The crisis in cosmology

Did I claim to be an expert on these things? Or did I just say I was at a conference with a bunch of attorneys?

I assure you, Helicopter Steve, that I am NOT an expert on copyright law. I can, however, read.

YOU sure don't read so good do you, Helicopter Steve?
You certainly did a great dance around it, Perry. :thup:

I am glad you are OK with theft.

What other laws do you like to violate?
I'm not, but considering you are semi-literate, I forgive your errors, Perry.

Sometimes I go up to 10MPH over the speed limit in the highway. A few times I've clipped the "Do not remove under penalty of law" tag on a mattress. Here, Perry; call the Texas Rangers: https://www.dps.texas.gov/section/texas-rangers

(214) 861-2360

The Story of Our Universe May Be Starting to Unravel
Sept. 2, 2023

Not long after the James Webb Space Telescope
began beaming back from outer space
its stunning images of planets and nebulae last year,
astronomers, though dazzled, had to admit that something was amiss.

Eight months later,
based in part on what the telescope has revealed,
it’s beginning to look as if
we may need to rethink
key features of the origin and development of the universe.l

"WE" must obviously not include me.
I feel so excluded!

I was satisfied with my theory
that it was an inexplicable event
by the time I was twenty

and haven't given it much thought at all
since then.:laugh:

I'm not, but considering you are semi-literate, I forgive your errors, Perry.

Sometimes I go up to 10MPH over the speed limit in the highway. A few times I've clipped the "Do not remove under penalty of law" tag on a mattress. Here, Perry; call the Texas Rangers: https://www.dps.texas.gov/section/texas-rangers

(214) 861-2360

I LOVE how hypocritical you are. You reported me on a post because you thought I ran afoul of the board rules and here I'm just pointing out a violation of the board rules and suddenly you are clutching your pearls and clucking.

You hypocritical fuck.

IT's always SOMEONE ELSE'S FAULT with you, isn't it?

I NEVER said I was an expert on copyright law. That is YOUR error. Not mine. Not anyone elses. You just thought it would be fun to lie.
No, Perry, but I understand why you want to push that after calling me a Pedo several times.

Technically true. The fact you lorded over others, specifically Cypress, about your "week in conference" in order to push your attack on Cypress is pure Perry. LOL

It doesn't help that I just spent a week in a conference with a bunch of intellectual property attorneys. So I'm a bit more sensitized than usual to violations of US law.

Good.

From the link:

For right now, at least, the “standard model of cosmology” is relatively simple and straightforward. Sometimes known as “ΛCDM” (for Λ, a cosmological constant, plus CDM, or cold dark matter) to some, it contends that our Universe, as we know it:

• began with a hot Big Bang some 13.8 billion years ago,
  • that itself was set up and preceded by a period of cosmic inflation,
  • where the initial conditions were a scale-invariant spectrum of density fluctuations atop an otherwise uniform background,
  • where the Universe was filled with matter, energy, and radiation,
  • where it began expanding and cooling very quickly, but then was slowed by gravitation over time,
  • which led to the Universe we observe today: full of stars, galaxies, galaxy clusters and cosmic voids,
  • and is now made up of ~5% normal matter, 27% dark matter, and 68% dark energy,
Thanks, that's why I posted two points of view. I'm not a cosmologists and need to remain open to both arguments.

I feel like the evidence for the conventional model of cosmology is powerful (red shift, CMB, nucleosynthesis), but they have had to put a lot of band aids on it over the decades to save the theory.

Cosmology by the standards of science is a pretty young science, so for me the message to take away is to not pop the champagne corks yet and celebrate that we basically have it all figured out.

I LOVE how hypocritical you are. You reported me on a post because you thought I ran afoul of the board rules and here I'm just pointing out a violation of the board rules and suddenly you are clutching your pearls and clucking.

You hypocritical fuck.
You called me a Pedo twice and never apologized. You then went back and deleted every Pedo Prince Andrew picture you could. Tell me that isn't a sign of guilt. :rofl2:

You're emotional instability is one reason why I doubt you ever graduated college, much less earned a PhD. You have the maturity of a 20something college dropout, but believe you are in your late 30s. Such incongruency usually means a mental issue of some sort. Your compulsion to be seen as superior to others is also indicative of a person who is mentally challenged. You constantly attack Cypress's knowledge and desire to learn. This, too, indicates someone who is jealous of the abilities of others.

Your taunting and erroneous labeling me "Helicopter Steve" indicates your low level of maturity and reasoning capability. I believe you are retarded or brain-damaged in some way based upon these behaviors you display daily. You certainly never act like a 40 something PhD and working professional.

Thanks, that's why I posted two points of view. I'm not a cosmologists and need to remain open to both arguments.

I feel like the evidence for the conventional model of cosmology is powerful (red shift, CMB, nucleosynthesis), but they have had to put a lot of band aids on it over the decades to save the theory.

Cosmology by the standards of science is a pretty young science, so for me the message to take away is to not pop the champagne corks yet and celebrate that we basically have it all figured out.

The standard model seems to hold true, but the fact the Universe holds about "27% dark matter, and 68% dark energy" means there's a lot of unknown there. The Webb telescope is a great game changer.

The standard model seems to hold true, but the fact the Universe holds about "27% dark matter, and 68% dark energy" means there's a lot of unknown there. The Webb telescope is a great game changer.

Inflation is a great idea that gets rid of the flatness problem and other problems, but it's an idea that seems vaguely contrived to make the problem go away. The idea itself seems to invoke the fantastical.

Dark energy also seems contrived to make the problem of accelerating expansion go away. Nobody knows what dark energy is. The name itself is just a placeholder for a phenomena we are essentially clueless about.

It doesn't bother me though. Science wouldn't be any fun if there weren't questions and mysteries to solve

Inflation is a great idea that gets rid of the flatness problem and other problems, but it's an idea that seems vaguely contrived to make the problem go away. The idea itself seems to invoke the fantastical.

Dark energy also seems contrived to make the problem of accelerating expansion go away. Nobody knows what dark energy is. The name itself is just a placeholder for a phenomena we are essentially clueless about.

It doesn't bother me though. Science wouldn't be any fun if there weren't questions and mysteries to solve
Exactly. It's the X factor of cosmology. We know something is there but have no clue what it is.

"WE" must obviously not include me.
I feel so excluded!

I was satisfied with my theory
that it was an inexplicable event
by the time I was twenty

and haven't given it much thought at all
since then.:laugh:

It's still inexplicable in a very real sense. Nobody knows what caused the Big Bang to happen.

Exactly. It's the X factor of cosmology. We know something is there but have no clue what it is.

It's either pointing to some new and unknown phenomena.
Or it's a clue that there's something wrong with our existing theories.

There is a small school of astrophysicists who don't believe dark matter is an actual physical phenomena, or undiscovered subatomic particle, but is a clue that our understanding of Newtonian mechanics is just wrong.

Well he is The Most Interesting Man On The Internet :|

You must not get out much. If I am trying to be interesting, I am doing it in the stupidest way possible.

95 percent of the forum participants think most of my threads are mind numbingly boring, and flee them at first sight.

If I tried to talk about physics, Confucian philosophy, or ancient Roman history at a party, people would slowly back away from me and l leave me by myself standing in the corner.

It's either pointing to some new and unknown phenomena.
Or it's a clue that there's something wrong with our existing theories.

There is a small school of astrophysicists who don't believe dark matter is an actual physical phenomena, or undiscovered subatomic particle, but is a clue that our understanding of Newtonian mechanics is just wrong.
Probably a little of both since, whatever they are, a large unknown. Being unable to account for over a quarter of the Universe's mass and over 2/3's of its energy is a massive black hole. <---pun intended.

They could be correct. IDK. It's well above my paygrade. Still, I think the majority in this case are most likely to be correct.

The Story of Our Universe May Be Starting to Unravel
Sept. 2, 2023

Not long after the James Webb Space Telescope began beaming back from outer space its stunning images of planets and nebulae last year, astronomers, though dazzled, had to admit that something was amiss. Eight months later, based in part on what the telescope has revealed, it’s beginning to look as if we may need to rethink key features of the origin and development of the universe.

Launched at the end of 2021 as a joint project of NASA, the European Space Agency and the Canadian Space Agency, the Webb, a tool with unmatched powers of observation, is on an exciting mission to look back in time, in effect, at the first stars and galaxies. But one of the Webb’s first major findings was exciting in an uncomfortable sense: It discovered the existence of fully formed galaxies far earlier than should have been possible according to the so-called standard model of cosmology.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/09/02/opinion/cosmology-crisis-webb-telescope.html

Cypress, can you cut down the size of the copy/paste on this one? The article is behind a pay wall and copyright protected. Can we cut out pieces that are unnecessary to the conversation or paraphrase a bit? This is too much of the article for comfort.

https://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-fairuse.html

uscopyrightlaw said:
How much of someone else's work can I use without getting permission?

Under the fair use doctrine of the U.S. copyright statute, it is permissible to use limited portions of a work including quotes, for purposes such as commentary, criticism, news reporting, and scholarly reports. There are no legal rules permitting the use of a specific number of words, a certain number of musical notes, or percentage of a work. Whether a particular use qualifies as fair use depends on all the circumstances. See, Fair Use Index, and Circular 21, Reproductions of Copyrighted Works by Educators and Librarians.

Probably a little of both since, whatever they are, a large unknown. Being unable to account for over a quarter of the Universe's mass and over 2/3's of its energy is a massive black hole. <---pun intended.

They could be correct. IDK. It's well above my paygrade. Still, I think the majority in this case are most likely to be correct.

Most physicists seem to think dark matter is a real phenomena rather than a mistake in Newtonian mechanics, so I can't really challenge the consensus.

Back