## The Official Madmen Thread ##

BRUTALITOPS

on indefiniate mod break
Contributor
aSjEW.png

Awww yeeeee. Madmen. Hopefully someone else besides me watches it O_o

"'everyone's so cynical here. they don't smile, they smirk."

LOL @ pete putting the fake appointment in for Roger to spot.

"The only thing worse than not getting what you want, is someone else getting it."

Thoughts: how is Don going to like the continual blending of his personal life/vs. work life? THey've always been compartmentalized before.

I dunno, it's all going to end badly, anyway. Nothing good will come of this, and we will move on to the next lost cause in entertainment.

"'everyone's so cynical here. they don't smile, they smirk."

LOL @ pete putting the fake appointment in for Roger to spot.

"The only thing worse than not getting what you want, is someone else getting it."

Thoughts: how is Don going to like the continual blending of his personal life/vs. work life? THey've always been compartmentalized before.

Also, she's so annoying and incredibly uninteresting. She actually made me miss Betty...and I'm not Betty's biggest fan. I loved Joan in this episode.

I think that Peggy's observation that this marriage has changed Don (he's so nice) is going to be important. It's true in the past he didn't let clients walk over them the way Heinz did. He's lost his edge? Too much role-playing sex no doubt! I expect that at some point he's going to need that edge and then that is when Megan will be dismissed much the way he dismissed Betty. At this point Megan is a much less interesting character than the early Betty was. Though they made the mistake (IMO) of turning Betty into a caricature, early Betty Draper was a very riveting character. Trapped in a life she wasn't made for - she was so much more than what life offered her at that point in time.

And those scenes with Don and Roger et el standing around staring at the african americans in the office with smirks on their faces are hard to watch. They are truly horrible people. It's always on race that Pete Campbell stands out. He is the only one with an even remotely progressive view of race, and he has had that from day one.

Yeah, I was thinking of chiming in with this earlier. The fact that its the early 60s means most characters are going to be racially insensitive. I expect the writers thought that one enlightened guy was believable to the audience, and drew the line there.

they aren't horrible people darla, it was just a different time.

Not everyone thought like them even then though. And really in many ways, Don is a horrible person. But he is played by Jon Hamm, the hottest man on the planet, and also a liberal and a feminist!!, so it's all good. I mean, I certainly don't hold it against him.

I was wondering today how you, darla, were such a fan of the show.

The men are almost all racists, chauvinists, and all the things you dislike in people.

Back