The epoch of conservatism

I have nothing against using progressive and its not incorrect in my mind.

I just hate the idea of changing the label of what I have always called myself proudly because of some Rovian type of shaping add program.

It started at the same time as the calling the Democratic Party the democrat party.

It just feels like giving into a con mans game.

I like the term "progressive," personally, because the word itself embodies more of what my philosophy strives toward.

Damo is cracked with his "Lenin" thing. I seriously doubt that even the tiniest fraction of a populace where many can't even identify the VP hear "progressive" and think "Lenin"...

I like the term "progressive," personally, because the word itself embodies more of what my philosophy strives toward.

Damo is cracked with his "Lenin" thing. I seriously doubt that even the tiniest fraction of a populace where many can't even identify the VP hear "progressive" and think "Lenin"...
Oh, come now. 1/300,000,000 is a fraction. ;)

I have nothing against using progressive and its not incorrect in my mind.

I just hate the idea of changing the label of what I have always called myself proudly because of some Rovian type of shaping add program.

It started at the same time as the calling the Democratic Party the democrat party.

It just feels like giving into a con mans game.

It means both, and it's irrelevant anyway. Why do we spend so much time debating generic classifications? It produces nothing. Debate actual issues, which CAN be solved.

In Europe, liberalism refers mostly to the economic side of liberalism (IE laissz-faire). This is, in fact, pretty much the only definition of the word in France, and it's actually mostly the conservatives that bring about statist economic reform. In most Scandanavian and most other nations, it has two meanings, one like the French one, and one that's somewhere in between that and the American one.

In America, the meaning of liberal really doesn't resemble much what it does in Europe at all. Neither does conservatism, though. The philosophies in Europe and America were isolated from each other for a long time and developed wildly into different meanings. In America, the other European meaning also died a pretty quick death because the single-member district system usually denied such solidified "other" philosophies from getting elected, and liberalism increasingly became associated with more and more government and control over society, so that it actually somewhat resembles European conservatism. Today, it's pretty much trivial for someone who believes in radial laissez-faire to call themselves a "liberal" in the main Euorpean sense.

I jumped back in the thread. keep up.
No, it was a spelling issue. It makes sense if a noun is made into a past passive participle of to be....

I was able to figure it out after I posted my semi-sarcastic (is that like semi-pregnant?) post.

:?

Back