The United Kingdom Explained

Also, I was wrong, Welsh is wwwaaaaayyy more popular than Scottish Gaelic. Like, a million speakers of Welsh vs. 50k or so of Scottish Gaelic.

Also, I was wrong, Welsh is wwwaaaaayyy more popular than Scottish Gaelic. Like, a million speakers of Welsh vs. 50k or so of Scottish Gaelic.

I was going to correct you but you did it for yourself. My mate Vince who has lived in Wales for over 25 years has two sons who speak Welsh fluently, it tends to be spoken more in North Wales than the South, so much so that people from Cardiff are called Cardiff Cockneys!

Funny enough my automobile needs new ball joints and is without wheels. Low, why is it when I try to simply have a nice historical discussion with you, that you must take a personal offense to it.

As for WWII, are you implying that we LOST the war? It wasn't a draw, and if we didn't win....

I am not implying that YOU lost the war. I am STATING that YOU did not win it. (spare me the 'we saved your sorry asses' claptrap)
I do not wish to have a historical discussion with you. I gave you a semi humourous piece. That you were unable to see that says more about you than it says about me.

The Celts were driven out by the Angles and Saxons in Northumberland, although I suppose there may be some descendants left in places like Berwick on Tweed.

Celtic DNA still predominates in parts of Cornwall, Wales, Cumbria and southern Scotland. It is now considered that the Celt we not driven out but that they 'merged'. Viking DNA is also still evident in the east and north east of the country. French DNA is mostly found in Brighton.
Some Celts emigrated to America where they changed their name slightly, as did many immigrants to America because they couldnt spell, keeping only the C, the T, and the S.

I was going to correct you but you did it for yourself. My mate Vince who has lived in Wales for over 25 years has two sons who speak Welsh fluently, it tends to be spoken more in North Wales than the South, so much so that people from Cardiff are called Cardiff Cockneys!

If a Welshman tells you to 'continue down the road and turn left at the leisure centre', look out for a sheep tied to a lamp post.

The Scottish and Welsh are both Celtic peoples. The English are mostly descendents of immigrant Germans (England literally meaning "land of the Angles", Angles being a tribe that lived in modern Germany just south of Denmark), with the native Celtic Bretons being driven out or assimilated. There is an independent Welsh and Scottish language, although practically nobody speaks either anymore except for the sake of doing so, besides perhaps some sheep farmers in the Scottish isles who are still waiting on electricity.

For the sake of completeness, the Cornish (basically the southwest peninsula of England) are technically a separate Celtic peoples as well, and have their own language which is even less used than Scottish or Welsh. Theoretically, I suppose, this is a separate "country" as well, although soverighnist movements aren't as strong there and support for actual Independence is probably non-existant.

The Cornish language has been resuscitated in early last century by a sort of club of believers called Mebyon Kernow (Sons of Cornwall). The last Cornish speaker, as opposed to people who have consciously learned it as a foreign language with a view to attracting American tourists, was Dolly Pentreath and she doyd in semteen semty sebm.
By Tre, Pol and Pen shall ye know all Cornish men.
Cornwall is not a country, nor is it a county. It is a Duchy and has a Dook.

I guess you never had a meal in London.

London has the best of the best and the worst of the worst, rather as, I imagine, New York has or Bore-ston or any other major city.
And I tell you this from recent experience, never order beef in a French restaurant unless you wish to feed it to the mangy cur under the table. The French make good wine, one or two half decent cheeses and rather nice ladies over forty.

London has the best of the best and the worst of the worst, rather as, I imagine, New York has or Bore-ston or any other major city.
And I tell you this from recent experience, never order beef in a French restaurant unless you wish to feed it to the mangy cur under the table. The French make good wine, one or two half decent cheeses and rather nice ladies over forty.

Of course, but as a somewhat objective observer, a casual run or the mill meal in France in signifacntly tastier than the same in England.

Bore-ston? simply not funny.

I am not implying that YOU lost the war. I am STATING that YOU did not win it. (spare me the 'we saved your sorry asses' claptrap)
I do not wish to have a historical discussion with you. I gave you a semi humourous piece. That you were unable to see that says more about you than it says about me.

Pardon me for trying to be nice. I'll just be an asshole to you in the future.

Dickhead.

The Cornish language has been resuscitated in early last century by a sort of club of believers called Mebyon Kernow (Sons of Cornwall). The last Cornish speaker, as opposed to people who have consciously learned it as a foreign language with a view to attracting American tourists, was Dolly Pentreath and she doyd in semteen semty sebm.
By Tre, Pol and Pen shall ye know all Cornish men.
Cornwall is not a country, nor is it a county. It is a Duchy and has a Dook.

The next thing up from a duchy is a kingdom, not a duchy. A country is an entirely different concept, a nationality. As I said, the Cornish have been assimilated to a greater degree than either of the other two, probably because there's just not that much to assimilate.

The next thing up from a duchy is a kingdom, not a duchy. A country is an entirely different concept, a nationality. As I said, the Cornish have been assimilated to a greater degree than either of the other two, probably because there's just not that much to assimilate.

The next thing up from a duchy is not a duchy??? Wow. Nothing gets past you, does it?
A duchy has a duke (I spelled it 'dook' so you could understand.
A 'shire' has a 'sherriff'
a county has a 'count'. Well, that's where the words originate but I doubt there was ever a time when all areas had their repective chiefs.
Watsher loike, beuy? a'Roit? 'ope you gess all that, my hansome. 'F youms lookin fran arggymen oi shan't givee one.

Very old, very corny story:
A Cornish man got a new job. His employer told him to take a wagon load of wood to London. About an hour later he asked directions. 'Zis Lunnon?', 'Naw, thisn Plymouth. Lunnon zup yonder.' Later he asked again, 'ere, zis Lunnon?' and again, 'Naw, this uz Exeter, m'dear.' He drove on. At Swindon he rolled down his window and called, 'ere maid, zis Lunnon?' She said, 'No, keep droivin for about another two hours.'
Eventually Jack found himself on the Thames embankment and called to a bowler hatted gent, 'Scuse oi, mister. Zis Lunnon?' 'Yes it is actually,' said the gent. 'This is the embankment and this is the River Thames.'
'Where dooee want this ere wood?'

The next thing up from a duchy is not a duchy??? Wow. Nothing gets past you, does it?
A duchy has a duke (I spelled it 'dook' so you could understand.
A 'shire' has a 'sherriff'
a county has a 'count'. Well, that's where the words originate but I doubt there was ever a time when all areas had their repective chiefs.
Watsher loike, beuy? a'Roit? 'ope you gess all that, my hansome. 'F youms lookin fran arggymen oi shan't givee one.

Very old, very corny story:
A Cornish man got a new job. His employer told him to take a wagon load of wood to London. About an hour later he asked directions. 'Zis Lunnon?', 'Naw, thisn Plymouth. Lunnon zup yonder.' Later he asked again, 'ere, zis Lunnon?' and again, 'Naw, this uz Exeter, m'dear.' He drove on. At Swindon he rolled down his window and called, 'ere maid, zis Lunnon?' She said, 'No, keep droivin for about another two hours.'
Eventually Jack found himself on the Thames embankment and called to a bowler hatted gent, 'Scuse oi, mister. Zis Lunnon?' 'Yes it is actually,' said the gent. 'This is the embankment and this is the River Thames.'
'Where dooee want this ere wood?'

Did any of this post make sense to anyone?

Let me put this in terms a toddler can understand. A country and a duchy are not two mutually exclusive states. The statement "it's not a country, it's a duchy" implies mutual exclusivity, or otherwise is a bizarre statement of two entirely unrelated facts in sequence. A duchy does share mutual exclusviity with a kingdom, so I was giving you the benefit of a doubt and trying to find ways in which you were not stupidly stating two unrelated facts, one of which was wrong or debatable. However, you apparently chose to reject my extension of doubt, instead demanding that I recognize you as the idiot that you. I suppose I shall grant your request. Congratulations.

Your comments about the various levels of aristocracy are already known. Your joke about the Cornish is irrelevant and didn't make me, or anyone, laugh.

Let me put this in terms a toddler can understand. A country and a duchy are not two mutually exclusive states. The statement "it's not a country, it's a duchy" implies mutual exclusivity, or otherwise is a bizarre statement of two entirely unrelated facts in sequence. A duchy does share mutual exclusviity with a kingdom, so I was giving you the benefit of a doubt and trying to find ways in which you were not stupidly stating two unrelated facts, one of which was wrong or debatable. However, you apparently chose to reject my extension of doubt, instead demanding that I recognize you as the idiot that you. I suppose I shall grant your request. Congratulations.

Your comments about the various levels of aristocracy are already known. Your joke about the Cornish is irrelevant and didn't make me, or anyone, laugh.

What exactly is your problem? You are arguing about nothing. Do you honestly think you are telling me something I am not aware of. I have NEVER said that a country and a duchy are mutually exclusive. I suggest you spend a moment or two to re-read exactly what I said, then take a nap and when you feel better come back and perhaps we'll talk.
At the moment you seem intent on making yourself look like a twat.

Back