Sophia comes

• Thread starter Thread starter TRGLDTE
  • Start date Start date
Hemingway wrote stupid sentences. They were short. They were ugly. It looks like he was in a competition with his friend. About who could use the most punctuation. In a single book.

Even trying to write like Hemingway makes me cringe.

Funny. I look at Hemingways writing, and I see a lot of run-on sentences. The man doesn't use commas. Cormac McCarthy pretty much doesn't use comma's either.

The only punctuation Hemingway ever used, basically, was the period. His prose was simple. It wasn't inflated with cliches and bad metaphors in an attempt to patch up his prose with purple.

Last edited:
Let's put it this way. Hemingway didn't just publish, but he wrote some of the most successful novels of all time. It is just plain silly to run around trashing him as if reality didn't exist. He writes better than you. Get over it.

Yes, bitch! Kyrie Eleison!

Oh, and Hemingway sucks. Who wants to read about the lives of old people? Other than me, that is... :duel:

His books were "about old people". He didn't write very many, to tell the truth. Only four major ones and a novella, and one of those didn't barely live up to his namesake.

Kyrie Eleison is Latin for "Lord! Have Mercy!"

Not Greek.

And Hemingway also writes better than you.

Funny. I look at Hemingways writing, and I see a lot of run-on sentences. The man doesn't use commas. Cormac McCarthy pretty much doesn't use comma's either.

The only punctuation Hemingway ever used, basically, was the period. His prose was simple. It wasn't inflated with cliches and bad metaphors in an attempt to patch up his prose with purple.

The difference is that Cormac McCarthy is good.

And? Does the fact that he isn't interested in fame make him less of a writer?

I said it for him.

Cormac McCarthy knows he's not a better writer than Hemingway. McCarthy is one of the best writers of our time, but few people compare to Hemingway or Faulkner, unless you're talking about Homer.

Cormac McCarthy knows he's not a better writer than Hemingway. McCarthy is one of the best writers of our time, but few people compare to Hemingway or Faulkner, unless you're talking about Homer.

You are vastly ignorant of the literary world, then.

You are excluding from that statement people such as Tolstoy, Pushkin, Dostoevsky, Proust, William Vollman, Suzan-Lori Parks, Dante, Milton, Jane Austen, the Bronte sisters, Dickens, Dickinson, Joyce, Byron, Coleridge, Emerson, Poe, Whitman, Tennyson, and Rand, just off the top of my head...I'm sure I could think of more if I actually dedicated myself to constructing a list.

Faulkner was a great author, but those who worship Hemingway are equivalent to the Salinger cultists in my book--- teens that haven't been exposed to real literature.

Last edited:
You are vastly ignorant of the literary world, then.

You are excluding from that statement people such as Tolstoy, Pushkin, Dostoevsky, Proust, William Vollman, Suzan-Lori Parks, Dante, Milton, Jane Austen, the Bronte sisters, Dickens, Dickinson, Joyce, Byron, Coleridge, Emerson, Poe, Whitman, Tennyson, and Rand, just off the top of my head...I'm sure I could think of more if I actually dedicated myself to constructing a list.

Faulkner was a great author, but those who worship Hemingway are equivalent to the Salinger cultists in my book--- teens that haven't been exposed to real literature.

Yep, Gonzo, I've never heard of any of those guys.

Back