Threedee Is Buying a House Thread

Minister of Truth

Practically Perfect
I just got pre-approved for a VA Loan up to 215k. It's that low because I'm still paying off student loans, and thus have a high debt/income ratio, but I'm only looking at 160-200k anyway. Just signed off the forms with the VA rep today, and then looked at four houses with their local preferred agent. More to follow, as the process drags out.

First two houses are short-sale, and so could take a few months, and is dependent on the banks caving to my outrageous demands. Third house is basically good to go, and would be easiest to get. House 4 is an OMG deal, is located nowhere near the other three, and already has a bunch of offers, so it will probably be delisted soon, unless multiple people all manage to suck at negotiating at the exact same time (not in pending status, for some reason, even though the offers on it were all due on the 30th).

:king:

Attachments

• House 1.jpg
    House 1.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 13
  • House 2.jpg
    House 2.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 15
  • House 3.jpg
    House 3.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 15
  • House 4.jpg
    House 4.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 15
I just got pre-approved for a VA Loan up to 215k. It's that low because I'm still paying off student loans, and thus have a high debt/income ratio, but I'm only looking at 160-200k anyway. Just signed off the forms with the VA rep today, and then looked at four houses with their local preferred agent. More to follow, as the process drags out.

First two houses are short-sale, and so could take a few months, and is dependent on the banks caving to my outrageous demands. Third house is basically good to go, and would be easiest to get. House 4 is an OMG deal, is located nowhere near the other three, and already has a bunch of offers, so it will probably be delisted soon, unless multiple people all manage to suck at negotiating at the exact same time (not in pending status, for some reason, even though the offers on it were all due on the 30th).

:king:
You should live within your means and get one more affordable.
Just make sure you keep the wheels; so you can move, it if you have to. :D

I'm actually amazed the housing market still sucks. When it crashed in '08, I was like "fuck, why now?!!? By the time I'm ready to buy a house it will be a good market again." Luckily, I was wrong.

You should live within your means and get one more affordable.
Just make sure you keep the wheels; so you can move, it if you have to. :D

Meh, I'll need to live a little bit more frugally than I do now. I'm like a year ahead on my student loans, so if I start hurting, I can just stop paying them for a while. Also, half of them are about to get knocked out by a loan repayment benefit that is finally just about to kick in. My rent just went up an extra $100, and it's barely affecting me.

I'm actually amazed the housing market still sucks. When it crashed in '08, I was like "fuck, why now?!!? By the time I'm ready to buy a house it will be a good market again." Luckily, I was wrong.

The problem we're now having, at least in AZ, is that speculators are starting to buy up homes again.

Oh, yeah, and I was getting anally raped by Progressive for the last 6 months. By switching to Safeco, my payments just went down from $460 to $180 (including rental insurance, not included in the Progressive figure), so I just saved myself.

The problem we're now having, at least in AZ, is that speculators are starting to buy up homes again.

Not currently affecting my area. Apparently, 1/7 homes in Federal Way, WA, are on the market. Which is kind of depressing, when you think about it, but for guys like me it's a huge opportunity.

the first one looks cool. sort of like my best friend's living up in your area.

if i may offer some advice, my first opinion, is location, unless, you believe the area you are buying in will grow in a few years. my best friend, still stuck in his house, he wants to move, but can't, he didn't listen to me. location never changes. if you costs you a bit more to buy a house you live live in for a few years, buy the location you want. it will pay for itself.

there are a host of other things i could say, but it would take a book and in the end, my opinion is one of millions. my experience, location has never harmed me. the advice i received upon purchasing my first house is, buy a house you can live in for 5 years. that was 5 years ago.

if the house is a house you want to live in for 20 years, buy it. that is why opinions on buying houses number in the millions. there are so many reasons to buy a house and so many not to. you're a smart guy 3D, buy the house that has a mirror on the ceiling in the bedroom.

that is all.

I'd go with the 3rd, because it looks like its got the most land judging by how its situated. I agree on the market, and honestly hope recovery is far off, because I plan on buying some vacation spots.

Congratulations! Go with the red house.

The red house is awesome. It's 8 years older than the blue house, but it has been WAY better maintained, and so appears younger. Also, it's roomier, and is right down the street from a golf course.

Its only drawback compared to 1 & 3 is that it is quite a trek from I-5... 3 is near my apartment, and has an even straighter shot at I-5.

Not currently affecting my area. Apparently, 1/7 homes in Federal Way, WA, are on the market. Which is kind of depressing, when you think about it, but for guys like me it's a huge opportunity.

Are you planning on buying a house, or a home?
If it's just a house, then get something that you think will have resale value.
If you're looking for a home, then look for something that is going to be able to adjust as your life changes.
Is there room to build storage sheds, if necessary?
The number of bathrooms.
Each person has or will have different needs, so you just need to look at what your plans are.

The red house is awesome. It's 8 years older than the blue house, but it has been WAY better maintained, and so appears younger. Also, it's roomier, and is right down the street from a golf course.

Its only drawback compared to 1 & 3 is that it is quite a trek from I-5... 3 is near my apartment, and has an even straighter shot at I-5.

You couldn't be dealing in a more buyer-friendly market, so lucky you! Red house has great curb appeal - it looks well maintained, like it's been loved. That landscaping is beautiful and the bay window in front - very nice. Plus, if it's a little farther from the freeway, that also means it's quieter. A real plus, in my book.

the first one looks cool. sort of like my best friend's living up in your area.

if i may offer some advice, my first opinion, is location, unless, you believe the area you are buying in will grow in a few years. my best friend, still stuck in his house, he wants to move, but can't, he didn't listen to me. location never changes. if you costs you a bit more to buy a house you live live in for a few years, buy the location you want. it will pay for itself.

there are a host of other things i could say, but it would take a book and in the end, my opinion is one of millions. my experience, location has never harmed me. the advice i received upon purchasing my first house is, buy a house you can live in for 5 years. that was 5 years ago.

if the house is a house you want to live in for 20 years, buy it. that is why opinions on buying houses number in the millions. there are so many reasons to buy a house and so many not to. you're a smart guy 3D, buy the house that has a mirror on the ceiling in the bedroom.

that is all.

Yes, first house also reminds me of growing up here in WA. It is actually the largest lot, but most of that is just hillside and shrubbery.

As for location, I moved to Federal Way because it's roughly halfway between work and Seattle. Love the location, and can see myself staying here no problem.

Without looking at the property or the inside, I also like the old one.
It has "personallity".

One rule: Stay away from anything that has an HOA.

Without looking at the property or the inside, I also like the old one.
It has "personallity".

One rule: Stay away from anything that has an HOA.

Yeah, HOA's weird me out. I like suburban, but they tend to be robotic. Also, I hate the idea of paying a fee for the privilege of being in the club, even if it's cheap, because it's a fee I get absolutely nothing out of.

All of these houses have 2+ bathrooms, and at least 4 bedrooms. The red house has 5 bedrooms.

Again though.
If you're just buying a house, then get one that is low maintenance; because a home will always repay you, by being comfortable.

More bedrooms is always a plus.

Yeah, HOA's weird me out. I like suburban, but they tend to be robotic. Also, I hate the idea of paying a fee for the privilege of being in the club, even if it's cheap, because it's a fee I get absolutely nothing out of.
Add in that you can't do hardly anything, that isn't a violation.

Back