Threedee Is Buying a House Thread

One interesting thing about House 1 is someone built a nifty little patio. Aside from that, it's a real fixer up outside. The owners have not lived in it for a while, so the property needs some work, and I am lazy. Lot's of weeds and stuff around the exterior. Even the patio has declined since the photo was taken.

Attachments

• House 1 Patio.jpg
    House 1 Patio.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 3
I just got pre-approved for a VA Loan up to 215k. It's that low because I'm still paying off student loans, and thus have a high debt/income ratio, but I'm only looking at 160-200k anyway. Just signed off the forms with the VA rep today, and then looked at four houses with their local preferred agent. More to follow, as the process drags out.

First two houses are short-sale, and so could take a few months, and is dependent on the banks caving to my outrageous demands. Third house is basically good to go, and would be easiest to get. House 4 is an OMG deal, is located nowhere near the other three, and already has a bunch of offers, so it will probably be delisted soon, unless multiple people all manage to suck at negotiating at the exact same time (not in pending status, for some reason, even though the offers on it were all due on the 30th).

:king:

I am so excited for you! They all look like great choices! Good luck!

One interesting thing about House 1 is someone built a nifty little patio. Aside from that, it's a real fixer up outside. The owners have not lived in it for a while, so the property needs some work, and I am lazy. Lot's of weeds and stuff around the exterior. Even the patio has declined since the photo was taken.

Never-never-never take on someone else's attempted repairs.
I've found that once you start it's never as it seemed and you end up spending way more then you figured.

Again though.
If you're just buying a house, then get one that is low maintenance; because a home will always repay you, by being comfortable.

More bedrooms is always a plus.

Basically, I played a bunch of Clue when I was a kid, and so fell in love with roomy. I want some spare rooms to build my billiard room and my study, etc.

Basically, I played a bunch of Clue when I was a kid, and so fell in love with roomy. I want some spare rooms to build my billiard room and my study, etc.

If you go for less then what you want, rooms, you'll always regret it and eventually you'll hate where you're living.

Yes, first house also reminds me of growing up here in WA. It is actually the largest lot, but most of that is just hillside and shrubbery.

As for location, I moved to Federal Way because it's roughly halfway between work and Seattle. Love the location, and can see myself staying here no problem.

How far inside city limits? Far enouh outside, you may want to go with that (I think we both know why).

How far inside city limits? Far enouh outside, you may want to go with that (I think we both know why).

Federal Way marks the southern border of King County, while Seattle is to the North (just shy of being the Northern border to towns I grew up in - Lake Forest Park and Shoreline). It is actually in the Area Code of Pierce County. It is roughly 30 min. from Seattle city limits, and about 20 min. from the main gate of McChord (so, basically a 25 min. commute to work).

Since a couple of them show some really tall trees, have someone take a look and make sure they are healthy.
If not, see how much it's going to cost to have them removed and get the seller to adjust accordingly.
You can't beat trees to help reduce your summer heat costs and during the winters, they'll shelter your home from drifts and such.
Plus I love going outside at night and just sitting under the two big pines in my front yard and listening to the wind blow through them.
Sometimes pest birds can be a problem, but there are ways to control them.

The nice thing about VA Loans is that I am REQUIRED to have the property I make an offer on investigated. I can just tell everyone, "sorry, not my call," and avoid anyone getting whiny at me. :D

Rents keep going up. My son rents for more than my mortgage in a lesser house in a lesser area. Plus you get the mortgage and tax deductions.

Since a couple of them show some really tall trees, have someone take a look and make sure they are healthy.
If not, see how much it's going to cost to have them removed and get the seller to adjust accordingly.
You can't beat trees to help reduce your summer heat costs and during the winters, they'll shelter your home from drifts and such.
Plus I love going outside at night and just sitting under the two big pines in my front yard and listening to the wind blow through them.
Sometimes pest birds can be a problem, but there are ways to control them.

Oh, yes, House 3 has the trees for sure. I grew up in Lake Forest Park. I have seen plenty of trees go down, and I have seen some pre-emptively cut. This dilemma basically defines a part of my childhood.

Well, it's time to fire the bike up and go on a ride with my friends.
Meeting up with another group and get to know each other.
Should be fun.

:D

I am also about to re-enlist, so I'm hoping to get a decent bonus for it. I had to take a 2-year re-enlistment in 2010, because I didn't have all my crap together until the last minute, and got nothing out of it except a consolation prize consisting of some junk from the DoD for filling out a survey explaining why I had chosen to re-enlist.

Yes, first house also reminds me of growing up here in WA. It is actually the largest lot, but most of that is just hillside and shrubbery.

As for location, I moved to Federal Way because it's roughly halfway between work and Seattle. Love the location, and can see myself staying here no problem.

i am very disappointed you didn't mention the part of the mirror ceiling advice.

i'm concerned about you 3D.

i am very disappointed you didn't mention the part of the mirror ceiling advice.

i'm concerned about you 3D.

I actually do not recall what you are referring to. My memory sucks.

I do recall advising you to move up here to the Kenmore area, but that's about it...

I would never live within Seattle city limits, because of all the BS you have to deal with. Great area to live around, but not in. I don't know how Brent does it.

you're talking about king county, which is perversely liberal. though i will note, their policies piss off many liberals. go figure.

Back