Show me your desktops

I've built/tested several systems with SSDs, Watermark.

I know from experience what I'm talking about, thank you.

LOL. Sure it was. :)

Watermark, the point is, even when running the fastest, most advanced SSDs, it will still be the slowest essential component in the system. Yeah, it's definitely a step in the right direction but there are MUCH better technologies on the horizon. Flash is merely a bridge technology IMHO.

Flash memory just has such a humongous funding advantage that no other technology, whatever it's merits, is going to be able to compete for a long time.

A question.
I have not been following PC hardware developments much for several years.

Why did we go to SATA drives instead of parallel ATA ones ?
Do they have a faster data transfer rate than parallel ones ? Or just cheaper hardware ?

A question.
I have not been following PC hardware developments much for several years.

Why did we go to SATA drives instead of parallel ATA ones ?
Do they have a faster data transfer rate than parallel ones ? Or just cheaper hardware ?

Serial ATA drives are much faster, approaching SCSI levels. Parallel system just have a lot of problems that limit them that Serial systems don't. USB and any other modern hi-speed interface is serial. I think they're even coming out with a serial version of SCSI.

Serial ATA drives are much faster, approaching SCSI levels. Parallel system just have a lot of problems that limit them that Serial systems don't. USB and any other modern hi-speed interface is serial. I think they're even coming out with a serial version of SCSI.

yeah an upgraded Commodore 64 serial bus ;)

My desktop is cluttered and has names and such on folders. I am not showing it here.

Plus it is just the classic blue background.

My desktop is cluttered and has names and such on folders. I am not showing it here.

Plus it is just the classic blue background.
The only folder I have on my desktop is the one labelled, "Junk I don't Use", which is filled with shortcuts to the kids games, etc.

The only folder I have on my desktop is the one labelled, "Junk I don't Use", which is filled with shortcuts to the kids games, etc.

Ahh I usually use my work PC. Lots of work related folders and such on the desktop.

Well for another couple of months anyway. then no more regular work :clink:
I don't need to worry about no stinkin 401K to retire.

Ahh I usually use my work PC. Lots of work related folders and such on the desktop.

Well for another couple of months anyway. then no more regular work :clink:
I don't need to worry about no stinkin 401K to retire.
Even my work PCs are clean that way. I create folders deeper in for all that stuff. I hate a cluttered desktop.

LOL mine usually has half a dozen Same time chats and such going on anyway.
I usually run macros and minimize them so I don't have to hear the "bleeps". The IMs get minimized so I know which is active or not. They light up when each person sends a message.

I usually run macros and minimize them so I don't have to hear the "bleeps". The IMs get minimized so I know which is active or not. They light up when each person sends a message.

yeah mine do as well, but then when more than 5 or 6 are open I have to check the minimized group to see which one is pinging me.

I hate it when it or my Lotusnotes interrupts what I am typing. Especiaally if I am busy zinging toppy. Darn work stuff.

Back