The best Rock Song Ever!

This has to be up there

Brilliant choice. As that song would have been just as popular a piece, had it been performed as a Classical Instrumental in the era of Louie the 14th- And as timeless as it is, will still be enjoyed in the 22nd century and beyond for all future generations to come.

Last edited:
It is but you only get one choice. You’ve posted two. Which one do you think was the greatest rock song ever?

Notice I said it has to be "up there," but not the "greatest."

The so called '"experts" (music critics) say Stairway To Heaven is the greatest R&R song ever, but we all have our favorites and Pink Floyd's Time is mine.
There have been many, many good R&R songs over the years, but to say just one of them is "the greatest" is controversial at best.

Notice I said it has to be "up there," but not the "greatest."

The so called '"experts" (music critics) say Stairway To Heaven is the greatest R&R song ever, but we all have our favorites and Pink Floyd's Time is mine.
There have been many, many good R&R songs over the years, but to say just one of them is "the greatest" is controversial at best.

True dat but I’m interested in hearing why someone thinks the song they chose is the greatest ever.

True dat but I’m interested in hearing why someone thinks the song they chose is the greatest ever.

Listen to the lyrics in Pink Floyd's song Time. As you get older and older, the lyrics ring truer and truer, not to mention the brilliant musicianship.

Come on guys! Don’t hijack the thread. This “The Greatest Rick Song of All Time” and not a playlist thread. Please let us know what you think is the greatest rock song ever. There can be only one!

Holy smoke, what a thread Nazi!
I cannot name a single all time favorite, and even if I did it would change on a weekly basis. I can only speak to a small bevy of tunes which have been with me through the years and that I have never gotten tired of

I’m being a thread Nazi, and for a reason, this isn’t a top ten or top five list. Stand up and shout it out. What do you think is the best Rock song ever. There can be only one!

I agree, the thread quickly turned into post as many videos as you can, looks like a playlist for a classic rock station.

I do believe the theme was to pick one song you felt was the best ever, not what songs you personally liked the best, has to have more substance than personal favorites, “Johnny be Good” would qualify as a transition between early 50’s Rock and Roll to latter Rock

I have to mention a couple of my favorites from the 1970's. They're both a bit obscure, but definitely worth seeking out if you're not familiar with them. "Charity Ball", by the group, Fanny, is fantastic rock and roll. It just barely made the American top 40, but it DID get quite a bit of airplay on WLS, out of Chicago, in the early 70's. My dad bought the single, which I still own. Fanny was THE first all-female rock group, and they DID rock. The other song, "Rolene", by musician Moon Martin, was first released in the late 70's. It's a wonderful rockin' song, it, like "Charity Ball", barely made a dent in the top 40 charts. But it's an amazing song. I still own this single, as well. Moon Martin gained the majority of his fame for writing and originally recording the great rock tune Robert Palmer covered, "Bad Case of Loving You (Doctor, Doctor)". Both of these wonderful songs are HIGHLY recommended listening.

Some more of my favorites from the 70's include "All the Way From Memphis", "All The Young Dudes" and "Violence", by Mott the Hoople. "Suffragette City", "The Jean Genie", "Rebel, Rebel", "Heroes", and "Boys Keep Swinging", by David Bowie. "More Than A Feeling", "Smokin'", and "Don't Look Back", by Boston. "I Want You To Want Me", "Surrender", and "The Dream Police", by Cheap Trick. One hit wonder, "Spirit In The Sky", by Norman Greenbaum. "Travelin' Band", "Up Around The Bend", "Hey Tonight", and "Sweet Hitchhiker", by Creedence Clearwater Revival. "Roadhouse Blues", "LA Woman", and "Riders On The Storm", by The Doors. Also "Already Gone", "James Dean", "Hotel California", "Life In The Fast Lane" and "Heartache Tonight", by The Eagles.

I have to separate into categories........anything with piano by Cat Stevens, anything with a flute by Jethro Tull, anything with guitar by Jimi Hendrix, any male vocal by Neil Diamond, any female vocal by Stevie Nix.....

Back