Thailand's foreign retirees see their good life slip away

We are coming up to the hot season, which is typically between April and June. Not the best time of year admittedly going out and about on foot can be a very sweaty affair. I personally love the rainy season as it cleans the air and the humidity drops considerably. The most clement weather is between November and March, not too hot and low humidity. Of course that's when the hordes of tourists come as well, not now of course as all the Chinese and Koreans have gone home. Still we have the Russians, such lovely outgoing people always laughing and smiling, I am joking of course!!
Yea Euro’s here are notorious for not being very approachable. They seem to think the open, friendly and boisterous American attitude is some sort of act and that, despite the evidence to the contrary, deep down inside we are as stern and reserved as they are. Here’s what I don’t get. They think we’re assholes for being that way and not the other way around.

Granted we don’t see many Eastern a Europeans in the US...probably cause they are too poor. Most of the ones I’ve met are doing menial jobs.

Pretty much all hotels and apartments have aircon, I don't really need it much except between April to June when it's very hot and sticky. Usually just get by with fans or nothing in the cool season.

That’s been my experience too. During the hot season you only come out at night!

They're not for the fainting tulips, for sure. lol

We're close to the Lake so although we get a crapton of snow, the temps are moderate compared to interior U.P. For instance, a week or so ago when I left the house it was bright and sunny and -- according to our weather station -- 13F. By the time I got up to the highway (about a mile as Crow flies) it was 5F. Intense cold like that doesn't usually last more than a couple of days though, probably because it's usually coupled with a high pressure system. We're mostly dominated by low pressure systems, hence the more maritime climate that you love about Scotland.

Been to the UP a number of times. Spectacularly beautiful there.

I always felt like summer in SF was in October. On balance my sweet spot is 60 degrees F, brisk, fog or overcast. Paradise!

Well you’d love central Ohio in the fall. Particularly in the areas around Kenyon and Coshocton or the Southeast piedmont region in the Ohio River valley around Athens and Muskingum, or Hoking Hills, Mid 60’s and the colors are spectacular.

Besides when the Sun goes down in the Tropics temps drop to a comfortably into the 70’s. Not to mention the breeze coming in off the Ocean. It seems you’re looking for the worst and finding it. ;)

Eureka! lol

I considered 80F too hot when we still lived down in the sweltering center of the country. Like Cypress I'm a creature of north winds, snow and ice, and clear cold waters. My favorite word in Ojibwe is Giiwedinong. Its literal translation is "place of the north wind." But its true meaning is more like "northern place that is home."

Well you’d love central Ohio in the fall. Particularly in the areas around Kenyon and Coshocton or the Southeast piedmont region in the Ohio River valley around Athens and Muskingum, or Hoking Hills, Mid 60’s and the colors are spectacular.

I have always thought Ohio was underrated as a state. I frankly think the Great Lakes region is pretty spectacular. I am most familiar with the Ontario part of it, but there is no question that upper Michigan, Upper Wisconsin, upstate New York are totally under-rated for their natural beauty, crystalline northern waters, rugged glaciated landscapes.

I have always thought Ohio was underrated as a state. I frankly think the Great Lakes region is pretty spectacular. I am most familiar with the Ontario part of it, but there is no question that upper Michigan, Upper Wisconsin, upstate New York are totally under-rated for their natural beauty, crystalline northern waters, rugged glaciated landscapes.

Don't forget Northern Minnesota. It has all those regions beat.

Ohio in the west part of the State is pretty "meh" and the Lake Erie shore is heavily industrialized, so it doesn't compare with most of the other great lakes regions but Ohio east of Columbus is Piedmont country with lots of rolling hills and forests and the Ohio river valley is always very scenic with the South East quadrant of the State being where the last remains of the old growth forest that once covered Ohio remains.

Ohio in the west part of the State is pretty "meh" and the Lake Erie shore is heavily industrialized, so it doesn't compare with most of the other great lakes regions but Ohio east of Columbus is Piedmont country with lots of rolling hills and forests and the Ohio river valley is always very scenic with the South East quadrant of the State being where the last remains of the old growth forest that once covered Ohio remains.

Yes, some parts of the Great Lakes region are better than others. How could I forget boundary waters in northern Minnesota?
I have always loved upstate New York, the Adirondacks. Canadian Shield in Ontario and Quebec, and the boreal forests therein, also constitute part of the fabric of the northern landscape which really appeals to me.

My grandparents had a cottage in Lake Erie and we went as kids (a long time ago in other words). I remember driving their golf cart around and my grandfather had like a '57 Chevy (or something old like that). I was young so I didn't know better but seemed like a cool place to me.

My grandparents had a cottage in Lake Erie and we went as kids (a long time ago in other words). I remember driving their golf cart around and my grandfather had like a '57 Chevy (or something old like that). I was young so I didn't know better but seemed like a cool place to me.

It is but I wouldn't compare it to the shores of Lake Superior in terms of scenic beauty.

Spent many summer on Gem Beach...Kelley's Island... Catawba....at Port Clinton...How those areas have changed...any of you remember peanut butter burgers at the Beer Palace?

Spent many summer on Gem Beach...Kelley's Island... Catawba....at Port Clinton...How those areas have changed...any of you remember peanut butter burgers at the Beer Palace?

Honestly, it was so long ago I do not remember. My mom grew up in Columbus and went to Lake Erie quite a bit. I made a couple of trips but this was like elementary and middle school age so the memories are very vague unfortunately.

What is Palawan?

It’s an Island in the Philippines archipelago and it is world famous for its beauty.
kayangan-lake-coron-island-palawan-philippines-shutterstock_1404164243.jpg

Back