Threedee Is Buying a House Thread

I was raised on Old Holywood, so I am incapable of bashing an old film for its technological flaws, unless it sucked for its time. Old motion picture serials were a big part of my childhood. For example, the flying sequences of 1940's Captain Marvel serial are still somewhat impressive, and actually better than anything which would be released for the following two decades.

I love Old Hollywood, and just watched this one (Netflix has it).

MV5BMTk1MjQ4MzEzNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjYzMjY3MQ@@._V1._SY317_CR3,0,214,317_.jpg

A serial killer in London is murdering young women whom he meets through the personal columns of newspapers; he announces each of his murders to the police by sending them a cryptic poem...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0039589/

housing is expensive in your area.....my son bought a foreclosed house last year, three bedroom, bath and a half, hardwood floors, two fireplaces for $54k......a couple of years ago I saw a two year old home on five acres with a stable go for $250k........

3D honestly. If you're not married and don't plan on doing so soon for that price range you can purchase an upscale condo in an excellent location. It's one hell of a lot less hassle and your utilities are substantially lower than for a house. My wife and I don't have kids (yet) and we both work a lot of long hours so we purchased a nice condo in an upscale location. It's about a 4.5 mile drive to work for both of us. is located next to a beautiful park and when we come home from a long day at work we don't have to deal with a lot of yard and house work. We go hang out at the pool instead. That is, unless you like doing that kind of work. It's something you should certainly consider if your single.

Not interested in a condo.

Well, looks like the red house had an offer made on it. Someone literally waited until I glanced at it in order to make an offer.

Soooo... this leaves me with House 3 (with all of those trees). My agent is going to make an offer. Actually, this house is still pretty nice, and it's in a super convenient location for me. Having all the trees will just remind me of home in Lake Forest Park. As for upkeep, the backyard is actually symetrical, not very large, and has one of those awesome iron mesh fences that I am actually quite fond of. The outside will be easy. Managing the interior will be harder, but the way it is laid out actually helps. Three of the bedrooms are situated right around a sort of secondary living room, which is also where two of the three bathrooms are. It actually reminds me of my college apartment-style dorm room that I used to live in for 2/3 of my undergrad years.

Not interested in a condo.

Well, looks like the red house had an offer made on it. Someone literally waited until I glanced at it in order to make an offer.

Soooo... this leaves me with House 3 (with all of those trees). My agent is going to make an offer. Actually, this house is still pretty nice, and it's in a super convenient location for me. Having all the trees will just remind me of home in Lake Forest Park. As for upkeep, the backyard is actually symetrical, not very large, and has one of those awesome iron mesh fences that I am actually quite fond of. The outside will be easy. Managing the interior will be harder, but the way it is laid out actually helps. Three of the bedrooms are situated right around a sort of secondary living room, which is also where two of the three bathrooms are. It actually reminds me of my college apartment-style dorm room that I used to live in for 2/3 of my undergrad years.

You could always make a counter offer, on the red one.
On House #3, what is the room(s) above the garage.

I just got pre-approved for a VA Loan up to 215k. It's that low because I'm still paying off student loans, and thus have a high debt/income ratio, but I'm only looking at 160-200k anyway. Just signed off the forms with the VA rep today, and then looked at four houses with their local preferred agent. More to follow, as the process drags out.

First two houses are short-sale, and so could take a few months, and is dependent on the banks caving to my outrageous demands. Third house is basically good to go, and would be easiest to get. House 4 is an OMG deal, is located nowhere near the other three, and already has a bunch of offers, so it will probably be delisted soon, unless multiple people all manage to suck at negotiating at the exact same time (not in pending status, for some reason, even though the offers on it were all due on the 30th).

:king:

Good for you. Good luck.
Your instinct to not buy from a bank is good.

You could always make a counter offer, on the red one.
On House #3, what is the room(s) above the garage.

It's difficult to outbid people with a VA Loan. Also, the house is short-sale, so the bank that holds the mortgage probably considers to listing to be too low to begin with, and a whole host of issues. Also, the VA would likely bitch about the deck railing having been torn out and only half re-finished, as some sort of hazard. It all adds up to me not getting it.

The garage is underneith the main living room/dining area.

I know, suddenly those stupid $0.07 per $1000 of assessed property value funding bills seem like the plague. And people wonder why property owners wish death upon renters/non-owners within the realm of voting.

I know, suddenly those stupid $0.07 per $1000 of assessed property value funding bills seem like the plague. And people wonder why property owners wish death upon renters/non-owners within the realm of voting.

last week my son (who bought a foreclosure home last year) came to me in a panic because he realized he had taxes due in August and didn't have $1800 in the bank.......I had to remind him that he was paying a tax and insurance escrow with every monthly payment.......by the way, did you think rental property owners don't pay property taxes?........

last week my son (who bought a foreclosure home last year) came to me in a panic because he realized he had taxes due in August and didn't have $1800 in the bank.......I had to remind him that he was paying a tax and insurance escrow with every monthly payment.......by the way, did you think rental property owners don't pay property taxes?........

I believe he is speaking directly of those who rent and don't pay those taxes. Although they pay them through their rents... Just like those who have mortgages pay them in their Escrow accounts.

Why are right wingers so violent? I have never in my life wished death on renters. I've been a renter. Haven't most people at one time or the other? Perhaps it is more common here in NY, where renters are not looked down on for the most part as I've heard they are in other parts of the country. In NYC everyone takes the bus and the subway so people who don't own cars are not stigmatized at all. As far as I know no one wishes death on them either.

What a world view it must be when you inhabit a righty mind. Kill kill kill, death death death, gun gun gun.

So glad I'm not one.

I just got pre-approved for a VA Loan up to 215k. It's that low because I'm still paying off student loans, and thus have a high debt/income ratio, but I'm only looking at 160-200k anyway. Just signed off the forms with the VA rep today, and then looked at four houses with their local preferred agent. More to follow, as the process drags out.

First two houses are short-sale, and so could take a few months, and is dependent on the banks caving to my outrageous demands. Third house is basically good to go, and would be easiest to get. House 4 is an OMG deal, is located nowhere near the other three, and already has a bunch of offers, so it will probably be delisted soon, unless multiple people all manage to suck at negotiating at the exact same time (not in pending status, for some reason, even though the offers on it were all due on the 30th).

:king:

Cool!!!

Good Luck

Back