South gets a bum rap for racism

I disagree that we are all "racist". I can without a doubt say that I'm not. I do think that we all have some level of "prejudice" though.

Would I assume that someone from Ireland likes beer?

Yes.

Does it mean that I think I'm better or that they are beneath me for it?

No.

Having prejudices doesn't necessarily equate to being racist.

racism will take generations to completely eliminate. A very slow process that can completely be undone by a few. Its been 40 years since the civil rights laws went into place and it still has a long way to go. So how long will it take to change to mind set of the muslims in the ME and the other countries?

I disagree that we are all "racist". I can without a doubt say that I'm not. I do think that we all have some level of "prejudice" though.

Yes.

No.

"Racist" is one of those exceedingly tricky words that simply doesn't have a precise definition. Or it has several precise definitions and you can't tell which one is intended except from context. I tend to use it interchangably with "bigot" myself, but that's me. And you, I think. :)

You're right that we all have prejudices. The operative question about any particular individual is how he or she deals with them. Does he admit that he has prejudices, try to know what they are and to compensate for them? Does she accept that her prejudices are likely wrong in specific cases even when they're founded in arguably valid generalizations? And so on.

Personally, I reserve "racist" for people who have negative prejudices about people from other ethnic groups and who aren't good at -- or interested in -- dealing with those prejudices rationally.

The woman alluded to in the article is a racist, whether she admits it or not.

Yes.

No.

Good job LadyT, I think you have hit my aspect of it on the head.
I do have some prejudice, but work on it and try my best to overcome it.
But prejudice does not only apply to race issues. Elitists are VERY prejudiced for example. Or to say that all pit Bulls are viscious is prejudiced.
Of course sometimes it is wise to be prejudiced. Such as a prejudice that most politicians are corrupt in some way.

Yes.

No.

Good point, but do you ever catch yourself having clearly negative sterotypes... because I can see how that would necessarly lead to racism.

How many people have an image of the parents whose kid got her toes chewed off by pit bulls?

How many people have an image of the parents whose kid got her toes chewed off by pit bulls?
My image: Slack-jawed, gap-toothed, mullet-headed, ball-cap wearing, crack-head white trash.

I ferrly admit to being prejudiced about Pit Bulls, and that prejudice might just save my ass at some point in time.

So when does common sense become prejudice ?

I ferrly admit to being prejudiced about Pit Bulls, and that prejudice might just save my ass at some point in time.

So when does common sense become prejudice ?
LOL! Einstein said that "common sense" is nothing more than the aggregate of all prejudices you aquire by the age of 19.

Good point, but do you ever catch yourself having clearly negative sterotypes... because I can see how that would necessarly lead to racism.

I think by definition in this case you wouldn't a racist because of the fact that you acknowledge the problem is with you and you're negative preconceptions.

Damo,

You're right. Southern Illinois, and parts of Missouri are culturally pretty much just like the South. My step dad is from southern Illinois. They pretty much consider Chicago and northern illinois to be a bunch of panty-waist yankees.

You mean they're not??? I always considered anyone north of I-40 a Yankee....panty waste to be determined later.:)

I think by definition in this case you wouldn't a racist because of the fact that you acknowledge the problem is with you and you're negative preconceptions.

Good point. I was going to say that if I were walking down a street at night and saw a black person walking toward me, I would be more aprehensive than if it were a white... But on further reflection I dont think that is true for me. I would base my aprehension level more on the dress and general apperance than on color. I would be equally afraid of a poorly dressed white guy as a poorly dressed black guy.

I am guilty however of not caring as much about news of a shooting in the hood as I would about a shooting in a nicer neighborhood... I think that is common, because it explains why the media would cover one more than the other.

You have to know that I am kidding with the above post. To the premise of this thread, though, I am sure that there are definitely veins of veiled racism throughout the South......and it would defintiely be more than the North would show.

I still don't consider the use of the dreaded "N" word to be completely racist. Having grown up, gone to church, hunted and fished with several black families I, unlike Damo, have heard the "N" word plenty of times, mostly in good natured, joking around. We still call Brazil nuts Nigger-toes. I asked my friend John one time (I was about 13) what they called them and he laughed and said, "Just what you call 'em, Nigger toes."

But that being said, I have to agree that racism is unfortunately alive and well in the South.

Good point, the way you use that word, the intended meaning, is what would make it racist.

Good point. I was going to say that if I were walking down a street at night and saw a black person walking toward me, I would be more aprehensive than if it were a white... But on further reflection I dont think that is true for me. I would base my aprehension level more on the dress and general apperance than on color. I would be equally afraid of a poorly dressed white guy as a poorly dressed black guy.

I am guilty however of not caring as much about news of a shooting in the hood as I would about a shooting in a nicer neighborhood... I think that is common, because it explains why the media would cover one more than the other.

I am not apprehensive at all meeting a black person on the street here....now in Oklahoma City it is a different story depending upon what part of town I am in. But then again, it doesn't matter if the person is black or white when I have to be in that part of town, I am always on my toes.

And Alex, I am as guilty as the next person as not paying as much attention to a shooting, not necessarily just in the "hood" but in the poorer sections of cities (be it white or black) as I do to those in nicer neighborhoods.

Back