The United Kingdom Explained

Tom, I would have been happy to read this, and actually since I am one who always likes to educate myself, I still will. But if you're getting offended over this? You really need to take some pills. I'd call up the doc for a script. Don't even worry too much about what kind of pills. Just pop a few.

Drug abuse and mental anguish aren't funny Darla. I'm ashamed of you.

Tom, I would have been happy to read this, and actually since I am one who always likes to educate myself, I still will. But if you're getting offended over this? You really need to take some pills. I'd call up the doc for a script. Don't even worry too much about what kind of pills. Just pop a few.

nice victim blaming darla.

Calling everyone from the UK "English" is insulting to the Scottish, Welsh, and Irish, and embarrassing to the English. Great Britian is slightly less ignorant, because it does at least include some minorities, but it does exclude the Irish. It's like calling every latino you see a Mexican. Are you honestly saying that, if you were a Scottish person living in the UK, you would find it no slight at all that people were constantly referring to your nationality as English and your country as England? It would really be kind of bizarre, and speak of a total lack of national pride, for them to not be peeved.
Until comparatively recently the whole country was known as England and it was only the modern penchent for an imagined independence that brought us to this state. I'm told (but have not read the book) that Winston S Churchill's tome The History of the English Speaking Peoples referred to the entire nation as England.
Of course we haven't always been England. We were invaded by the frogs in 1066 and subsequently our crown ruled over parts of Frogland and our official language (until the 14C) was Frog. Prior to the invasion by Norman the Bastard we were constantly being invaded by Germanic and Scandinavian tribes known as the Vikings. The latter, not trusting the woad covered and simple Brits, brought all their own furniture. No examples now exist since they found that each flat pack had a part missing and therefore had to be discarded.
We were several countries then, Northumbria, Mercia, Wessex to name but three. It was King Athelstan, the son or grandson of Alfred the Great (who did not burn cakes) who first united England and had we had a better internet connection at the time we probably could have better organised ourselves against the frog hoardes.

It was the discovery of oil in the North Sea that brought nationalism to the fore.
I actually KNOW some Scots and I take delight in sharing their pride by congratulating them for living in Englands largest county. Whether they are pleased or annoyed at this is difficult to say since their accents are so marked that one can only wonder that they know each others names.
Of course Scotland is named after the invaders from the northern part of Ireland, the Scotus who ran the Picts of town. S Johnson, in his dictionary entry for 'oats' describes it as a food that is grown for and fed to horses but which is eaten by the people in Scotland. Sums it up really.
When we were young, teachers and parents told us to dot all our 'i's and to cross all our 't's. Failure to do this results in the language of Wales and the Welsh. The Welsh sing a lot and, it is said, form rather strong relationships with their sheep. The Welsh tend to be a dark and swarthy race with much facial hair, dark eyebrows and luxuriant moustaches. The Welsh men lack beards.
Ireland is best left to its own devices and periodically, throughout history, their population is culled for their own good.

can someone tell me how the welsh are different from the english? I get the scotts being separate, get the irish. Don't know shit about the welsh though.

can someone tell me how the welsh are different from the english? I get the scotts being separate, get the irish. Don't know shit about the welsh though.

They're Welsh. The English as we know them come from the Norman conquest. Later they conquered the Welsh. Like the Bretons don't consider themselves French.

Until comparatively recently the whole country was known as England and it was only the modern penchent for an imagined independence that brought us to this state. I'm told (but have not read the book) that Winston S Churchill's tome The History of the English Speaking Peoples referred to the entire nation as England.
Of course we haven't always been England. We were invaded by the frogs in 1066 and subsequently our crown ruled over parts of Frogland and our official language (until the 14C) was Frog. Prior to the invasion by Norman the Bastard we were constantly being invaded by Germanic and Scandinavian tribes known as the Vikings. The latter, not trusting the woad covered and simple Brits, brought all their own furniture. No examples now exist since they found that each flat pack had a part missing and therefore had to be discarded.
We were several countries then, Northumbria, Mercia, Wessex to name but three. It was King Athelstan, the son or grandson of Alfred the Great (who did not burn cakes) who first united England and had we had a better internet connection at the time we probably could have better organised ourselves against the frog hoardes.

It was the discovery of oil in the North Sea that brought nationalism to the fore.
I actually KNOW some Scots and I take delight in sharing their pride by congratulating them for living in Englands largest county. Whether they are pleased or annoyed at this is difficult to say since their accents are so marked that one can only wonder that they know each others names.
Of course Scotland is named after the invaders from the northern part of Ireland, the Scotus who ran the Picts of town. S Johnson, in his dictionary entry for 'oats' describes it as a food that is grown for and fed to horses but which is eaten by the people in Scotland. Sums it up really.
When we were young, teachers and parents told us to dot all our 'i's and to cross all our 't's. Failure to do this results in the language of Wales and the Welsh. The Welsh sing a lot and, it is said, form rather strong relationships with their sheep. The Welsh tend to be a dark and swarthy race with much facial hair, dark eyebrows and luxuriant moustaches. The Welsh men lack beards.
Ireland is best left to its own devices and periodically, throughout history, their population is culled for their own good.

Except the Normans weren't French. They were Viking settlers. They hadn't even been in NORMANDY for a century. And France was hardly France at the time, seeing as the Burgundians existed.

Except the Normans weren't French. They were Viking settlers. They hadn't even been in NORMANDY for a century. And France was hardly France at the time, seeing as the Burgundians existed.

Didn't say anything about the French.

I am quite surprised that you haven't defended IKEA.

Technically, though, the English kings were vassals of the French kings well into the High Middle Ages.

Back