Store chain requiring ID - racist?

Big Money

Long-Nail-Designs-For-Women+%25288%2529.jpg

A big item for women across the country won't be very easy to buy in one national drugstore chain.

The CVS Drugstore chain now requires an ID to purchase nail polish remover.

They will only sell the product to people over the age of 18.

http://www.woi-tv.com/story/23140028/bring-your-id-the-next-time-you-buy-nail-polish-remover

First off...how could it be racist? It doesn't say that only minorities show their ID...or only white people show their ID.

As far as the Constitution and "rights"? How many rights are actually defined in the Constitution? Many of them say "shall not be abridged" and so on....but how many are actually defined?

I mean....if we want to go minimalistic on voting rights...then why can't we go minimalistic on gun rights, or right to be free from illegal search and seizure?

Do you know that the "right to vote" is mentioned five times in the Constitution? More than any other "right"?

I love the way some of you get all Constitutional on issues that you are passionate about...but are more than willing to throw away that same ideology on others.

Is it irrelevant to voter ID laws?

I'm cool with voter ID....on two conditions....it's free....and easily accessible. I'm talking real easy....like for poor people to go down to the welfare office, get their pictures taken and slapped on an ID card for voting purposes.....or their Public Library.

What I don't agree with, and I'll fight it tooth and nail if it "conveniently" becomes general practice...is what Wisconsin pulled(or tried to...I don't know if it actually went into effect or not) is to make a voter ID law tied to the DMV and then shut down the DMV offices in poor, minority filled areas...making it more difficult for those people with little means to go get one.

That's gerrymandering....Here in PA, one of our state congressmen was quoted as saying that "this law has just allowed Romney to win Pennsylvania".

Good. Do you think laws requiring ID to purchase firearms are intended to keep minorities from exercising their Second Amendment rights?

Ridiculous.....first off.....YOU are the one making this a race issue.....I'm claiming that VOTER ID is not so much about mysterious mass voter fraud that no one seems to be able to prove beyond a few isolated incidents...but it's about making it more difficult for poor people(who tend to vote Dem) to vote.....just because more minorities are poor than whites, doesn't make the bigotry racial. Otherwise....Wisconsin wouldn't have pulled what they did.

Firearms are different....legally, you cannot own firearms if convicted of a violent crime or have severe mental illness. Plus....voting hasn't killed anyone directly.

If you allegedly believe in Freedom....why does your "Freedom Gene" begin and end with firearms? There's a hell of a lot more evidence of people buying firearms through private purchases and States that have "relaxed" gun show policies than there EVER was of voter fraud.

But yet you support voter ID and oppose Toomey/Manchin.

The biggest issue I have with Toomey/Manchin is that it puts an unfair burden on citizens in rural States. In my state(PA), you can find a firearm dealer without much hassle who can do the check(which I think should be free). But in Montana, or Alaska....or some other "wide open spaces" state....you may have to travel hours to get to a FFL.

Perhaps the two(voter ID and firearms check) could be married? IIRC, if you are a felon, you can't do either. If you are arrested of a felony offense, they pull your ID until your trial....if you are convicted, they destroy it....if you are acquitted, they return it.

Ridiculous.....first off.....YOU are the one making this a race issue.....I'm claiming that VOTER ID is not so much about mysterious mass voter fraud that no one seems to be able to prove beyond a few isolated incidents...but it's about making it more difficult for poor people(who tend to vote Dem) to vote.....just because more minorities are poor than whites, doesn't make the bigotry racial. Otherwise....Wisconsin wouldn't have pulled what they did. Firearms are different....legally, you cannot own firearms if convicted of a violent crime or have severe mental illness. Plus....voting hasn't killed anyone directly. If you allegedly believe in Freedom....why does your "Freedom Gene" begin and end with firearms? There's a hell of a lot more evidence of people buying firearms through private purchases and States that have "relaxed" gun show policies than there EVER was of voter fraud.
But yet you support voter ID and oppose Toomey/Manchin. The biggest issue I have with Toomey/Manchin is that it puts an unfair burden on citizens in rural States. In my state(PA), you can find a firearm dealer without much hassle who can do the check(which I think should be free). But in Montana, or Alaska....or some other "wide open spaces" state....you may have to travel hours to get to a FFL. Perhaps the two(voter ID and firearms check) could be married? IIRC, if you are a felon, you can't do either. If you are arrested of a felony offense, they pull your ID until your trial....if you are convicted, they destroy it....if you are acquitted, they return it.

First of all, I have never said that I support voter ID laws.

That said, many liberals claim voter ID laws are racist.

The right to bear arms is constitutionally guaranteed. Period. No conditions.

If a law requiring voters to show ID is racist, why isn't a law requiring ID to buy guns also racist?

First of all, I have never said that I support voter ID laws.

That said, many liberals claim voter ID laws are racist.

The right to bear arms is constitutionally guaranteed. Period. No conditions.

If a law requiring voters to show ID is racist, why isn't a law requiring ID to buy guns also racist?

Well...then you need to talk with someone else...because, IMO it isn't about race....AS I STATED BEFORE....but about the GOP gerrymandering poor folk hoping they don't have the resources or the inclination to go get an ID to.vote.

Back