The most important unresolved scientific questions, in my opinion.

No, you always make grand claims that either have NO MEANING or are something you can't possibly know but you claim it like it is a KNOWN FACT.

Like your claims about the content of animal minds. You seem to be of the impression you can read animal minds I guess.
^^^ Still no explanations for how relgions, art, music were caused by Darwinian principles of survival and gene transmision

So as per usual you can't explain your own position. Got it.

So nothing is worth discussing. I have to ask you why you bother showing up on discussion forums if the answer is always going to be:

1. Cypress is RIGHT
2. No one can possibly know anything so we can't discuss anyone else's position.
^^^ The standard belief of the Militant Atheist that no uncertainty or ignorance can ever be acknowledged, because it might give the holy rollers some ammunition.

Notice again, no explanation at the level of first principles is provided for how subjective mental experience actually arises from quarks and electrons.

This isn't about your contest with the holy rollers, and it's not about religion.

This is about admitting scientific uncertainty and lack of knowledge where it exists.

There are numerous things human mind does that cannot be explained by Darwinian principles of survival.

First off: not all actions HAVE to be survival based. In other words it is possible that a Neanderthal could stop to look at a curious tree.

BUT, I will note it is very hard to debate you on any of these points because You YOURSELF don't actually know what your point is in any detail.

Do you think it's some supernatural beyond-space-and-time intelligence that had to "make" art and music so that we might enjoy it? Or do you think art and music are somehow "ineffible things outside of space and time"?

The FACT of the matter is: your position is like nailing jello on a wall because you define NONE of your terms, nor do you explain what you think that implies other than to say "It CAN'T be a physical brain thing."

ART is pleasant to the viewer presumably because it activates some reward/dopamine circuit in the brain. This is why art is SUBJECTIVE. The same effect can be had from viewing a given color.

Same thing. But why do we do it? Good question. Probably for the same reason the artist does anything: pleasure. The artist doesn't create for the sole purpose of making more work for themselves.

religion,

Religion is PERFECTLY explanatory without reliance on some as-yet-defined supernatural thing. People make up stories all the time to explain things they don't understand. Why does that need some beyond-space-and-time metaphysical thing (which you will NEVER explain in any sufficient detail to make anyone thing you actually HAVE a point let alone UNDERSTAND said point.)

spirituality, certain kinds of values and ethics.

C'mon. We've been over this before. The fact that you don't LIKE ethics and morality and values that don't come from some intelligence beyond space and time doesn't mean that there IS NONE.

You've been shown at least one form of this. Of course all you did was yell insults at me and never actually engaged the point. Now you act as if you have never heard it before and you make your grand claims.

^^^ The standard belief of the Militant Atheist that no uncertainty or ignorance can ever be acknowledged, because it might give the holy rollers some ammunition.

That is a lie I have debunked so many times with you that it beggars the imagination as to why you insist on continuing the lie.

Notice again, no explanation at the level of first principles is provided for how subjective mental experience actually arises from quarks and electrons.

It is not like you understand your position. So why are you sitting in judgement of a position that is more well evidenced than your own?

This isn't about your contest with the holy rollers, and it's not about religion.

This is about admitting scientific uncertainty and lack of knowledge where it exists.

You are so amazingly dishonest. I have ALWAYS and FOREVER noted the uncertainty of science. GEEEZUS the fact that you LIE all.the.time about my posts is an indicator that you really do just want to troll and yell insults at me.

What is wrong with you? Why are you such a repulsive person?

First off: not all actions HAVE to be survival based. In other words it is possible that a Neanderthal could stop to look at a curious tree.

BUT, I will note it is very hard to debate you on any of these points because You YOURSELF don't actually know what your point is in any detail.

Do you think it's some supernatural beyond-space-and-time intelligence that had to "make" art and music so that we might enjoy it? Or do you think art and music are somehow "ineffible things outside of space and time"?

The FACT of the matter is: your position is like nailing jello on a wall because you define NONE of your terms, nor do you explain what you think that implies other than to say "It CAN'T be a physical brain thing."

ART is pleasant to the viewer presumably because it activates some reward/dopamine circuit in the brain. This is why art is SUBJECTIVE. The same effect can be had from viewing a given color.

Same thing. But why do we do it? Good question. Probably for the same reason the artist does anything: pleasure. The artist doesn't create for the sole purpose of making more work for themselves.

Religion is PERFECTLY explanatory without reliance on some as-yet-defined supernatural thing. People make up stories all the time to explain things they don't understand. Why does that need some beyond-space-and-time metaphysical thing (which you will NEVER explain in any sufficient detail to make anyone thing you actually HAVE a point let alone UNDERSTAND said point.)

C'mon. We've been over this before. The fact that you don't LIKE ethics and morality and values that don't come from some intelligence beyond space and time doesn't mean that there IS NONE.

You've been shown at least one form of this. Of course all you did was yell insults at me and never actually engaged the point. Now you act as if you have never heard it before and you make your grand claims.
^^^ Still no accepted scientific explanations for how religions, art, music were caused by Darwinian principles of survival and gene transmission

I don't claim to know the answer, whereas you claim to be omniscient and have all the answers.

You are so amazingly dishonest. I have ALWAYS and FOREVER noted the uncertainty of science. GEEEZUS the fact that you LIE all.the.time about my posts is an indicator that you really do just want to troll and yell insults at me.

What is wrong with you? Why are you such a repulsive person?
You seem to be on the verge of veering angrily off into one of your screaming ALL CAPS rants at me.

^^^ Still no accepted scientific explanations for how religions, art, music were caused by Darwinian principles of survival and gene transmission

Why do you ignore what I posted when you respond to the post? Just curious. Was it because you couldn't address the points I raised?

I don't claim to know the answer, whereas you claim to be omniscient and have all the answers.

Another lie. But you lie so easily.

I never claim to have all the answers. But then YOU are the one who makes grand claims you have no evidence for.

LOL.

You really are kinda dumb aren't you? Sheesh.

There are numerous things human mind does that cannot be explained by Darwinian principles of survival. Art, music, religion, spirituality, certain kinds of values and ethics.
Sure, but there are some things that would clearly be a roadblock to reproducing.

Another lie. But you lie so easily.
:lolup: From the guy who lied about using sock puppets, lied about being awarded a glorious geochem PhD, and lied about studying philosophy in college.

You haven't said anything meaningful. Waving your arms and making grandiose but completely nebulous claims that because we have senses and electrical impulses in our bodies, that thereby explains consciousness, our subjective mental experience, and our sense of self-identity.

That's not an explanation at all. It's pointing to some physical facts and magically stitching them together as if it actually has any explanatory power.

There is no point in debating such an amateurish attempt to explain consciousness

Have you ever done something impulsive that you knew was a bad idea?

Has there ever been something that you wanted to do.. That you knew you should do, but chose to sit on the couch watching TV or playing on your phone instead?
yes. have you ever controlled yourself?

you want free will declared impossible so external authorities can declare that they MUST step in.

your position is a justification for totaliarianism, and its false.

:truestory:

Sure, but there are some things that would clearly be a roadblock to reproducing.
I think Darwinian principles of evolution are a perfectly viable explanation for why humans protect their children, defend their territory and resources, and why males compete for females.

I don't think it's a good explanation for Michaelangelo's Pieta, Beethoven's fifth symphony, or Paleolithic cave art in France.

I think Darwinian principles of evolution are a perfectly viable explanation for why humans protect their children, defend their territory and resources, and why males compete for females.

I don't think it's a good explanation for Michaelangelo's Pieta, Beethoven's fifth symphony, or Paleolithic cave art in France.
Does anyone say the purpose of my life is physical survival?!

Does anyone say the purpose of my life is physical survival?!
I don't. But the scientific materialists and strict physicalists seem to say we can explain everything about humans by evolution and principles of Darwinian biology.

I don't. But the scientific materialists and strict physicalists seem to say we can explain everything about humans by scientific evolution and principles of Darwin and biology.
Many scientists and philosophers are physicalists. The theory seems incoherent.

yes. have you ever controlled yourself?
Yes, I've done both. Why, if you have free will, do you ever do anything impulsive or that you know you'd regret later? Why can you sometimes control impulsiveness and other times you can't. Why are you sometimes able to overcome laziness or temptation and other times you can't.... IF you have free will.
you want free will declared impossible so external authorities can declare that they MUST step in.

your position is a justification for totaliarianism, and its false.

:truestory:
This is a discussion about the human brain and whether or not we have free will. Try some decaf.

I don't see an obvious evolutionary/reproductive advantage from being good painter.

I do not see how that contradicts concept of free will.
If you have free will, meaning you have full control over the thoughts that result in your decisions and subsequent actions, why would you ever be impulsive?

If you have free will, meaning you have full control over the thoughts that result in your decisions and subsequent actions, why would you ever be impulsive?
You have a unique definition of free will. No one believes free will means all thoughts cause actions.
The very thing you deny, deliberation, is how we consider possible actions.

Back