The United Kingdom Explained

I'm just call them all "limeys" - ignorant American I am, and clinging to such. :rolleyes:
( i believe when GB had a worldwide fleet, they found out that scurvy was caused by lack of vit. C, so ty put limes on ships?? am i correct??)

All the previous queens are dead, or didn't you cover that at school?
this one was Queen since the year I was born (54) and is still going strong.
PS. looks like I should have read the thread first, lots of great comments. All made in proper form of the Queen's English.

I'm just call them all "limeys" - ignorant American I am, and clinging to such. :rolleyes:
( i believe when GB had a worldwide fleet, they found out that scurvy was caused by lack of vit. C, so ty put limes on ships?? am i correct??)

In the days of sailing vessels that took weeks to cross the oceans the sailors did indeed get scurvy, or were prone to get it. For this reason they were fed dry tack. But since we did not want to share our undoubted expertise, we told our colonial cousins they were limes. Americans, of that time, were sufficiently ignorant to believe what they were told. Quite different from nowadays!

Wessex (West Saxon) united what we call England under Saxon control. The Saxons were almost certainly the biggest tribe of the Saxons, Angles, and Jutes. In Welsh, Scottish, and pre-Norman Conquest English, the English are called the Saxons. So why do we now call it England (Angles' Land). It seems to me that the Saxons are the people it should be named after.

I prefer "pommes" since both the French and Australians use that one too.

Back