The General Store

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was spoiled my mom bought me my car 57 Chevy Bel Aire 2 door my junior year of HS. I souped it up and raced it on weekends.

This is the one I raced

1964_Ford_Falcon_Futura_Sprint_Coupe_Side_1.jpg

I swapped one of these for it

fa76e02d372d3b18fdb3295b403e8233.jpg

MOPAR had some nice body styles in those days. I almost bought a '70 Challenger, but the above Mustang came in and...
Had to sell the Charger when we were sent to Germany. But bought another 70 when we came home, sadly it wasn't as nice as the first one.

Pretty Rocket.....

Mine was blue, but same body. After putting a big block where a small block was and working all the bugs out, I swore I'd never do that again!
Lots of long nights, beer, bloody knuckles and cuss words, but I teased a lot of Corvettes (but not in turns) with it when it was done. I often
wish I'd have kept it, but 8 mpg on race gas was expensive.

Mine was blue, but same body. After putting a big block where a small block was and working all the bugs out, I swore I'd never do that again!
Lots of long nights, beer, bloody knuckles and cuss words, but I teased a lot of Corvettes (but not in turns) with it when it was done. I often
You guys and your racing...I'm not fond of speed on the roads....
But I do love a pretty car...and have lots of respect for the devoted car guys like you...everyone should have a hobby they love so much:)

You guys and your racing...I'm not fond of speed on the roads....
But I do love a pretty car...and have lots of respect for the devoted car guys like you...everyone should have a hobby they love so much:)

We don't do the things we did back then anymore. The roads weren't cluttered with idiots on cell phones like today, but we didn't do as much "street racing" as you might think. I spent many Sundays at the drag strip.

My 57 Chev was light green with a dark green interior man it was pretty. I pulled the 283 installed a ported and relieved 327 with a high lift cam, dual quads on a ram induction manifold, and a Muncie 4 speed tranny. I also had weight transfer bars installed. It would turn low 12's in the quarter. It was as bad as it sounded to the sadness of a lot of fellow dragsters.

This is close to mine.

3Hv89C2.jpg

Last edited:
We don't do the things we did back then anymore. The roads weren't cluttered with idiots on cell phones like today, but we didn't do as much "street racing" as you might think. I spent many Sundays at the drag strip.

We had a road we called the 8 mile dead end last 2 miles were dead straight and flat. No houses and ended in a bog. The neighboring county was slow in connecting up to it. We marked off a 1/4 mile and that was were we did our street racing.

My 57 Chev was light green with a dark green interior man it was pretty. I pulled the 283 installed a ported and relieved 327 with a high lift cam, dual quads on a ram induction manifold, and a Muncie 4 speed tranny. I also had weight transfer bars installed. It would turn low 12's in the quarter. It was as bad as it sounded to the sadness of a lot of fellow dragsters.

This is close to mine.

3Hv89C2.jpg

I've always wondered why Chevy doesn't make a tribute Impala with the iconic 57 look.

This is close to mine.

3Hv89C2.jpg
That is a beauty...I love older cars....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back