Thailand's foreign retirees see their good life slip away

Beautiful! Absolutely stunning. Is it a tourist mecca?

Yes tourism is it's biggest source of revenue. For Island and Beach locations Palawan is one of the top rated in the world. They see around 2 million tourist a year. That's pretty sizeable but not nearly as many as other popular tourist locations.

You should go to Phang-nga near Phuket, they filmed part of The Man With The Golden Gun there.

View attachment 14549

View attachment 14552

Oh I would dearly love to but you know how it is. With my wife being fanatically devoted (and in her case fanatical is an understatement) to her parents, if I go to SE Asia virtually the entire vacation will be spent on her parents farm in central Luzon, with maybe a day trip to Baguio in the Mountains or the Gulf on Lingayen for a trip to the beach with no hope what so ever of traveling anywhere without bringing the entire family along, family reunion style.

Yes tourism is it's biggest source of revenue. For Island and Beach locations Palawan is one of the top rated in the world. They see around 2 million tourist a year. That's pretty sizeable but not nearly as many as other popular tourist locations.

It's easy to see why it's so popular.

Oh I would dearly love to but you know how it is. With my wife being fanatically devoted (and in her case fanatical is an understatement) to her parents, if I go to SE Asia virtually the entire vacation will be spent on her parents farm in central Luzon, with maybe a day trip to Baguio in the Mountains or the Gulf on Lingayen for a trip to the beach with no hope what so ever of traveling anywhere without bringing the entire family along, family reunion style.

Yeh you said before, they sound like a bunch of freeloaders to be honest. You should be able to have some quality time alone with the missus on a beach necking a few San Miguel beers.

Yeh you said before, they sound like a bunch of freeloaders to be honest. You should be able to have some quality time alone with the missus on a beach necking a few San Miguel beers.

Oh no I didn’t mean to give that impression at all. That is purely my wife’s doing. That and her sisters. You want to talk about completely oblivious and clueless. They simply cannot get their head around that someone would rather sit around the farm all day eating Filipino farm food or that you might want to do something alone. Their imaginations don’t go that far and if I want to something that isn’t on their list then it ain’t going to happen unless I pull the Western man card of “fuck you, I’m the man and I make the decisions, get used to that.”.

Which oddly enough they respect but still remain clueless.

So honestly I dread going over there anymore. It’s not quite as bad as spending a couple of weeks in the county lock up but it’s that level of fun. Even my wife’s family here in the US (excepting her even more clueless older sister) has asked her to chill out and quit being a control freak as it totally ruins the experience for me and I’m glad they get that but my wife still doesn’t so I’m ambivalent about traveling there anymore. I’d prefer not to until she can chill out.

Oh no I didn’t mean to give that impression at all. That is purely my wife’s doing. That and her sisters. You want to talk about completely oblivious and clueless. They simply cannot get their head around that someone would rather sit around the farm all day eating Filipino farm food or that you might want to do something alone. Their imaginations don’t go that far and if I want to something that isn’t on their list then it ain’t going to happen unless I pull the Western man card of “fuck you, I’m the man and I make the decisions, get used to that.”.

Which oddly enough they respect but still remain clueless.

So honestly I dread going over there anymore. It’s not quite as bad as spending a couple of weeks in the county lock up but it’s that level of fun. Even my wife’s family here in the US (excepting her even more clueless older sister) has asked her to chill out and quit being a control freak as it totally ruins the experience for me and I’m glad they get that but my wife still doesn’t so I’m ambivalent about traveling there anymore. I’d prefer not to until she can chill out.

Have you never been to Angeles or Subic Bay?

Have you never been to Angeles or Subic Bay?

Snuck into Angeles City with my brother in-law one time when he and I took the car to a nearby mall to go shopping. We snuck off to Angeles and we were there an hour when my wife had figured it out. She had a royal meltdown and started calling me every two minutes until we both said “fuck it” and left. I was so fucking mad when I got back and she could not understand why I was pissed. The next night she did it to me again. She and her sisters wanted to take a bus for four hours to go visit an elderly Aunt in some remote village and were gob smacked when I told them I didn’t want to go. They literally did not believe me. When it came time to catch the bus they were like “Hurry up. It’s time to catch the bus.” And I said “I told you I wasn’t going” and I literally had tell them four times “I’m not going” before it finally sunk in that I wasn’t going.

Well the misses was royally pissed that I didn’t want to take a 4 hour bus ride to the middle of no where, with nothing to do, with a bunch of scattered brained women making decisions for me. So she started to meltdown again and wanted to know what I was going to do in her absence. I told I was going to the pub in the village down the road with my bro-in-law for a few beers. She literally shrieked in rage and called the bus trip to visit Auntie off so that she could chaperone me to the pub that night. Then her and her sisters and most of the females in the family were pissed at me and the guys were laughing at me.

So I gave up and told her I would stay at the house and not go out. That established peace again but that night when the misses got back I told her that if this was going to be her attitude when I came to visit that I wouldn’t come back. She tried the boo hoo routine on me but it’s been 6 years and I haven’t been back cause the misses won’t chill out. Even her family members have tried telling her she’s crazy on this subject for some reason but she won’t compromise. It’s truly bizarre,

Snuck into Angeles City with my brother in-law one time when he and I took the car to a nearby mall to go shopping. We snuck off to Angeles and we were there an hour when my wife had figured it out. She had a royal meltdown and started calling me every two minutes until we both said “fuck it” and left. I was so fucking mad when I got back and she could not understand why I was pissed. The next night she did it to me again. She and her sisters wanted to take a bus for four hours to go visit an elderly Aunt in some remote village and were gob smacked when I told them I didn’t want to go. They literally did not believe me. When it came time to catch the bus they were like “Hurry up. It’s time to catch the bus.” And I said “I told you I wasn’t going” and I literally had tell them four times “I’m not going” before it finally sunk in that I wasn’t going.

Well the misses was royally pissed that I didn’t want to take a 4 hour bus ride to the middle of no where, with nothing to do, with a bunch of scattered brained women making decisions for me. So she started to meltdown again and wanted to know what I was going to do in her absence. I told I was going to the pub in the village down the road with my bro-in-law for a few beers. She literally shrieked in rage and called the bus trip to visit Auntie off so that she could chaperone me to the pub that night. Then her and her sisters and most of the females in the family were pissed at me and the guys were laughing at me.

So I gave up and told her I would stay at the house and not go out. That established peace again but that night when the misses got back I told her that if this was going to be her attitude when I came to visit that I wouldn’t come back. She tried the boo hoo routine on me but it’s been 6 years and I haven’t been back cause the misses won’t chill out. Even her family members have tried telling her she’s crazy on this subject for some reason but she won’t compromise. It’s truly bizarre,

Wow, that's truly mental. I mean you don't really get long vacations in the US, so why would want to go some bloody place in the sticks on a slow bus? Don't they have Grab or Uber out there? Come to that why can't she hire a car and leave you to enjoy some time with boys? Thai women can certainly get jealous but they grow out of that crap when they get into their forties, well most of them anyway.

Wow, that's truly mental. I mean you don't really get long vacations in the US, so why would want to go some bloody place in the sticks on a slow bus? Don't they have Grab or Uber out there? Come to that why can't she hire a car and leave you to enjoy some time with boys? Thai women can certainly get jealous but they grow out of that crap when they get into their forties, well most of them anyway.

Well you did perceive what the true problem is. She is deathly afraid and jealous that I’ll go whoring if I’m let alone by myself when we visit the Phils. Therefore I can’t do a damned thing by myself without her having a meltdown.

It almost out of character for her cause she doesn’t really care about that when we’re here in the US. Which is bizarre cause if I was of a mind to do that it would certainly be more cost affective to do here and easier to arrange.

Oh well she’s promised to chill out and that we can have a few days to ourselves at Boracay, just her and I. I told her she promised me the last time we went and she purposely fucked that up. If she does it this time I’ll go stay in Manila for the rest of the trip with or without her and I don’t give a damn if it embarrasses her with her family.

Well you did perceive what the true problem is. She is deathly afraid and jealous that I’ll go whoring if I’m let alone by myself when we visit the Phils. Therefore I can’t do a damned thing by myself without her having a meltdown.

It almost out of character for her cause she doesn’t really care about that when we’re here in the US. Which is bizarre cause if I was of a mind to do that it would certainly be more cost affective to do here and easier to arrange.

Oh well she’s promised to chill out and that we can have a few days to ourselves at Boracay, just her and I. I told her she promised me the last time we went and she purposely fucked that up. If she does it this time I’ll go stay in Manila for the rest of the trip with or without her and I don’t give a damn if it embarrasses her with her family.

To be honest I don't really see why she gets so uptight. It's obvious that you love the crazy woman to bits, how does she get so insecure about you wanting some beer time with the boys?

To be honest I don't really see why she gets so uptight. It's obvious that you love the crazy woman to bits, how does she get so insecure about you wanting some beer time with the boys?

LOL If I could answer that question I'd be a far wealthier man than I am. She's a great woman. It's just she's nutso about this one thing which is a royal bummer to me cause the PI is such a beautiful country and who would rather sit for two weeks on a farm and do nothing or go exploring? I think another part of it is that once we get there she can't stand the idea of being away from her parents cause she only gets to see them once a year.

Back