South gets a bum rap for racism

Well, I do remember people saying "N***er-lipped" when talking about somebody wetting the end of a shared cigarette. I had friends who were black though, and we used "fish-lipped" because one of the guys was sensitive, understandably, to the word...

I had never, in that context, heard that word. Specifically referring to people by race like that, in any conversation growing up. People here just don't speak that way.

Well, I do remember people saying "N***er-lipped" when talking about somebody wetting the end of a shared cigarette. I had friends who were black though, and we used "fish-lipped" because one of the guys was sensitive, understandably, to the word...

I had never, in that context, heard that word. Specifically referring to people by race like that, in any conversation growing up. People here just don't speak that way.

I have lived in the west, and yes racial prejudice is not as pronounced there. well maybe against indians and mexicans in some areas :)

We still call Brazil nuts N!*&^%-toes. I asked my friend John one time (I was about 13) what they called them and he laughed and said, "Just what you call 'em, N&*!r toes.".

Yeah well, its still highly offensive. Just because your black friend says it too, doesn't soften the punch.

Last edited:
That's interesting, because I can honestly say that I feel for people in any neighborhood that experience tragedies across the globe: African villages, Iraq, Chechnya, even Texas

Yeah well, its still highly offensive. Just because your black friend says it too, doesn't soften the punch.

And that is fine. When around you I will remember to call them Brazil nuts but when John and I get together this Christmas break (like we do every year) they'll be Nigger-toes. Deal?

That's interesting, because I can honestly say that I feel for people in any neighborhood that experience tragedies across the globe: African villages, Iraq, Chechnya, even Texas

that puts you into the bleeding heart category. Not a bad thing though, just depends on what you do with your emotions.

that puts you into the bleeding heart category. Not a bad thing though, just depends on what you do with your emotions.

It hasn't done me any good so far. I just get depressed, cry a little bit and feel completely helpless. Although I must say, I am considering adopting a child in the waaay future from a third world country. I'd even consider adopting an HIV positive child.

Yeah feeling the pain of others is no fun at all. But a sign of a good human being. Being heartless is much easier...Who cares, Kill em all, just nuke em, that kind of stuff.

I am not apprehensive at all meeting a black person on the street here....now in Oklahoma City it is a different story depending upon what part of town I am in. But then again, it doesn't matter if the person is black or white when I have to be in that part of town, I am always on my toes.

And Alex, I am as guilty as the next person as not paying as much attention to a shooting, not necessarily just in the "hood" but in the poorer sections of cities (be it white or black) as I do to those in nicer neighborhoods.

Yup, The more I think about it, I agree its not really racism as long as we realize the problem is with us when we generalize and not with the racial group.

Living in the South my entire life, I have certainly witnessed racism. I have never stated that there was no racists in the South, and this would be a totally absurd viewpoint. There is not an area or state in this nation, that doesn't have racists.

It does disturb me, the way some people apply a stereotype to the South. Perhaps it stems from the Civil War, or the Civil Rights era, or maybe both? I can understand that, but in all honesty, I can't understand how people can be so bigoted and stereotypical about their views on racism. It's almost a contradiction of principle, in my opinion... it's not okay to be prejudiced and bigoted about race, but let's bash hell out of these people because they are racist for being from the South!

I have articulated this thought before, but this seems to be a good time to revisit it. I personally think the level of obvious and abhorrent racism in the state of Alabama, is far less prevalent than other places, simply because of the history. Every school kid educated in Alabama, has learned of our past, we've studied the state history regarding racism, segregation, and civil rights. We have had it ingrained into us from a very early age, that this was shameful and embarrassing, and wrong. This level of guilt simply doesn't exist in places where there has never been a history of racial turmoil. Precisely because of our past, we've come to have an understanding unlike people who never had to face that.

I grew up in the heart of Birmingham during the 1960's. The nights of rioting and fire hoses are a vivid memory I have to this day, even though I was only 4 years old at the time. My father was afraid there would be a race war, and he spend many a night on our front porch, with a shotgun in hand, ready to protect his family and property from potential attacks. He wasn't a racist, he was a realist though, and he knew that things could get ugly.

I've recalled before, the times my Mother took my sister and me to the matinee at the Alabama Theater, we always took the bus downtown, and I can vividly remember seeing black people on the bus, and along the way to the movies... they would never really look you in the eye, as if they were ashamed of something, or they were afraid to speak. Little did I know what was going on, why they seemed to be so distant and cold toward me. I would try to strike up a conversation with them, only to have them uncomfortably disengage from the social interaction and withdraw. I didn't understand this, I couldn't imagine why they didn't want to speak to me, or even look at me, for that matter. Of course, it was because of what was going on at the time, and I was too young to understand. This made a profound impact on me as a child, and I suspect that people who weren't in the middle of civil rights, had no clue of this, and were never effected this way.

I can remember where I lived at the time, it was a small middle class neighborhood, 3 blocks down the street from a housing project... my grandmother called it the "colored quarters" and it was where all the black people lived. One of my best friends was Jewish, he lived right at the "border" between our neighborhood and "colored quarters" and when I would go to his house to play, there were a couple of black boys who would join us in the yard and play. We were just kids, we didn't see each other as different, other than the obvious difference in our color. I remember the Jewish boy's mother always made us pink lemonade, I had never known of pink lemonade before this, it was new to me. When she would call us to come in for a glass of lemonade, the black boys would get this look of fear on their faces, and decline to come inside the house, they would leave and go back to their house, without any explanation. I just figured it was because they had been raised to not go in the house of a stranger or something, I had no idea it was because we were white people. I can remember my 6th birthday, I had invited one of the boys to my party, and they didn't come. Later, I asked them why? They just said their mom wouldn't let them. I figured it was because their mother didn't know my family or something, I never understood it was because they were black and I was white, and it was Birmingham in the 60's.

The point I am trying to make is this, I grew up in a very polarized racially divided community, and I never understood it. Much later in my youth, I would learn about MLK and Civil Rights, I would discover the answers to why things were the way they were. It changed me as a person, because I experienced this first-hand growing up. I think that people who grew up in all-white neighborhoods, far away from this conflict, had a completely different perspective of things, and never realized the things I did as a child. This makes a huge difference in regard to viewpoint, in my opinion.

The thing that really troubles me today, is the way people will twist things into "racism" that really aren't. Some innocent comment, or some stereotype is made, and it's portrayed as "racism" when it's really nothing more than an observation or opinion rooted in stereotypes. We all have preferences, we all have our prejudices, it doesn't make us all racist. To me, a truly racist person is someone who believes that one race is superior to another, or one race is inferior to others. If that is the viewpoint, the person is a racist, and it's abhorrent and wrong to be that way. If they simply have a preference or stereotypical opinion of something, that could be ignorance, that could merely be personal preference, it doesn't mean the person believes as a racist. Condemning these people as racist for these things, marginalizes true racism, and diminishes the problem of real racism in our society, in my opinion.

I think we solve the racial divide by somehow understanding that we all have preferences and we all have prejudice to some degree, and this is not racist, just a part of being human. As long as we are unwilling to accept this, and continue to categorize it incorrectly, we can't ever resolve the problem of true racist beliefs in our society.

It does disturb me, the way some people apply a stereotype to the South. Perhaps it stems from the Civil War, or the Civil Rights era, or maybe both? .

LMAO @ "Civil War" or Civil rights era!!!!!

Yeah, cuz the quote I provided was either from the 1800s or the 1950s. Let me do some research on that........

***sigh***

There is not one person on the face of this planet we all call home who is not 'prejudice' or 'racist' in one form or another...it is human nature! For all of you who get off in this type of thread bashing others who have blurted out stupid comments on the subject... are just in denial of your own prejudices... and cover up by attacking those who are more vocal and non pc!
As for the "N" word I am so tired of all the rhetoric...first and foremost do any of you really know where the word came from? I doubt it so I will apprise y'all.

It came from ships manifests during the era of slave traders...Cargo was always designated on the manifest as a product of the port of export...The word 'Niger' on the manifests from the port of 'Niger' designated the shipment cargo of slaves...(sold by their own people) The slaves were brought to the (export) port from the Niger River Valley area...thus the cargo was designated as "Nigers" The double 'n' spelling later on was obviously a spelling error...so for anyone to get really excited about another using this word should also get excited about those who call themselves 'African Americans' What is the difference per se' then calling oneself 'Niger American' it is just a more specific geographical area of the continent of 'Africa" and most of the slave trade operated out of this area for the port...even though slaves were traded throughout Africa...Just a little food for thought!

There is not one person on the face of this planet we all call home who is not 'prejudice' or 'racist' in one form or another...it is human nature!

Speak for yourself. I'm not racist. Not one bit.

It came from ships manifests during the era of slave traders

Thanks for that little bit of history. All of a sudden objectifying and dehumanizing an entire people and likening their body parts to nuts is suddenly not offensive anymore.

Damo,

You're right. Southern Illinois, and parts of Missouri are culturally pretty much just like the South. My step dad is from southern Illinois. They pretty much consider Chicago and northern illinois to be a bunch of panty-waist yankees.

Personally, I love being a yankee....

you don't get more of a yankee then a "Connecticut Yankee"

Back