APP - Spanking children

DamnYankee

Loyal to the end
I have a 7-year-old son who has cerebral palsy. He attends public school in Davidson County. I am thankful that they still use paddling as a form of discipline.

Proverbs 22:15: "Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him." What is wrong for a "normal" child is still wrong for a disabled child. The problem with most teachers and school systems is they don't care enough about the future of that child. They are only concerned with getting them through the school year and out of their class.
http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2010/jun/07/expressing-support/opinion-letters/

:good4u:

She's got it right. I advocate spanking, if it works for that child, about from age 2 to 8. The key is to make it a dramatic and methodical, telling them how much its going to hurt, and the slapping noise causes more pain than the physical contact.

I spank my children. Not for every little infraction, but some times they need it. I don't spank my 9 or 11 year old, but my 7, 4 and 3 year old's still get spanked sometimes if needed.

The first time I spanked my son he was two, tossed something on the floor after I told him not to, then gave me the look: 'you can't do anything about it'. Well I did. He probably got spanked 6 times in his life, and as I recall four were on the same day.

After they get old enough to have privileges, like computer access or owning a bicycle, taking his favorite away works better. The last confrontation- and there are not many- I threatened to take his car keys and drive him to school myself (like a middle school kid). He wised up fast.

Spanking never worked for my daughter.

Believe it or not, I have actually had to defend people in court, facing felony charges, for spanking their child.

I spank my children. Not for every little infraction, but some times they need it. I don't spank my 9 or 11 year old, but my 7, 4 and 3 year old's still get spanked sometimes if needed.
I would too, if I had kids, in the appropriate occassion but am I the only one here that see's how stupid it is to politicize this issue? In either direction.

To be honest I don't want schools utilizing corporal punishement and not for political reasons. #1. The "Spare the Rod and Spoil The Child" philosophy is archaic and counter productive to motivating students nor is it an affective form of behavior modification. #2. There are superior methods of establishing discipline in the class room and modifying inappropirate behavior in children then the threat of violence. Those are proven facts. The only time and place for violence in our schools is to restrain and remove from the class room a violent student.

Believe it or not, I have actually had to defend people in court, facing felony charges, for spanking their child.
I can believe that. That's why I think it's unwise to politicise this issue. It blurs the lines between a parent disciplining their child and physical abuse. The problem with that is, that in most cases, that's not a blury line.

I would too, if I had kids, in the appropriate occassion but am I the only one here that see's how stupid it is to politicize this issue? In either direction.

To be honest I don't want schools utilizing corporal punishement and not for political reasons. #1. The "Spare the Rod and Spoil The Child" philosophy is archaic and counter productive to motivating students nor is it an affective form of behavior modification. #2. There are superior methods of establishing discipline in the class room and modifying inappropirate behavior in children then the threat of violence. Those are proven facts. The only time and place for violence in our schools is to restrain and remove from the class room a violent student.

This is the problem with lib-tards like you and this issue. You lay-up straw man after straw man in an attempt to demonize the act, and never once do you look at the actual written policy of the school system. How do you know paddling is used to "motivate" students? That is absurd.

This philosophy is commonly misapplied. The full measure of the words in Hebrew translates the idea of not sparing discipline and rule over your child in order to save him. It does not mean using a physical rod nor does it mean you should not; rather it means do not neglect your duty as a parent to love your child by administering discipline when necessary. The idea of allowing children to "spoil" because their parents do not care enough to correct them when they err is what is in question. The Hebrew word "shebet" translated in this passage "rod" is the same word used to describe authority. Interchanging the word authority for rod you get "spare authority and spoil the child". This authority may require a spanking, a removal of privileges, a good talking to etc...

This is the problem with lib-tards like you and this issue. You lay-up straw man after straw man in an attempt to demonize the act, and never once do you look at the actual written policy of the school system. How do you know paddling is used to "motivate" students? That is absurd.
And that's the problem with you on the far right. You jump to conclusions before you've either read or stoped to think. I didn't say it was used for motivationg students. I said that it was counterproductive to motivating students. And who is demonising the act? I'm criticising it as a useless educational method, which it is. If you need to paddle a child, in a class room in order to maintain discipline in the class room, then you are a seriously inadequate teacher.

Last edited:
This philosophy is commonly misapplied. The full measure of the words in Hebrew translates the idea of not sparing discipline and rule over your child in order to save him. It does not mean using a physical rod nor does it mean you should not; rather it means do not neglect your duty as a parent to love your child by administering discipline when necessary. The idea of allowing children to "spoil" because their parents do not care enough to correct them when they err is what is in question. The Hebrew word "shebet" translated in this passage "rod" is the same word used to describe authority. Interchanging the word authority for rod you get "spare authority and spoil the child". This authority may require a spanking, a removal of privileges, a good talking to etc...
I can't argue with you that the literal interpretation being a misinterpretation. I certainly agree that a child not only needs discipline but they want discipline. Children want to know what their limits are. Unfortunately, this is a phrase that through out most of it's history has been translated literally to mean physical punishement.

Last edited:
I have a 7-year-old son who has cerebral palsy. He attends public school in Davidson County. I am thankful that they still use paddling as a form of discipline.

Cerebral palsy? This is honestly kind of disgusting.

One of the main problems with this is that a kid who's mentally disabled often won't even get what their being punished for.

I think spanking is an effective means of disciplining children. But within the home, not in school.

I don't think spanking is valuable in a school setting, as there are other more effective means.

I also think the problems we are seeing in schools are not a reflection of the change in methods of punishment in schools, as much as it is a complete lack of responsibility by the parents who should be raising their kids better.

I can believe that. That's why I think it's unwise to politicise this issue. It blurs the lines between a parent disciplining their child and physical abuse. The problem with that is, that in most cases, that's not a blury line.

Fat chance, Mott. Boys will be boys, and liberals will be liberals.

And that's the problem with you on the far right. You jump to conclusions before you've either read or stoped to think. I didn't say it was used for motivationg students. I said that it was counterproductive to motivating students. And who is demonising the act? I'm criticising it as a useless educational method, which it is. If you need to paddle a child, in a class room in order to maintain discipline in the class room, then you are a seriously inadequate teacher.
Or you have students whose parents won't discipline them.

Here's a question I will pose. Does unruly students in modern schools result from lack of parenting at home or lack of discipline in schools? By this I mean, could parents apply strong discipline at home including corporal punishment, but by having schools operate as they do now, behavior would remain the same in schools?

Personally, I would not advocate going back to the old ways in the schools, and I do blame lack of parenting for modern problems of behavior in schools.

Or you have students whose parents won't discipline them.
That's an excuse. If the parents won't discipline their children and the children are disrupting the class room then you can simply remove the children from the class room and notify the parents that if they don't discipline their children then there will be legal consequences for the parents.

Here's a question I will pose. Does unruly students in modern schools result from lack of parenting at home or lack of discipline in schools? By this I mean, could parents apply strong discipline at home including corporal punishment, but by having schools operate as they do now, behavior would remain the same in schools?

Personally, I would not advocate going back to the old ways in the schools, and I do blame lack of parenting for modern problems of behavior in schools.
Let's be clear here. Were not discussing "Discipline in Schools". Discipline in schools is a very good thing and there are many more affective ways to discipline students then corporal punishment.

Back