The JPP Cup

I am PMP........i am incapable of proper.......punctuation....so i use ellipses with an.....inappropriate amount of periods.....instead..............

I'm sorry, Watermark, no matter how much you would prefer it, you will never be me.....you will always be stuck being Watermark.....

having already proved my superiority, I have no problem judging the rest of you.....it would be a bit difficult for me to engage in any type of competition anyway, since I never stop debating an issue....I simply continue until my opponent disappears.....I'm not sure what your timeline is though, I will be on vacation next week.....
Uhmm coincidently I'm on vacation next week too. As per a time frame. I'd say the judging panel would have to figure out the ground rules for the competition and then we need to post for competitors to join and then you'd have to match them up with opponents. I think we can leave the time frame up to the judging panel.

Before you could pick a conservative judge you'd need to find a conservative on these boards capable of admitting the conservative viewpoint isn't automatically correct, and frankly I haven't met many of those on these boards in the year and a half I've been here.

Well I think that we need to try and pick judges who we can trust to judge a debate based on merit and not their political bias. Having 3 judges of differant leanings add balance so we should be all right.

Keep in mind to that ultimately in a contest like this you'll end up with conservatives vs conservative and liberal vs liberal in a debate in which either has to defend one side of an issue against the other.

I also have a scoring matrix for the debate format I suggested.

I suggested the debated between opponents be limited to 1 opening statement, 1 rebuttal, 1 question to the opponent and 1 answer to an opponents question.

Judges would score each category. 1 pt for winning the oppening statement. 1 pt for winning the rebuttal, 1 point for winning combo question/answer for a total of 3 pts possible for a debate per judges (total of 9 points). The 3 pts/3 judge system would also prevent ties.

I also have a scoring matrix for the debate format I suggested.

I suggested the debated between opponents be limited to 1 opening statement, 1 rebuttal, 1 question to the opponent and 1 answer to an opponents question.

Judges would score each category. 1 pt for winning the oppening statement. 1 pt for winning the rebuttal, 1 point for winning combo question/answer for a total of 3 pts possible for a debate per judges (total of 9 points). The 3 pts/3 judge system would also prevent ties.

Sounds like a good system.

Is there going to be a league table as well?

And a graph. Everything always looks better with a graph.

Before you could pick a conservative judge you'd need to find a conservative on these boards capable of admitting the conservative viewpoint isn't automatically correct, and frankly I haven't met many of those on these boards in the year and a half I've been here.
The thing of it is, "correct" isn't necessarily the best debate. Let's say the argument is about the result of 2+2... They may be right, but if they can't back it up with logic and rhetoric all you have is somebody saying, "You stupid liberal, you can't think!" and that wouldn't win you a cup anywhere.

The thing of it is, "correct" isn't necessarily the best debate. Let's say the argument is about the result of 2+2... They may be right, but if they can't back it up with logic and rhetoric all you have is somebody saying, "You stupid liberal, you can't think!" and that wouldn't win you a cup anywhere.

Well I think you just disqualified yourself as a judge.
But what the hell. So here's our judging panel. We have a 6th year Sophmore as our moderate, a conservative atty, whom, for a small fee, will place your bets for the event and a liberal who's major qualification is that she trains dogs which, by JPP standards, are a higher life form.

Sounds good to me. Grind, PMP and Thorn will be the first annual JPP World Cup judging panel.

We got your judges and a debate format. So now it's time to ask for competitors to sign up.

Back