The General Store

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fox, like coyote, will kill anything they can get their teeth on (although it's more small game and just-born fawns than anything).

At this point, I'm just hoping I can get back on the road in anything.

We have fox and coyotes here ,see coyotes wandering thru the yard.
They don't bother me as much as pitbulls running loose when I lived in Toledo.
Deer have few natural enemies here,they get over populated,coyotes help control them.

Deer have few natural enemies here,they get over populated,coyotes help control them.

Our deer have started coming down out of the mountains.... more and more of them in the meadow now. I've found a couple of deer remains in the woods while shroom-hunting; bears,lynx, and coyotes go after them. Supposedly we have wolves here too but I have yet to see one.

It's lovely to lie in bed at night and listen to the coyotes sing.

Coyotes almost killed off our deer population that was at one time very plentiful. We shot off a number of coyotes and our deer population is returning.

Coyotes almost killed off our deer population that was at one time very plentiful. We shot off a number of coyotes and our deer population is returning.

I don't know if it's the colder weather up here,but in the suburbs of Toledo there is such a over population of deer,owners have to put out bails of hay,to keep them from eating up their yards.
One town Ottawa Hills has to hire hunters to thin the herd.I would have deer in my back yard in the middle of the city.

I don't know if it's the colder weather up here,but in the suburbs of Toledo there is such a over population of deer,owners have to put out bails of hay,to keep them from eating up their yards.
One town Ottawa Hills has to hire hunters to thin the herd.I would have deer in my back yard in the middle of the city.

Nature can adapt!

Fox, like coyote, will kill anything they can get their teeth on (although it's more small game and just-born fawns than anything).

At this point, I'm just hoping I can get back on the road in anything.
"Everyone" here seems to get along from what we observe/can see=who knows what's happening in the deep woods, though;) We do see the occasional roadkill incident...though I've seen people swerve to avoid them;)
The neighborhood Fox adorns the front page of our local magazine....he and his family are famous....lol

Nature can adapt!

No, not always. Years ago, there was a 2 week buck season and a separate 3 day doe season. Our deer population was plentiful, but not heavily overpopulated. Our game commission made our deer season both buck and doe for 2 weeks because some other areas were overpopulated and our local herds thinned, but didn't go away. Some say (although they haven't admitted it) that the game commission brought in coyotes and turned them loose on public hunting land and the deer population all but disappeared near where I hunted on a farm that bordered public hunting land (my father taught me well, I was always fortunate to get a deer every season). We have since shot off the abundance of coyotes and the deer population has increased, but not to the levels they were when I was young.

No, not always. Years ago, there was a 2 week buck season and a separate 3 day doe season. Our deer population was plentiful, but not heavily overpopulated. Our game commission made our deer season both buck and doe for 2 weeks because some other areas were overpopulated and our local herds thinned, but didn't go away. Some say (although they haven't admitted it) that the game commission brought in coyotes and turned them loose on public hunting land and the deer population all but disappeared near where I hunted on a farm that bordered public hunting land (my father taught me well, I was always fortunate to get a deer every season). We have since shot off the abundance of coyotes and the deer population has increased, but not to the levels they were when I was young.

Is that chronic wasting disease a problem there yet? We have one county to our south, bordering Wisconsin, where it was found a couple of years ago.

Is that chronic wasting disease a problem there yet? We have one county to our south, bordering Wisconsin, where it was found a couple of years ago.

No, disease hasn't been a problem here in PA. as far as I know, at least here locally.

There needs to be a natural balance between prey and hunters like coyotes

I don't understand the glee in killing animals.

It's to keep the balance of wildlife in check. Otherwise one species (coyotes) will kill off another and then become overpopulated, leading to disease and starvation.

Got any tips for calling them in? We're getting pics on the trail cams, but no luck calling them in.

They're pretty smart and have a keen sense of smell. I've never called them in, just shot them when I saw them. I've only shot 7 over the years I've hunted, 5 in deer season.

I'd suggest looking up some of the hunting forums, I'm sure there are a number of discussions that will lead you in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back