The most American state

My father was good friends with Don Getz (John's father) and built a few beautiful rifles with Don's barrels himself. And yes, flintlocks can be quite accurate in the right hands.

https://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/2014/12/don-getz.html
They were the only firearms I e truly enjoyed. Mainly because I love our frontier history. If you are ever in West Ohio and want a treat visit the Piatt Castles. One of the Piatt brothers bought a rifle that belonged to Simon Kenton the famed frontiersman. It’s on display there.

My two Flintlocks were made from kits. My best friend is a carpenter so he did all the work on the stock and my Uncle is a master machinist and he helped me assemble the rifles. The .30 cal was a great squirrel gun. However I used my .50 cal Thompson-Center percussion cap for deer hunting as I’m a lousy shot and I’d have to wait for a deer to get close.

Sold them both to finance my move to Iowa to go to grad school. Haven’t hunted since.

Last edited:
My father was good friends with Don Getz (John's father) and built a few beautiful rifles with Don's barrels himself. And yes, flintlocks can be quite accurate in the right hands.

https://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/2014/12/don-getz.html
Im familiar with Getz. He had a long waiting list. Back in the day he was known as one of if not the best long rifle gunsmith. One of his pieces was well beyond my means at that time.

They were the only firearms I e truly enjoyed. Mainly because I love our frontier history. If you are ever in West Ohio and want a treat visit the Piatt Castles. One of the Piatt brothers bought a rifle that belonged to Simon Kenton the famed frontiersman.

My two Flintlocks were made from kits. My best friend is a carpenter so he did all the work on the stock and my Uncle is a master machinist and he helped me assemble the rifles. The .30 cal was a great squirrel gun. However I used my .50 cal Thompson-Center percussion cap for deer hunting as I’m a lousy shot and I’d have to wait for a deer to get close.

Sold them both to finance my move to Iowa to go to grad school. Haven’t hunted since.

My father built a few very fine flintlocks, he hand carved the stocks and the fit and finish is excellent. I have the two nicest of them. He was really into them, he could shoot one as good as a cartridge rifle.
I hunted with one during our flintlock seasons but only ever shot one doe with it. I have one hanging on my living room wall just below his burial flag, I haven't shot it in 4 or 5 years.

Im familiar with Getz. He had a long waiting list. Back in the day he was known as one of if not the best long rifle gunsmith. One of his pieces was well beyond my means at that time.

LOL Yeah, he had a long waiting list because he always had time for his customers. I went there twice with my father and they would shoot the shit for over an hour. A very nice guy and one hell of a craftsman.

well

first, it would probably have to be a swing state, because an ultra liberal or conservative state is going to give you a warped perspective. you need a bellweather state that exposes you to the diverse attitudes and beliefs of americans

you would also need a state that has some sizeable cities and rural areas to understand those dynamics in our country

Said cities should ideally be impressive, interesting, and have some history to them.

Maybe illinois? Although I don't know how swinginy that state is recently

Perhaps a state like washington. Swing state, beautiful scenary, seattle is nice minus all the drugs and homeless people recently.

Virginia would be a good one too. Lots of colonial history, it's south, but also a swing state, and near our nations capital.

California....all the way.

Back