APP - The death spiral has begun: The US can no longer sustain itself.

First off, I would agree that Germany, Holland and the Scandinavian countries need to spend more on defence. France and the UK spend around 2.5% of GDP as against the 4% spent by the US.

As to the missile shield, it is not wanted by Europe, it is just another incredibly expensive white elephant dreamed up by the military industrial complex and Bush. The article below details the reasons why it will not work, it only needs updating to say that Romania is now hosting the missiles instead of the Czech Republic and Poland.

http://www.visualeconomics.com/military-spending-worldwide/
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUKTRE54J52020090520
M'eh... The missile defense that we currently set there works better and will stop the med. range missiles that Iran may try to launch, however that was just another piece of what we do there that is expensive and something that maybe the people who live there should do for themselves...

The reality is that those nations can spend less because we supplement their defense with our presence. As I said, I'd be happy to stop that. While cuts in defense wouldn't be popular among my party or among conservatives in general, every single one of us will have to tighten that belt just a bit on some of our favorite things. It is simply irresponsible, if not directly immoral, to force people who aren't even born to pay for our largess.

Not in one year. We really don't need to pay it all off and uber-fast; if we could keep a balanced budget the debt would eventually become minuscule in comparison to our economy.
When the total income of the Treasury isn't enough to cover the interest on the debt, the Treasury is in a death spiral. Duh!

Adding taxes on the people and companies that are struggling to be a part of the tax-generating GNP is just plain stupid. What is needed is a reduction in spending.

A reduction in military spending is the most ridiculous consideration among the many proposed. The military supports a lot of private enterprise, mom and pop stores, JOBS in the private sector...by way of creating a big demand for goods and services. Just ask the citizens of any little town where there's a big base of military equipment and personnel. Business is good.

Close a base...devastate a community of hard working Americans (when the base is here) and businesses that supply the base with staples.

Where the spending cuts should begin is in the size of the government roster of non-military employees. Make government jobs available to those that are willing to maintain the jobs based on performance rather than tenure. Fire the incompetent and the excess labor...let them seek jobs in the private sector.

I've already come up with a plan to shelter the profits from our businesses when we sell them. Your filthy hands won't touch any of it, I'll be retired and living in Switzerland. :)

I'm not sure if anybody would think you weren't a greedy bastard and a moron

The rich are renouncing their citizenship and moving out of this country. Thanks Obama.

I have an friend who's closer to retirement and thinks that they are going to try to tax home equity. Thus he's re-financing, cashing out and putting it into offshore investments. These aren't wealthy folks with teams of tax attorneys, so its never hard to figure out how to keep what you've earned.

I have an friend who's closer to retirement and thinks that they are going to try to tax home equity. Thus he's re-financing, cashing out and putting it into offshore investments. These aren't wealthy folks with teams of tax attorneys, so its never hard to figure out how to keep what you've earned.

another tea bagging moron:gives:

Back