The abortion issue...

http://www.abortionfacts.com/reardon/abortion_and_suicide.asp

My main objection to current abortion law is that it would keep needed information from me that could help my daughter if she was in such a state. There is strong evidence that a teenage girl who has an abortion has a much higher risk of suicide than one who has not had an abortion, I need to know if my daughter needs help, to be notified that I should be watching for such.

That I would personally ache at the soul because of her choice to have such a procedure wouldn't change that I want my daughter to get all the help necessary to keep her mentally healthy and be ready to get it for her if such need arises.

While the passive voice undoubtedly set on edge the teeth of some purists and pundits of style, it was grammatically quite correct.

Nope, not correct. He used the adjective "certain" to modify the noun, denoting condition and quality of the presumption, which was also described by the suffixes of the compound word 'presumptuousness'. It was redundant to state it the way he stated it, and quite grammatically incorrect. Had Obama said, "there is presumptuousness" it would have been grammatically accurate, but that wasn't what he actually said.

For the record, I am not the one making a big deal of this, other than to argue the point for the sake of truth and accuracy. You pinhead morons can run around claiming he didn't use improper grammar all you like, and I will be correcting you until you decide to stop it. If you want to make this the topic we all discuss in every thread from now until the end of time, that is fine by me, it still will not change the facts and truth.

The fact that they would work to end that life, therefore many stand in the way because of the morality of it. The Fed Gov't under just such a person would not fund such research, etc. So "excuse me" but I do live in the reality of the situation and offer a solution that both sides could embrace.
You're suggesting that unless we criminalize abortion people will be prevented from donating fetuses to science or making them available for transplantation? How does that follow?

You did not answer my question. What forces, right now, stand in the way of such a donation? I submit that there are none, other than lack of recipients.

If you want to increase federal funding to research programs that might make good use of aborted fetuses then I agree with a whole heart. We can organize support together.

If you want to make available some sort of network of infertile women looking to implant unwanted fetuses from donors then I'm all for that, too. It sounds like a great idea to me, even though I expect that the success rate will be low, at least initially. Definitely a "win-win" scenario though. I'd support federal money for such a network.

Suppose, however, we have a woman who does not want to take advantage of either option. Or, perhaps, there simply aren't any recipients available at the time crucial to her. What then? Will she be permitted an abortion, if that's her choice, or not?

Honestly, I still don't see the parameters of your offered solution. It's entirely possible that we've nothing to argue over . . . yet I can't escape this nagging sense of antagonism there. Call me paranoid, if you wish.
Just as we cannot make somebody donate a kidney upon death. But since such a program has, even if successful, the same effect for the woman as an abortion (the unwanted child would be removed and she would have no further responsibility toward it) it gives a more reasoned choice.
It gives a choice that you, personally, consider more "reasoned." It strikes me, though, that what you want is no more "reasoned" than the other. It's simply based on a different set of emotions.

You are, a priori, dismissing all of her potential concerns about having a gene-child raised in the world without her input or consent. I'm not willing to reject out of hand any qualms she might have. Her genetic descendant will be raised by . . . whomever. Evangelicals or Satanists, maybe. Who knows? I certainly don't. A woman may choose to give up her child for adoption, or she may be forced into such a decision by circumstance, but I simply can't imagine supporting any law which might force her to do so, short of criminal behavior on her part.

It seems to me that you want to treat a fetus as an unborn child, but only so far as is convenient to your pre-existing position.

In short, I've no idea exactly why a woman might choose to avoid donating her developing fetus to another woman or to a scientific research program. I've no right to make such a blanket judgment. Nor do you, in my opinion.

You yourself say that we cannot force someone to donate a kidney unless she chooses to do so. I agree, for a number of reasons. Those same reasons apply to a fetus. A fetus is different only insofar as it is a distinct, separate human being, imbued with human rights.

Now, I admit that I'm biased. I do not and cannot see such a status conferred upon a 5 or 6 week fetus. That strikes me as a travesty and a grotesque diminution of personhood. This is another emotional reaction: the very idea literally makes me nauseous. More to the point, though, is the fact that there is no objective standard by which we can say that my position -- my prejudicial reaction -- is either right or wrong.
I would prefer if we chose to do this as a society rather than abortion. As I stated, the effect would be the same for the woman in the end. She could choose to carry or not and to raise a child or not, with much the same danger, all while society would not work to end lives wholesale without purpose other than to appease such a choice.
I agree that such a choice is . . . less emotionally disturbing. For an individual. Societies, though, make their choices through law, generally speaking. I do not and never will support any law that would criminalize a choice to the contrary. There are far too many possible reasons for not making the choice I would approve of most.
So you would force them to have only abortion as an option. To keep such a choice out of the reach of most women because of the cost...
Absolutely untrue. What in my position would deny these options to anyone? My position is quite clear: the government should make no law at all criminalizing any of a woman's options for terminating an unwanted pregnancy during her early term. Later in the pregnancy society's interests in protecting the nascent rights of the potential child do come into play, but that's later.

I actually rather like the three trimester compromise of Roe v. Wade. It's not ultimately satisfying to any side but it is workable and clear.
Like I said, then it is your intent to force them to choose to kill or not kill. As I said I would prefer society made such an effort standard, but it isn't a requirement to find a real choice for reproduction for women. Such a program would advance this science well beyond what it is currently.
Not only is that not my intent, it isn't even the effect of my position. How do you arrive at this peculiar conclusion? My only concern is to not remove the traditional abortion as an option.
You keep saying, "Unless you intend". I intend only on promoting a solution, workable between both sides of the issue, that allows women to have much the same choice without the negative of working toward the sole solution of death for the unwanted.
Again, what is your proposed solution? Unless you are willing to criminalize abortion, your plan simply will not satisfy the fanatics of the anti-choice movement. And if you intend to criminalize early term abortion, I cannot support your proposal.

This stick is deeply cleft indeed. Time to choose sides, alas.

I don't run from my "choice". I have given my opinion openly on this. I have presented a third idea that can be implemented if we wish and would present to us, later but real, a true reproductive choice for women while eliminating the idea that the only choice must be to kill or carry the burgeoning human life.

I am with you in your "third way". But its not a 3rd way because it entailes keeping abortion legal.

Well, how would you catagorize me, I personally am against abortion, I think it should not be done. I would support campaigns to end and prevent abortion short of making it illegal... However, I dont want the government to jump into people's reproductive and health decisions and thus dont think it should be illegal.

So am I pro-life.... Yup.

Am I pro-choice.... clearly.

Am I pro-death... clearly not

Am I pro-abortion... NO

Am I anti-abortion... yes.

How would you catagorize me.. using the modern pro-choice/Pro-life nomenclature?

After all of this... my question still stands. Using the modern Pro-Choice v. Pro-Life lables what am I if not both? And if I am both... are they not opposits? And if they are not opposits, what is the opposit of Pro-Choice? And what is the proper term for someone who personally is Pro-Life but wants abortion to remain legal?

Well, how would you catagorize me, I personally am against abortion, I think it should not be done. I would support campaigns to end and prevent abortion short of making it illegal... However, I dont want the government to jump into people's reproductive and health decisions and thus dont think it should be illegal.

Am I pro-abortion... NO

How would you catagorize me.. using the modern pro-choice/Pro-life nomenclature?

After all of this... my question still stands. Using the modern Pro-Choice v. Pro-Life lables what am I if not both? And if I am both... are they not opposits? And if they are not opposits, what is the opposit of Pro-Choice? And what is the proper term for someone who personally is Pro-Life but wants abortion to remain legal?
Clearly, you're a loony limousine lefty-liberal. Maybe even a lesbian! Loose of morals and libidinous of lifestyle, you louse.

You're suggesting that unless we criminalize abortion people will be prevented from donating fetuses to science or making them available for transplantation? How does that follow?

No, I am suggesting that we work towards an entirely different solution that allows for the Rights of a woman to choose and the right of life to progress. I am saying that donating a fetus after killing it is what those people object to. The idea that we started from a direct action to kill. And I again am speaking to the idea of what others believe and working out a compromise that works for both sides.

You did not answer my question. What forces, right now, stand in the way of such a donation? I submit that there are none, other than lack of recipients.

I did, those people who object to killing fetuses on moral grounds stand in the way. I even presented one person who works to prevent the Fed Gov't from giving funds to such. So, pretending that I didn't answer your question is pretense or simply a comprehension issue not a lack in my response.

If you want to increase federal funding to research programs that might make good use of aborted fetuses then I agree with a whole heart. We can organize support together.

Once again, you miss the step where we work first to save the young patient's life rather than to kill it, then if and when we are unable we work to use the remains to further this scientific endeavor.

If you want to make available some sort of network of infertile women looking to implant unwanted fetuses from donors then I'm all for that, too. It sounds like a great idea to me, even though I expect that the success rate will be low, at least initially. Definitely a "win-win" scenario though. I'd support federal money for such a network.
As would I.

Suppose, however, we have a woman who does not want to take advantage of either option. Or, perhaps, there simply aren't any recipients available at the time crucial to her. What then? Will she be permitted an abortion, if that's her choice, or not?

The idea is to make abortion as rare as possible, making it illegal would do the opposite as many who would provide them would have little, if any, need to work to prevent such things.

Honestly, I still don't see the parameters of your offered solution. It's entirely possible that we've nothing to argue over . . . yet I can't escape this nagging sense of antagonism there. Call me paranoid, if you wish.

It is because you know I want to save a life, you want to insure that others have the right to end a life, if they choose. Instead of entering a good conversation on what I believe is a good idea often we presume antagonism when others have a differing starting point. Especially on this subject. We feel the other side is often intellectual "enemies" and start the conversation from that point.

It gives a choice that you, personally, consider more "reasoned." It strikes me, though, that what you want is no more "reasoned" than the other. It's simply based on a different set of emotions.

You are, a priori, dismissing all of her potential concerns about having a gene-child raised in the world without her input or consent. I'm not willing to reject out of hand any qualms she might have. Her genetic descendant will be raised by . . . whomever. Evangelicals or Satanists, maybe. Who knows? I certainly don't. A woman may choose to give up her child for adoption, or she may be forced into such a decision by circumstance, but I simply can't imagine supporting any law which might force her to do so, short of criminal behavior on her part.

I am not. Such science would allow for freezing, donation, etc. I said I would hope society would work towards this in the end, but it isn't really a goal other than to make it the central idea rather than simply killing being the first choice given. The goal is to make it rare, not push it into the black market with no governing authority over the action of the providers.

It seems to me that you want to treat a fetus as an unborn child, but only so far as is convenient to your pre-existing position.

In short, I've no idea exactly why a woman might choose to avoid donating her developing fetus to another woman or to a scientific research program. I've no right to make such a blanket judgment. Nor do you, in my opinion.

You yourself say that we cannot force someone to donate a kidney unless she chooses to do so. I agree, for a number of reasons. Those same reasons apply to a fetus. A fetus is different only insofar as it is a distinct, separate human being, imbued with human rights.

Wow. I agree with this. However, as I stated before, I believe that making abortion illegal would not prevent abortion. I would work toward a time when this idea is the first presented. Given these three choices I know of one life that would have been saved, but I am not going into that personal story at this moment. It even gives men rights as well, their genetic progeny could be raised by the man who chose to have the child incubated outside the womb. Both parents would have the right to deny parenthood responsibility.

Now, I admit that I'm biased. I do not and cannot see such a status conferred upon a 5 or 6 week fetus. That strikes me as a travesty and a grotesque diminution of personhood. This is another emotional reaction: the very idea literally makes me nauseous. More to the point, though, is the fact that there is no objective standard by which we can say that my position -- my prejudicial reaction -- is either right or wrong.

I believe that a human life becomes a person when higher thought has been reached, therefore the level of "personhood" is your idea of adding to my argument what you think I believe rather than actually reading my remarks.

I agree that such a choice is . . . less emotionally disturbing. For an individual. Societies, though, make their choices through law, generally speaking. I do not and never will support any law that would criminalize a choice to the contrary. There are far too many possible reasons for not making the choice I would approve of most.

I have stated repeatedly that I think that making abortion illegal would not prevent abortion. I think criminalizing it would only make it so that those with less compunctions would be the lions share of providers.

Absolutely untrue. What in my position would deny these options to anyone? My position is quite clear: the government should make no law at all criminalizing any of a woman's options for terminating an unwanted pregnancy during her early term. Later in the pregnancy society's interests in protecting the nascent rights of the potential child do come into play, but that's later.

Obviously we agree here.

I actually rather like the three trimester compromise of Roe v. Wade. It's not ultimately satisfying to any side but it is workable and clear.

I prefer 20 weeks, when higher thought has been reached.

Not only is that not my intent, it isn't even the effect of my position. How do you arrive at this peculiar conclusion? My only concern is to not remove the traditional abortion as an option.

It was, and is, a way to show you how it feels when somebody simply states what you believe and it is wrong. I grow tired of reading from others what I "believe" and then reading arguments against it rather than reading answers to what I post. It has never been my intention to make abortion illegal. Ask Jarod, long ago on p.com he and I got into that one.

Again, what is your proposed solution? Unless you are willing to criminalize abortion, your plan simply will not satisfy the fanatics of the anti-choice movement. And if you intend to criminalize early term abortion, I cannot support your proposal.

This stick is deeply cleft indeed. Time to choose sides, alas.

You are doing it again. I will state it one more time. I do not believe that criminalizing abortion would ever prevent abortions, just push them into either a gray or black market.

I choose my side of MORE choice, of including a less negative choice into the process. I'd prefer we present it as the first choice when deciding to terminate a pregnancy rather than the current only choice of abortion.

Translator Needed: Send Resume

Damo, I honestly don't know what it is you are proposing. I take it that you don't want to outlaw abortion per se -- a very good thing -- but, OTOH, you do seem to want to start a campaign of state-sponsored propaganda.
No, I am suggesting that we work towards an entirely different solution that allows for the Rights of a woman to choose and the right of life to progress. I am saying that donating a fetus after killing it is what those people object to. The idea that we started from a direct action to kill. And I again am speaking to the idea of what others believe and working out a compromise that works for both sides.
"Work toward?" What does that mean, exactly? If we're not going to criminalize abortion -- to which I will gladly stipulate -- then what does this "work" entail?

I've no problem with state-sponsored propaganda in principle. The modern anti-smoking campaigns are examples I don't object to. Hell, the dratted Pledge of Allegiance is state-sponsored propaganda. When we engage in it, however, I want it to be as transparent as possible.
I did, those people who object to killing fetuses on moral grounds stand in the way. I even presented one person who works to prevent the Fed Gov't from giving funds to such. So, pretending that I didn't answer your question is pretense or simply a comprehension issue not a lack in my response.
Those people who object to deliberate termination of pregnancy are already beyond the pale, as it were. What I meant was that there is no legal bar to such donation, so far as I know. None, at least, at the federal level. Since no legal bar exists there is little we can do in public policy.
Once again, you miss the step where we work first to save the young patient's life rather than to kill it, then if and when we are unable we work to use the remains to further this scientific endeavor.
Now you're getting quite fast and loose with that "we" I think. Who are the "we" that will "work" -- whatever that means -- to save the life of the fetus? Whence comes their funding? What are the guidelines under which they will operate: how far are "we" empowered to go to preserve the viability of those cells? Who gets to decide when enough is enough?
The idea is to make abortion as rare as possible, making it illegal would do the opposite as many who would provide them would have little, if any, need to work to prevent such things.
You have just stated the credo of the modern pro-choice movement: Keep Abortion Safe, Legal and Rare. I'm not making it up:

http://www.ppaction.org/campaign/trigger_ban
http://change.org/changes/change_page/77

So, how does your position differ from the pro-choice platform?
It is because you know I want to save a life, you want to insure that others have the right to end a life, if they choose. Instead of entering a good conversation on what I believe is a good idea often we presume antagonism when others have a differing starting point. Especially on this subject. We feel the other side is often intellectual "enemies" and start the conversation from that point.
No, I know you want to preserve the potential for a life. There is no human life, in the ethical and moral sense, to be "saved" in an early term pregnancy, other than the mother's life. You phrase it as "saving a life" for political and rhetorical purposes. Just as i avoid that phrasing for similarly tactical reasons.

I still don't know what your idea actually entails, in terms of public policy: which behaviors will be allowed, which will be prohibited and which mandatory. Rather than protesting about what it is not, why don't you simply state it clearly so that we can judge it on its merits?
I am not. Such science would allow for freezing, donation, etc. I said I would hope society would work towards this in the end, but it isn't really a goal other than to make it the central idea rather than simply killing being the first choice given. The goal is to make it rare, not push it into the black market with no governing authority over the action of the providers.
Who gets to decide on the content of this propaganda campaign? Who will fund it? Who will be held responsible for implementing it? How will compliance be enforced?

So many questions in that can of worms. Social engineering experiments are like that, sadly.
I believe that a human life becomes a person when higher thought has been reached, therefore the level of "personhood" is your idea of adding to my argument what you think I believe rather than actually reading my remarks.
<*sigh*> The issue is, as always, who gets to decide, in each individual instance, when the state of "personhood" has been reached? You have a standard that seems good to you. That standard is neither universal nor objective, however.

Am I pro-abortion... NO

Still nuthing... Come on you "Pro-Lifers" Given above... how can you call me anti-life... or Pro-death?

The issue is, as always, who gets to decide, in each individual instance, when the state of "personhood" has been reached?

Look, you fucking retarded inbred moron, science and biology are pretty goddamn clear on when a human living organism is created and formed, and no magical word is going to ever change that fact of life. No one "gets to decide" this, it is established by the very principles of science and physics we live by each day, just as no one 'gets to decide' the sky is blue or the ocean is wet!

I don't have a problem with immoral low-life heathens debating when it is okay to kill an innocent human being, and when it's not... that debate is fine! Let's just be honest about it, and stop this full of shit garbage about "personhood" and denying what the hell we are talking about! Until you can be intellectually honest enough to accept science, we have no reason or room for civil discourse on this matter, so take it to the house!

I thought we had already all agreed that it's ok to take an innocent human life when that life is being lived by a brown child in the middle east, and we can use its painful death to feel all manly about our bad selves and talk about how we and bush are liberating those ungrateful bastards who should be licking our balls...err, wrong thread, I mean licking our boots in gratitude for it.

Now we're having a debate again? I'm lost.

The issue is, as always, who gets to decide, in each individual instance, when the state of "personhood" has been reached?

Look, you fucking retarded inbred moron, science and biology are pretty goddamn clear on when a human living organism is created and formed, and no magical word is going to ever change that fact of life. No one "gets to decide" this, it is established by the very principles of science and physics we live by each day, just as no one 'gets to decide' the sky is blue or the ocean is wet!

I don't have a problem with immoral low-life heathens debating when it is okay to kill an innocent human being, and when it's not... that debate is fine! Let's just be honest about it, and stop this full of shit garbage about "personhood" and denying what the hell we are talking about! Until you can be intellectually honest enough to accept science, we have no reason or room for civil discourse on this matter, so take it to the house!

Dixie is right on this one! Go dixie. See. I'm not a liberal.

How would you categorize me, I personally am against homicide, I think it should not be done. I would support campaigns to end and prevent homicide short of making it illegal.... However, I don't want the government to jump into people's general personal disputes, judgements, or family business and thus don't think it should be illegal.

I think I would categorize myself as a hypocritical talking-out-of-both-sides-of-my-mouth NUT! You can't state that you oppose something, then turn around and support the fight to keep it legal! What you are trying to do, is the same thing AssHat is trying to do with China trade, you are getting up on your moral high horse, and saying... oh, I don't like abortion, it's baaaad... yet, you advocate a policy that simply continues to be indifferent and not address the problem. You ignore the fact that 40 million people are not alive today, because of Roe v. Wade, and if it's up to you, that will simply continue unimpeded for years to come. You don't like it, but... ehh... you ain't gunna do nuthin about it either! What the hell?

Well, this thread is certainly over the head of the likes of little ole moi.

When all you big strong, smart menfolk gets done hashing this abortion thing out, you just let us all know what you decided ok?

And thanks ever so much!

Well, this thread is certainly over the head of the likes of little ole moi.

When all you big strong, smart menfolk gets done hashing this abortion thing out, you just let us all know what you decided ok?

And thanks ever so much!

Oh Darla, how insensitive of me to not include you in this debate. You are right, only women should decide this issue, and every issue for that matter. Yes, you women should all have your own set of laws, maybe even your own Constitution, because let's face it, us men are never going to think like you or understand anything the way you do, and why should you have to live by our standards anyway? We should just form a complete new set of rules for women and men... women get to decide anything pertaining to women, and men get to decide anything pertaining to men! We can both make our own set of laws, and appoint our own judges, elect our own representatives, have our own political parties, and everyone will be happy then!

You have a voice in the abortion debate, as a woman, as a potential mother, and as a human being. I also have a voice, as a man, as a potential father, and as a human being. We share commonality on several fronts, and we also share a moral responsibility as decent human beings.

Imagine, if men could masturbate, and produce kids. Day after day, you see pictures of dead kids that were simply the product of some guy whacking off... and the guy is saying... hey toots, mind your own beeswax! It ain't YOUR body... it ain't hurting YOU! Years go by, the dead babies stack up, because men can't control their sexual urge to masturbate, and we just keep having dumpsters full of babies year after year. Now, the liberal in you is going to be screaming... we must stop this madness! It's just wrong! But the men just say... hey toots... lookit, i have a right to choose what to do with my own body, and the government has no rights inside my testicles! Can your pinhead see where that would be a totally illegitimate argument?

This is how I view the "women's rights" aspect of the abortion issue. You don't have the right to arbitrarily END human life! Sorry!

You can masturbate all you want here and in your bathroom...whatever your fantasies about producing babies might be in both cases, you'll produce nothing.

I've been on message boards long enough to know that men enjoy deluding themselves with the idea that they are relevant in the abortion debate. They aren't.

Any rudimentary knowledge of history will impart the knowledge that a woman's station in a culture has always been tied directly to her reproductive choices. Women know this.

Roe v Wade will never be overturned, for two reasons. The first is that the Elmer Gantry's who lead and benefit from the cultural right would never allow it. It wouldn't be cost effective. Without abortion, their donations would dry up to nothing. They need abortion, they thrive on abortion, they could not mantain either their power nor their lifestyles without abortion.

The second reason is, the Republican party itself would never allow it to be overturned. For if it were, they would pay a political price for at least a generation. The majority of America, however personally uncomfortable (or comfortable) with abortion they might be, do not want Roe V Wade overturned, and in fact consider it a radical notion. Suburban women, in particular, who are key in swing races and swing states, would exact harsh retribution for such an event.

It will never happen. Women will retain the rights to their own bodies, no matter how many hours men like you spend circle jerking on message boards.

Sorry.

Darla, whatever helps you sleep at night.

Jarhead, I answered you, and no you didn't prove a point yet, but I will let you know the moment it happens, I'm sure it's just on the horizon!

Oy vey. See, this is why it's so hard to sit down and talk with anti-abortion fanatics. They're so . . . fanatical.

Dixie, science is silent on the issue of personhood. It's not a question accessible to the scientific method. Your problem is that you conflate biological identity -- species -- with legal and moral status. That sounds fine at first blush, except that it doesn't work. Not every living organism of the species homo sapiens sapien is a person. Witness Terri Schiavo, for example. Similarly, a fetus is not a fully developed, complete individual person.

A human fetus of 6 weeks is undeniably alive -- barring miscarriage -- and it is genetically of the species, but those two criteria alone do not make it a person. You can amputate your pinkie and keep it alive for a significant amount of time but it will never become a separate person named Pixie.

Personhood is an ethical and moral question, not a scientific question.

You can masturbate all you want here and in your bathroom...whatever your fantasies about producing babies might be in both cases, you'll produce nothing.

I've been on message boards long enough to know that men enjoy deluding themselves with the idea that they are relevant in the abortion debate. They aren't.

Any rudimentary knowledge of history will impart the knowledge that a woman's station in a culture has always been tied directly to her reproductive choices. Women know this.

Roe v Wade will never be overturned, for two reasons. The first is that the Elmer Gantry's who lead and benefit from the cultural right would never allow it. It wouldn't be cost effective. Without abortion, their donations would dry up to nothing. They need abortion, they thrive on abortion, they could not mantain either their power nor their lifestyles without abortion.

The second reason is, the Republican party itself would never allow it to be overturned. For if it were, they would pay a political price for at least a generation. The majority of America, however personally uncomfortable (or comfortable) with abortion they might be, do not want Roe V Wade overturned, and in fact consider it a radical notion. Suburban women, in particular, who are key in swing races and swing states, would exact harsh retribution for such an event.

It will never happen. Women will retain the rights to their own bodies, no matter how many hours men like you spend circle jerking on message boards.

Sorry.
Yep. I'd call that definitively buried.

Back