The beer thread..

Never heard of it... Lager??

One that was good from that area~west of there was Rolling Rock (ice cold on a hot day) but once they got bought it was tasteless..

RR's were OK back in the day. I haven't had one in decades. There was a pub outside of Amherst MA that sold them three 7oz bottles /$2 on Friday afternoons. Guess where I spent my Friday afternoons? lol

The best cheap beer is Matts, made in Utica NY. It used to be cheaper than soda and had a nice creamy flavor.

Have you heard of Straub out of St. Mary's PA? It's been around forever but very small.

Not the greatest but it's from my homeland so i like it, only ask because Matts is another small time NE brewery.

Also in the military Yuengling seems to be the hip beer to drink. Although I am from PA and hate that stuff!

Have you heard of Straub out of St. Mary's PA? It's been around forever but very small.

Not the greatest but it's from my homeland so i like it, only ask because Matts is another small time NE brewery.

Also in the military Yuengling seems to be the hip beer to drink. Although I am from PA and hate that stuff!

I have heard of Straub, never had it. Yuengling is supposedly America's oldest brewery so there's that. It's better than Bud.

I drink it when I venture east, for fun, since it's not available in Seattle.

When I was younger I used to buy 30 packs of Meisterbrau for $4.99.

Decent beer when it's chilled but if you let it get warm oh my fucking God. It was horrible.

I know I have had it, but I can't recall when.........

One of the worst (& there is no shortage of crappy beer) I had several years ago was keystone, the no bitter beer face one.....

Seemed no matter how cold it was, it always tasted like the can was open all night, flat-carbonation, flat taste..

While still in high school we would drive across the Mexican border to the Tecate Brewery where they sold Tecate and Carte Blanca in bottles for 6 bucks a twelve pack on ice.

Never had it on tap.. Prob a lot better

LOL, when I was 17 we would go over to Juarez & I would always get Te'cate but don't get it very often now but will try it on tap..

Deschutes-Brewery-Obsidian-Stout-IMG_8120.gif

IMO, a tough call between Guinness. Guinness has a deep flavor, where as Obsidian Stout has a deep perfect flavor. Not too heavy. Just right.

Looks real good... Not tried it but I seen it @ bev mo.... I will put it on my list, thnx

Rolling rock is from the say area??

The only stout I have had that surpassed Guinness was the Vanilla Stout, which I had about five years ago at the Harmon (brewery) Tap House in Tacoma. They never sold it in any stores that I could find, and I haven't gotten my hands on it since. But in five years, I haven't found anything else that surpassed Guinness.

this thread is literally calling my name!

stouts are the easiest to brew - or more accurately - the hardest to completely screw up. I do really like a Russian Imperial Stout though

I have gotten sick of the IPA craze. I pretty much never drink them anymore

My two favorite breweries would be Ballast Point and Bell's.

Last edited:
oooh, fellow stout lover.

If you can find it: https://www.ballastpoint.com/beers/year-round/#beer-525

Not quite. I generally like stouts, and find porters to be the tricky ones. But, my favorites are ambers, ESBs, browns, and whites. Reds that aren't too bitter are always nice, and I find that, like ESBs, no one ever screws-up a pale or a pilsner.

That being said, Guinness is the king of beers. It's not my favorite, but it is awesome, and that's why many regard it as the best.

That being said, Guinness is the king of beers. It's not my favorite, but it is awesome, and that's why many regard it as the best.

Put the brewery tour on your bucket list. A 7 story building with riveted steel columns (1920's) shaped like a bottle. They'll teach you how to pour it out of a tap. The Gravity Bar 360 view of Dublin is awesome. You can see the UK from there.

Last edited:
Not quite. I generally like stouts, and find porters to be the tricky ones. But, my favorites are ambers, ESBs, browns, and whites. Reds that aren't too bitter are always nice, and I find that, like ESBs, no one ever screws-up a pale or a pilsner.

hmmm. I disagree with much of what you say.

especially the part about not being able to screw up a pilsner. the lighter the beer, the less forgiving.

It was much better coming there than the municipal water in St Louis......

They don't even sell it around here any more..

As an aside, since I've had relatives in the area since the mid 80's, I've got to see the Susquehanna river gradually clean up. It's turned into a real canoer's treasure.

As an aside, since I've had relatives in the area since the mid 80's, I've got to see the Susquehanna river gradually clean up. It's turned into a real canoer's treasure.
Awesome... You paddle the river?? I sold my canoe a while back but have 3 kayaks.. I will be kayaking tomorrow on a small river about 15 mins away..

Back