The evolution of complex life

How much looking do you think we've been able to do?
The evidence is clear to those with true scientific minds; over 60 years with SETI and about the same for the US and USSR including with Lunar, Mars and Venus planetary probes. Nothing so far.

https://www.nature.com/articles/461316a
Despite the long odds against success, the search for extraterrestrial intelligence has come a long way.

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/nasa-s-search-for-life-astrobiology-in-the-solar-system-and-beyond/
NASA’s Search for Life: Astrobiology in the Solar System and Beyond

https://exoplanets.nasa.gov/faq/5/is-there-life-on-other-planets/
The ultimate goal of NASA's exoplanet program is to find unmistakable signs of current life on a planet beyond Earth.

The evidence is clear to those with true scientific minds; over 60 years with SETI and about the same for the US and USSR including with Lunar, Mars and Venus planetary probes. Nothing so far.

Despite the long odds against success, the search for extraterrestrial intelligence has come a long way.

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/nasa-s-search-for-life-astrobiology-in-the-solar-system-and-beyond/

The ultimate goal of NASA's exoplanet program is to find unmistakable signs of current life on a planet beyond Earth.

So you think only electromagnetic signatures are the only signs of life in the universe? Or a couple of remote sampling on one planet? What, specifically, do you think that proves? Because right now the sample is pretty small.

Last edited:
So you think only electromagnetic signatures are the only signs of life in the universe?

Or a couple of remote sampling on one planet?

What, specifically, do you think that proves? Because right now the sample is pretty small
No, but it would be a primary one for previously discussed reasons.

No, but we've explored enough of Mars to prove it wasn't thriving with life at any point. Sure, it may have had life, but it didn't last long.

It proves we haven't found life in the Solar System or from multiple regions of the galaxy. Disagreed on sample size. We've looked intensely in places most likely to harbor life. It's not on Mercury, Venus or the Moon. Mars holds the greatest chance, but so far only negative results...and it's not looking good.

No, but it would be a primary one for previously discussed reasons.

Space is vast and you are assuming life may be rare because you have undersampled.

No, but we've explored enough of Mars to prove it wasn't thriving with life at any point. Sure, it may have had life, but it didn't last long.

Our sampling of Mars has been very small. And I might remind you that Mars is only ONE PLANET.

It's like looking for mountains while living in Indiana and checking with Illinois.

It proves we haven't found life in the Solar System or from multiple regions of the galaxy.

I don't think there's any way to say that. We haven't detected EM signatures but that isn't the definition of life. And we don't really have a way to chemically test long distance for life that is all that convincing.

Remember when they found perchlorates on Mars and everyone was thinking that was the sign? Didn't quite turn out that way did it?

Disagreed on sample size.

Really? One planet and you think that's a good sample for the universe?

We've looked intensely in places most likely to harbor life. It's not on Mercury, Venus or the Moon.

Have we chemically tested the surface of Mercury or Venus? I don't think so. Certainly not for life.

Mars holds the greatest chance, but so far only negative results...and it's not looking good.

Well, it holds the greatest chance if you limit yourself to nearby planets and attempting to find life as we are most familiar with it.

That, of course, is not the only possible form of life.

I'd ask what sort of chemical signature you'd propose looking at spectroscopically (because that would be about the ONLY way we could say ANYTHING about distant exoplanets) but I am willing to bet you wouldn't have a clue.

Space is vast and you are assuming life may be rare because you have undersampled.

I haven't sampled anything, brah. LOL

I also don't do text walls. It's just text masturbation.

OTOH, thanks for the overreaction. :thup:

Our sampling of Mars has been very small. And I might remind you that Mars is only ONE PLANET.

It's like looking for mountains while living in Indiana and checking with Illinois.

I don't think there's any way to say that. We haven't detected EM signatures but that isn't the definition of life. And we don't really have a way to chemically test long distance for life that is all that convincing.

Remember when they found perchlorates on Mars and everyone was thinking that was the sign? Didn't quite turn out that way did it?

Really? One planet and you think that's a good sample for the universe?

Have we chemically tested the surface of Mercury or Venus? I don't think so. Certainly not for life.

Well, it holds the greatest chance if you limit yourself to nearby planets and attempting to find life as we are most familiar with it.

That, of course, is not the only possible form of life.

I'd ask what sort of chemical signature you'd propose looking at spectroscopically (because that would be about the ONLY way we could say ANYTHING about distant exoplanets) but I am willing to bet you wouldn't have a clue.
You clearly don't understand the difference between "so far only negative results" and "there's no other life". Sad.

I haven't sampled anything, brah. LOL

I also don't do text walls. It's just text masturbation.

OTOH, thanks for the overreaction. :thup:

You clearly don't understand the difference between "so far only negative results" and "there's no other life". Sad.

Well, as per usual, you can't even defend your own points. YOu should learn some science.

Those are great links.

This comment was not really sounding very confident, more like hopeful thinking -->

Is there (advanced technological) life beyond Earth? So far, the silence is deafening.

“I hope it’s there,” said Shawn Domagal-Goldman, a research astronomer at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland. “I want it to be there. I’ll be planning a party if we find it.”

It seems to me we are going to have to find microbial life in this solar system to boost our confidence of life beyond Earth.

If life really is inevitable in the presence of liquid water and chemistry, we better find something living or fossilized on Europa, Ganymede, Enceladus, Mars.

If we don't, we may have to rethink just how inevitable life really is.

Those are great links.

This comment was not really sounding very confident, more like hopeful thinking -->

It seems to me we are going to have to find microbial life in this solar system to boost our confidence of life beyond Earth.

If life really is inevitable in the presence of liquid water and chemistry, we better find something living or fossilized on Europa, Ganymede, Enceladus, Mars.

If we don't, we may have to rethink just how inevitable life really is.
Not sure if life is inevitable, since we've been trying to replicate it for decades. The best we've done is generate a few amino acids.

The evidence so far indicates it's very rare, but once it happens, it's extremely invasive. LOL

How do I defend negative results, Jank?

No, you don't appear to have any background. Like Cypress you just post whatever cursory thing you find online somewhere and hope people will think you erudite.

I asked what spectroscopic feature you would search for to find distant life on an exoplanet. Of course you don't know the first thing about how elements and compounds are discovered in distant regions of space and you sure as fuck don't know the first foreign thing about spectroscopy so I knew you'd fail.

It was just fun to see you run away from a point.

You really should take some science classes.

No, you don't appear to have any background. Like Cypress you just post whatever cursory thing you find online somewhere and hope people will think you erudite.

I asked what spectroscopic feature you would search for to find distant life on an exoplanet. Of course you don't know the first thing about how elements and compounds are discovered in distant regions of space and you sure as fuck don't know the first foreign thing about spectroscopy so I knew you'd fail.

It was just fun to see you run away from a point.

You really should take some science classes.

Let's say you are 100% correct. So what? If true, why are you so upset over it? What's your main reasoning for concern, Jank?

Agreed that astronomical spectroscopy isn't my field. Is it yours, Jank? Do you have a PhD in astronomical spectroscopy that you haven't mentioned because you are too modest?

Dude, laying in my recliner wondering WTF you are babbling about isn't running. I have a bad knee, so I'm a "stand your ground" guy now. LOL

I'm learning enough about nutjobs and liars on the Internet to satiate my scientific interests. What classes do you still take, or are you done with learning, Jank?

Let's say you are 100% correct.

I am.

So what? If true, why are you so upset over it? What's your main reasoning for concern, Jank?

It's just fun to point out that you seem to know nothing. You like to post things to make people think you are smart but then when you scratch it you see it's nothing. You got nothing.

Agreed that astronomical spectroscopy isn't my field.

You don't seem to actually have a field. You seem to know nothing in detail.

Is it yours,

I've done my fair bit of spectroscopy in my day. FTIR, UV-VIS, NMR, MassSpec.

Dude, laying in my recliner wondering WTF you are babbling about isn't running. I have a bad knee, so I'm a "stand your ground" guy now. LOL

It begs the question why you post stuff that you are NEVER able to discuss in detail.

It shows you are a weak and pitiful old man who desperately wants people to think he's smarter than he demonstrably is. And when you meet people who are your intellectual superiors you just attack.

You should really just run away. It's got to be embarrassing to be shown up all the time.

Let's say you are 100% correct. So what? If true, why are you so upset over it? What's your main reasoning for concern, Jank?

Agreed that astronomical spectroscopy isn't my field. Is it yours, Jank? Do you have a PhD in astronomical spectroscopy that you haven't mentioned because you are too modest?

I'm learning enough about nutjobs and liars on the Internet to satiate my scientific interests. What classes do you still take, or are you done with learning, Jank?

When is your girlfriend, Cypress, going to show up and stroke you?

It's just fun to point out that you seem to know nothing.
Ahh, you're a sadist. I get it now.

Still, I'm amazed that a person of your stature is so deeply interested in lil' ol' me. I'm just an old guy on the Internet, one of millions, yet you prove daily, Jank, that I can still impact another person's life. Thanks for the boost of confidence! :)

When is your girlfriend, Cypress, going to show up and stroke you?

Is that what you are into, Jank? Men stroking men? Do you like it rough or gentle, Jank? From your profile, I'm guessing you like it rough, then you like to lay back and "be taken".

<MEME OF PERRY BEING SEXUALLY SUBMISSIVE DELETED>

Ahh, you're a sadist. I get it now.

No, masochist would normally be the thing since it should be painful to see someone like you talk.

Still, I'm amazed that a person of your stature is so deeply interested in lil' ol' me.

YOU posted something. Someone replied to it. Are you stupid? That's what a FUCKING DISCUSSION BOARD IS ABOUT. Wow. You are thick as a fuckin' brick.

I'm just an old guy on the Internet,

One old guy who posts shit he doesn't understand and then can't hack it when someone smarter comes along.

Why do you post shit if you can't support it or discuss it? Is it so you can sound smarter than you really are? You and Cypress both do the same fuckin' thing. I don't understand people who are so eaten up with Dunning-Kruger.

Is that what you are into, Jank? Men stroking men? Do you like it rough or gentle, Jank? From your profile, I'm guessing you like it rough, then you like to lay back and "be taken".

<MEME OF PERRY BEING SEXUALLY SUBMISSIVE DELETED>

So when is Cypress going to show up? You are in control. Give us a timeline.

Back