states where the most people go hungry

But they will suffer all the problems that come with obesity - diabetes, heart issues, etc. So they will die sooner.

They are obese because cheap food is high calorie food in many cases; as the article says

So why do you want poor people to die sooner from low quality food and all the associated problems?

(And PLEASE, Annie - don't weigh in again about how you always made healthy choices on a very low budget and how perfect you and your kids are, ok? Tired of that story. )

It doesn't appear that SNAP benefits differ in amounts between the states:

http://www.cbpp.org/cms/index.cfm?fa=view&id=1269

So why do the poorest states have so many struggling with hunger and obesity? Could it be education, including educating themselves on nutrition? If this is so prevalent in certain areas, why aren't the benefits people helping to educate their clients?

Tekky seems to want to make it difficult for me to participate, I've tried to share some of the things that have worked-without being 'rich' as some other poster attempted to imply regarding where I live. Not sure what got a hair up Tekky's rear, but if I offended her, my apologies.

Some folks that make their budgets while not eating empty calories and gaining excessive weight:

http://newbrokefoodie.blogspot.com/2012/02/eating-on-less-than-200-month.html

recipes can be found, here's the basis of her approach, (if someone can't afford Costco, etc., Aldis is pretty prevalent in many areas. If no good low cost markets, dollar stores carry the true basics.):

Eating on less than $200 a month
I'm in the process of revamping this blog, so hang on. I'll be tweaking the format, changing the pictures, etc., and marketing it much more aggressively. It's about time this thing started paying for itself. So tell your friends!

But for those of you who haven't been here since the beginning, I'm feeding two people three meals a day, good healthy ones, for less than $200 a month. When my husband and I lived in San Diego, I could do it for $160 a month, primarily because the local fruits and veggies were so cheap. On the East Coast, it's a little more. Here's how the system works:

* I cook. I plan ahead, I work the sales, I utilize every scrap of everything. (This sounds like a lot of work, but I spend an average of half an hour to 45 minutes a day in the kitchen, and about two minutes a day of planning.)
* I buy in bulk. Costco or Sam's Club or whatever your local warehouse store is, at the very least buy your non-perishables there. I can get a year's worth of generic laundry detergent for $14, a gallon of milk for less than $3, 36 eggs for less than $2, and 25 pounds of flour for $6. The savings add up quickly. Granted, shopping in bulk will often push the per-month totals above $200, but it amortizes out across the year.
* In summer, I join a CSA (community-supported agriculture, where you buy a share of a local farm's produce and get a box of fresh fruits and veggies from that farm every week); in winter, I shop the sales. Either way, I don't buy anything out of season. No strawberries or lettuce in January, no spinach in June. Not only is it more expensive, out-of-season produce usually tastes gross. Right now I'm eating a lot of winter greens (kale, mustard and collard greens), apples and potatoes, and I use frozen spinach in a lot of stuff.
* Leftovers are lunches.
* I usually fix one thing per meal and that's it. Meat + side dishes is expensive; I make one thing (soup, rice and beans, spaghetti, whatever) and that's what we eat.
* Most importantly, I don't buy crap. No soda, no cereal, no deli meat, no convenience foods--pre-shredded cheese, microwaveable anything, canned soup--no chips, no snack foods, basically I avoid anything that comes in a package. I make my own bread and yogurt, I use dried beans instead of canned, and the only canned vegetables I buy are tomatoes. (In bulk.) Not only is not buying all that stuff cheaper, I'm also not buying a lot of chemicals and preservatives, I'm not buying a lot of disposable packaging that then sits in a landfill, I'm not giving my hard-earned money to a corporation that already has plenty, I'm not buying a bunch of empty calories, and I get to eat a lot of really healthy, fresh, tasty food. Plus, I eat as much cheese and bacon as my heart desires, and I'm still a size 8.

So all the recipes you see on here are the product of the $200 budget, using whatever I've got on hand. I'm eating all these things. This month I've already spent about $150, replenishing the basics, so I won't be doing any more shopping for at least two more weeks. You guys can help keep me honest.

and another:

http://simpleeconomist.com/healthy-eating-for-a-family-on-200-a-month/

If you check it out, you'll find repetition to the first, along with something I wrote here before, from what tekky posted. While the recipes may change, the basics of buying on sale, planning what one is going to cook, including small amounts of protein, lots of veggies, reasonable amounts of carbs, fruits, dairy, etc. is what healthy humans need.

This isn't brain surgery and a high school diploma is not required, most 5th graders could plan healthy meals for a week with the correct information.

Why do some folks hate on anyone encouraging better health? Is it your belief that 'poor people' should just get fat off of chips, pop, candy, then die? Are they just inferior or does it somehow make you feel 'good' to want to give them more of what's killing them?

actually they have hardly any who are hungry.......the kids get breakfast and lunch at school........they get food stamps.....they have food pantries.....they have soup kitchens.......its just that a small percentage of the population (20% in the worst) have to utilize those services.....

I think it's likely that some obese children and adults are actually hungry, in spite of eating and drinking too many calories day in and day out.

God I hate when you start with this stupid shit. You say it over and over. You are such a pompous asshole.

I think that people like you are really amazing. Living a very privileged life, which is fine, but there are people who privilege seems to make immune to empathy. There is no need to congratulate yourself on knowing which healthy foods are inexpensive. I bet you eat plenty of expensive food.

If you were less interested in congratulating yourself on how superior you are, and more interested in understanding others, you might try and envision what it would be like to work two low-paying, back-breaking jobs, or even one long shift as a hotel maid, and then have to stop and buy fresh vegetables or oatmeal and go home and cook it. And how being bone-tired easily induces people to making poor long term choices out of sheer exhaustion.

Further, people like you and I can put off pleasure today for pleasure we expect tomorrow. How easy to forgo a treat today when we know tomorrow we have an event we are looking forward to. A new outfit to buy. A vacation to go on. But when you have very little in the way of daily pleasures, and are exhausted to boot, a fucking big mac and fries is a very understandable choice to make for dinner.

Shorter me: Just shut up, please.

The excuse is that it's too 'tiring' to prepare healthy food? That's total BS.

It does take time to prepare SOME foods. Has nothing to do with costs. I'm exhausted when I get home from work too and I have to make the same choices and it's not based on $$.

When I was 10 I was capable of starting some things for dinner at my house when I got home from school. Helping. And at 13 coming home with parents still at work and starting dinner. It wasnt that hard. Kids can help too.

There are also plenty of foods that dont need that much prep. Canned vegs arent expensive at all. Frozen vegs not much more expensive.

This is an excuse. People are just infatuated with what they see in TV commercials....yeah, I'd like to eat out and eat fancy alot more too. too bad for me.

Back