Sophia comes

• Thread starter Thread starter TRGLDTE
  • Start date Start date
Why does Jane Austen "blow"?

Come on she's, like, one of those writer chicks. Women are, like, shit at writing, and that. It's all "i felt this" and "he felt that" and not even in a good way, you know what i'm saying! Dogs in the house, baby!

I've never heard of this Jane Austin sort, yeah, but she's, like, bound to be shit and that, 'cos women are too busy thinking of flowers and pretty colours to think about words and compil-ee-cated fings like dat, yeah?

I have never in my life read a romance novel.

I just dont get the point.

I have not read any Austin but I understand she writes rather well.

I have never in my life read a romance novel.

I just dont get the point.

I have not read any Austin but I understand she writes rather well.

Jane Austin wrote before formulaic genre fiction came into being. It'd be better to call her a member of the "realist" movement than a romance writer. In the modern world, where the distinction is almost lost, and people think it's impossible to write stuff that doesn't conform to a genre, yes, I guess you would call it a "romance" novel. But it certainly isn't the formulaic shit that is sold today. It's real art, not commercial fiction.

Jane Austin wrote before formulaic genre fiction came into being. It'd be better to call her a member of the "realist" movement than a romance writer. In the modern world, where the distinction is almost lost, and people think it's impossible to write stuff that doesn't conform to a genre, yes, I guess you would call it a "romance" novel. But it certainly isn't the formulaic shit that is sold today. It's real art, not commercial fiction.

No, you retard, Jane Austen was not a realist author. Jane Austen wrote around the same time as the Bronte sisters and Romanticism (which of course was an unrelated literary movement) and was well known for her "novel of manners" style, a genre that includes books such as "Vanity Fair" and "Jane Eyre", as well as Austen's "Emma".

Now, just because I included her in my list does not mean I worship the ground she walks on...merely that many critics and people find her to be quite a brilliant author, and while I personally rather hate her I do have to admit she has a grasp for narrative structure that is hard to parallel.

Calling Jane Austen (writing, again, "novels of manners" about upper-class society) a realist is as ignorant as calling her work a romance novel.

Edith Wharton would be a better example of a female realist author.

No, you retard, Jane Austen was not a realist author. Jane Austen wrote around the same time as the Bronte sisters and Romanticism (which of course was an unrelated literary movement) and was well known for her "novel of manners" style, a genre that includes books such as "Vanity Fair" and "Jane Eyre", as well as Austen's "Emma".

Now, just because I included her in my list does not mean I worship the ground she walks on...merely that many critics and people find her to be quite a brilliant author, and while I personally rather hate her I do have to admit she has a grasp for narrative structure that is hard to parallel.

Calling Jane Austen (writing, again, "novels of manners" about upper-class society) a realist is as ignorant as calling her work a romance novel.

Whatever.

Yeah, I was wrong Gonzo. I was just trying to point out a difference. She didn't write "romance" novels. She wrote literature with romance as a primary theme.

Kyrie Eleison is Latin for "Lord! Have Mercy!"

Not Greek.

And Hemingway also writes better than you.

You are 100% incorrect - Kyrie Eleison is Greek. It does mean "Lord, have mercy" though... Sort of like how Amen is Hebrew. The old lines are not entirely Latin. The Church was Greek for the first 6 centuries.

Oh, and I am much better than Hemmingway! :readit:

You are 100% incorrect - Kyrie Eleison is Greek. It does mean "Lord, have mercy" though... Sort of like how Amen is Hebrew. The old lines are not entirely Latin. The Church was Greek for the first 6 centuries.

Let me guess, you write science fiction? Evil alien force invading? Young hero must come travel throughout the galaxy and defeat them before they blow up this or that for someodd reason? Maybe you through God in there at some point, who knows, just to be unique.

Well good luck to you.

LOL If I ever write books, its going to be when I am a bit more advanced in age... :cool:

Name it "The Alchemist Drive" or something like that. Your names don't have to make sense they just have to have a "The", then a complicated sounding noun, and some random word like "drive" or "identity".

To get an idea of what is required, read a list of the titles of Robert Ludlums books:

* The Scarlatti Inheritance (1971)
* The Osterman Weekend (1972)
* The Matlock Paper (1973)
* Trevayne (1973, writing under the pen-name Jonathan Ryder)
* The Cry of the Halidon (1974, writing under the pen-name Jonathan Ryder)
* The Rhinemann Exchange (1974)
* The Road to Gandolfo (1975, writing under the pen-name Michael Shephard)
* The Gemini Contenders (1976)
* The Chancellor Manuscript (1977)
* The Holcroft Covenant (1978)
* The Matarese Circle (1979)
* The Bourne Identity (1980)
* The Parsifal Mosaic (1982)
* The Aquitaine Progression (1984)
* The Bourne Supremacy (1986)
* The Icarus Agenda (1988)
* The Bourne Ultimatum (1990)
* The Road to Omaha (1992)
* The Scorpio Illusion (1993)
* The Apocalypse Watch (1995)
* The Matarese Countdown (1997)
* The Prometheus Deception (2000)

You a Catholic?

Mel had a habit of using it as a prop in his movies...

Personally, I'm currently under the impression that you are supposed to use it like a club to make long lasting red marks on people's faces (kinda like a stamp)...

Yes we have a scandal when a couple of dickheads on our version of the reality tv show "Big Brother" whacked their penises in the face of one of the female housemates. "Turkey slap" it's called apparently. I call it indecent assault but the little fuckers were never charged.

Oh come on ! It may be a really great Romance novel but its still a romance novel.

Back