Store chain requiring ID - racist?

Well...then you need to talk with someone else...because, IMO it isn't about race....AS I STATED BEFORE....but about the GOP gerrymandering poor folk hoping they don't have the resources or the inclination to go get an ID to.vote.

Good, you agree that voter ID laws aren't inherently racist.

How come ID requirements for purchasing firearms aren't oppressive to the poor?

If a person can afford to go vote they can afford an ID. Rights cannot be charged for their legitimate exercise (See the Poll Tax).

False analogy...voting....in and of itself....is 100% free to a US citizen. Purchasing a firearm is in no way, shape or form.....free.

So then guns should be given out for free at the expense of government? Hell, sign me up. I'd like a 9mm semi-auto. I have a revolver...

Well that'd be ideal, but I'm speaking about idea of needing an ID. Its a fallacy to say you HAVE to purchase a firearm. I can be given one for example.

They aren't....if a poor person can afford a legally purchased firearm, then they can afford an ID.

In states requiring an ID to vote they can get one for free, this is because the SCOTUS determined that charging for an ID then requiring it for voting is a Poll Tax. Do you think poor people should be able to get an ID they can use to buy firearms for free?

Well that'd be ideal, but I'm speaking about idea of needing an ID. Its a fallacy to say you HAVE to purchase a firearm. I can be given one for example.

Not here you can't, not without a background check unless it is from immediate family.

So then guns should be given out for free at the expense of government? Hell, sign me up. I'd like a 9mm semi-auto. I have a revolver...

It's not a fee. A fee is charged by the government as a requisite to be able to exercise a right or freedom. In order to receive a gun as a gift I must pay a fee.

I mean, if you're going to require an ID for one right, why not all rights? Like, you cannot purchase books without a state issue ID, or go to church, or talk on a cell phone, or have a jury or lawyer for trail without a (valid) ID.

In states requiring an ID to vote they can get one for free, this is because the SCOTUS determined that charging for an ID then requiring it for voting is a Poll Tax. Do you think poor people should be able to get an ID they can use to buy firearms for free?

I believe I answered this....either earlier in this thread or in another.

Yes.....and to further confound you...I said they ought to be easily accessible. Like at welfare offices, courthouses and even public libraries. I even offered up the idea that the voter ID and the Firearms ID be combined...I think the firearms ID should be combined with Driver's licenses too.

The whole ID thingy is bullshit.

There is NO voter fraud to end.

study after study shows no fucking voters trying to vote twice or dead or whatever the current republican lie is.

Ask yourselves WHY the right is all of the sudden all hip on the idea of spending tax dollars on something we don't need?

why don't you and the republican party run on that one

it's not an opinion you dumbass mouthbreather. the constitution doesn't guarantee your right to vote anywhere, you are only not allowed to discriminate based on certain factors. (race/sex/ etc)

you can make up all sorts of laws to disqualify people. ID laws is just one example.

or

1) If someone is a felon.
2) Time limits on how long early voting is or if it exists at all.
3) The fact you can't vote if you are under a certain age.
4) the fact you have to be a naturalized citizen

I was specifically addressing your comment in reference to a "constitutional right"

A constitutional right to vote doesn't really exist.

it's not an opinion you dumbass mouthbreather. the constitution doesn't guarantee your right to vote anywhere, you are only not allowed to discriminate based on certain factors. (race/sex/ etc)

you can make up all sorts of laws to disqualify people. ID laws is just one example.

or

I was specifically addressing your comment in reference to a "constitutional right"

Then why are the specific words "right to vote" mentioned five times in the constitution? More than ANY other right, I might add.

I mean hell....If we're going to play that game...where is the constitutional right to carry more than a flintlock musket?...it doesn't give you the Constitutional right to upgrade your arms from the days of the Revolution.

or

Its pretty implied that it does, considering the several amendments that deal with it. That said it seems strict scrutiny doesn't apply to it.

Then why are the specific words "right to vote" mentioned five times in the constitution? More than ANY other right, I might add.

I mean hell....If we're going to play that game...where is the constitutional right to carry more than a flintlock musket?...it doesn't give you the Constitutional right to upgrade your arms from the days of the Revolution.

Yeah it does. Article 1, section 8. Among the powers of Congress is the ability to issues Letter of Marque. Pretty much means we have the right to own a fully functional battle ship.

Back