on indefiniate mod break
Contributor
http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/06/travel/usa-beer-towns/index.html

4. Boston, Massachusetts
History: 10
Breweries: 7
Bars: 8
Events: 7

The first brewery in Massachusetts emerged not long after the Pilgrims dropped anchor, owing to the fact that beer was safer to drink than the water. Though the Pilgrims were aiming for Virginia, they ran out of brew and stopped in Massachusetts -- thus a beer town was born.
Eventually, Boston was blessed with a number of microbreweries, including the best-selling craft brewer in America, Boston Beer Co. -- producer of Samuel Adams -- and Harpoon Brewery. Notable hits on the bar crawl include Cambridge and Cape Ann Brewing Cos., Deep Ellum and The Publick House, alongside historic pubs like Green Dragon, The Warren Tavern (Boston's oldest) and Sunset Grill & Tap.
With this lively scene, it's not hard to believe that Boston consumes the most beer per capita in the United States. It's also home to the American Craft Beer Fest, the East Coast's largest celebration of domestic micros, featuring 600+ varieties from 125+ American brewers.
Top draws: Harpoon IPA, Beer Works Bunker Hill Blueberry Ale

Last edited:
Eh, some of the cities I could see, but some.....ashville? Fuck no. No way is it a better beer drinkers city than Detroit.

I have been to 5 out of 8. They are great cities and I have always found good beer. Denver is the one I have been to most often.

I have been to 5 out of 8. They are great cities and I have always found good beer. Denver is the one I have been to most often.
I've only been to three of the 8. I haven't done to much traveling in the western half of the country but I've been all over the eastern half. I'm surprized Philly is on the list......large chunks of that city are like Detroit. A major shit hole. Asheville has the best microbrew scene east of the Mississipi and is one of the coolest cities I've ever been too. I'm greatly surprized it's not higher up the list. I've been to the Thirsty Monk and it can only be described as "Way cool".

http://www.monkpub.com/

I've only been to three of the 8. I haven't done to much traveling in the western half of the country but I've been all over the eastern half. I'm surprized Philly is on the list......large chunks of that city are like Detroit. A major shit hole. Asheville has the best microbrew scene east of the Mississipi and is one of the coolest cities I've ever been too. I'm greatly surprized it's not higher up the list. I've been to the Thirsty Monk and it can only be described as "Way cool".

I've been to Asheville and I agree... cool town. Wife and I took a week last June and drove the Blue Ridge Parkway. If you've never had the experience, I highly suggest it. Absolutely beautiful slice of Americana.

My experience is the opposite, I have been all over the West, but little travel back East. I hope to rectify that when we retire!

I've been to Asheville and I agree... cool town. Wife and I took a week last June and drove the Blue Ridge Parkway. If you've never had the experience, I highly suggest it. Absolutely beautiful slice of Americana.
I used to live in North Carolina. Driving the Blue Ridge Pkwy in the fall can only be described as "spectacular". I've also done it several times on my bike. Rode up the tail of the dragon and then descended it (passed quite a few Harley's on the switch backs) and I also rode up Clingmans dome. I'm seriously considering Asheville for my retirement home.

I used to live in North Carolina. Driving the Blue Ridge Pkwy in the fall can only be described as "spectacular". I've also done it several times on my bike. Rode up the tail of the dragon and then descended it (passed quite a few Harley's on the switch backs) and I also rode up Clingmans dome. I'm seriously considering Asheville for my retirement home.

Blue Ridge Parkway?

Puh-Leeze!

You need to head out west young man and drive the Million Dollar Highway between Ouray and Durango in Colorado.

If you want spectacular, majestic scenery and NOT tiny little tree covered bumps the locals like to pretend are "mountains", then come to Colorado, man!

I think they just put Ashville on the list to make the South feel included.

That said, it's nice to live so close to Portland. I really need to tour its beer scene, and then drop down to Bend. We also need to get Woodinville, WA on the list. Its already got Redhook and Mac 'n Jack. It also has wineries and a distillery.

Blue Ridge Parkway?

Puh-Leeze!

You need to head out west young man and drive the Million Dollar Highway between Ouray and Durango in Colorado.

If you want spectacular, majestic scenery and NOT tiny little tree covered bumps the locals like to pretend are "mountains", then come to Colorado, man!

Then if you want even more Magesty you need to come to Alaska! Denali!

Back