Intel rates the new device to last at least five years, and there is a three year warranty on it. With time the difference only going to get larger and larger. You should really try to read up on the current state of things before blabbering off on that, my friend. SSD drives are progressing at a remarkable rate, and whatever limitations you are talking about aren't being run into yet. The RAM comparison was an exageration. And I seriously doubt "racetrack" memory will be the next biggest thing. It sounds like it's just MRAM, and MRAM is the biggest vaporware memory product ever, promising everything but always running into a ton of unsolvable hurdles. I seriously had to snort when they said "possibly within ten years". Flash is continuing to grow and is going to half in price and double in capacity every six months, while getting much faster than enterprise level hard drives. By the time I get my degree in two years, hard drives will have gone the way of LCD's.

Last edited:
You should really try to read up on the current state of things before blabbering off on that, my friend.

I've built/tested several systems with SSDs, Watermark.

I know from experience what I'm talking about, thank you.

The RAM comparison was an exageration.

LOL. Sure it was. :)

And I seriously doubt "racetrack" memory will be the next biggest thing. It sounds like it's just MRAM, and MRAM is the biggest vaporware memory product ever, promising everything but always running into a ton of unsolvable hurdles. I seriously had to snort when they said "possibly within ten years". Flash is continuing to grow and is going to half in price and double in capacity every six months.

Watermark, the point is, even when running the fastest, most advanced SSDs, it will still be the slowest essential component in the system. Yeah, it's definitely a step in the right direction but there are MUCH better technologies on the horizon. Flash is merely a bridge technology IMHO.

Back