The best Rock Song Ever!

Not a best album thread. Choose what you think is the best Rock Song ever.

1) LED ZEPPELIN - STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN

It had to be this, right? Being "banned in guitar shops" doesn't alter the fact that this epic from Zep's fourth album is undeniably better than ANY other song because it somehow manages to cram pretty much every single rock genre into one sprawling eight minute slice of brilliance. Oh, and don't forget THAT guitar solo...

It's worth noting that 'Stairway' picked up 15% of all the votes cast - more than twice that of its nearest rival.
https://planetradio.co.uk/planet-rock/news/rock-news/the-greatest-ever-rock-song/

Although not necessarily my favorite as it's been overplayed but still ...

I'm more of a prog rock fan.
The most beautiful song by a group (for my tastes) is...

This live version is better than the studio one.

If one were to measure what was a great rock song, I'd have to say one indicator might be the number of times a particular song was copied or covered in a new interpretation, of which probably none of the above qualify

If I had to pick one, it would be Dylan's Knocking on Heaven"s Door, covered by extremes as Guns and Roses to Tom Petty

https://secondhandsongs.com/performance/249

I figure I'd actually have a pool of songs near the top, so I might just list some and narrow down. I'm leaving it to classic rock and metal only.

Rainbow - Tarot Woman

Queen - Another One Bites The Dust

Black Sabbath - Children Of The Grave

Metallica - For Whom The Bell Tolls

ZZ Top - Sharp Dressed Man

Kansas - Play The Game Tonight

Ozzy Osbourne - Shot In The Dark

Iron Maiden - Aces High

Blue Oyster Cult - Godzilla.

I remember going to the 5 and Dime and buying this 45 RPM for like Fifty Cents when I was a teen.

It was one of those rare songs that raised the hair on my arms, like Communication Breakdown for another example, that I had to play about 10 times in a row just to get my fill on it.

There were so much competition in the 60's, it only ever reached number 20 on the charts. And surprisingly and sadly, it was the only hit Jimi Hendrix ever had on the top 40. Yes, as crazy as reality is sometimes, Jimi Hendrix is a One-Hit-Wonder!

But this was my choice, if I have to choose only one!

This is definitely the very best intro and outro of any song in Rock history- and everything in-between wasn't too bad either!

Last edited:
I remember going to the 5 and Dime and buying this 45 RPM for like Fifty Cents when I was a teen.

It was one of those rare songs that raised the hair on my arms, like Communication Breakdown for another example, that I had to play about 10 times in a row just to get my fill on it.

There were so much competition in the 60's, it only ever reached number 20 on the charts. And surprisingly and sadly, it was the only hit Jimi Hendrix ever had on the top 40. Yes, as crazy as reality is sometimes, Jimi Hendrix is a One-Hit-Wonder!

This one is also in my top ten.

Another Dylan cover

Another Dylan cover

Yes, so much that Dylan returned the favor of Hendrix doing his song.

When Bob Dylan played the song in any of his concerts following Jimi's release, he played Jimi's version of the song.

He explained to Rolling Stone magazine- He plays Hendrix's version live as a tribute to Hendrix for making it a better song!

Back