Top 8 Beer cities . . . Boston #4 ;)

Last time I was in NYC, the best beer I could locate was Blue Moon, which is pretty sad. Same went for Buffalo, Ottawa, and Montreal. Only city in the area that I found a decent brewery was Toronto - a place called Mill Street Brewery on the outskirts of the city.

Beer selection in Texas and Louisiana sucked sweaty balls. Only Mississippi seemed to have a couple decent micros.
You must have missed the Shiner Brewing Co.

Well, at least if you have a Blue Moon handy you're in decent shape. I had a roommate from Texas who introduced me to Shiner and gave me a Shiner Bock he picked up at the store. Pretty decent, I thought, and it was nice to know that some good breweries exist down there. Typically, when I think of the South I think liquor.

Well, at least if you have a Blue Moon handy you're in decent shape. I had a roommate from Texas who introduced me to Shiner and gave me a Shiner Bock he picked up at the store. Pretty decent, I thought, and it was nice to know that some good breweries exist down there. Typically, when I think of the South I think liquor.
I tried a Shiner road house spring ale a week ago. I liked it much more than Shiner Bock. Not that Shiner Bock is bad, it's just an average Bock. The spring ale on the other hand was a nice light drinkable seasonal ale.

As much as I despise Oregon, they do have some pretty awesome breweries. But I still prefer Seattle-area breweries such as Red Hook, Big E, and Diamond Knot.

From Bend to Portland to Seattle and even to Vancouver... you are not going to go wrong up in the Northwest if looking for Breweries. Apparently I don't pay enough attention to beer when in San Fran, because it surprised me on that list.

Amen.

One of the best vacations I have had... took the train from Anchorage... awesome.

We just did the Southbound cruise. You know what amazed me? Bald Eagles....for the first day. Then all of a sudden you notice that they are like crows up there. They're. Everywhere.

From Bend to Portland to Seattle and even to Vancouver... you are not going to go wrong up in the Northwest if looking for Breweries. Apparently I don't pay enough attention to beer when in San Fran, because it surprised me on that list.

They started the modern west coast scene back when Carter removed the restrictions. Much as I hate Cali and wish we could give it back to Mexico, they did do SOMETHING decent for a change.

You see, the false premise is your "bigger is better" thing. I've seen the Rockies... at least parts of them...I've seen the mountains in Alaska, which were spectacular to behold. But as God as my witness The Appalachians are beautiful too.

I mean...does Everything have to be a pissing contest?

It was he who claimed that they were "every bit as big as" the Rockies. Hence my reference to "bigness".. Beautiful hills they are, I liked them, but the soft rolling hills I saw are nothing at all like what I grew up knowing as mountains.

I wasn't kidding, I actually didn't realize I was driving through mountains until I saw that sign.

I have a friend who has driven both the Rockies and Cascades, having been raised in Seattle with Milwaukee roots, and he says the Cascades are a more difficult drive (this could be mostly a product of better roads in CO/WY/MT than in WA/OR). He plans to hit up the Appalachians sometime to see what they're like.

It was he who claimed that they were "every bit as big as" the Rockies. Hence my reference to "bigness".. Beautiful hills they are, I liked them, but the soft rolling hills I saw are nothing at all like what I grew up knowing as mountains.

I wasn't kidding, I actually didn't realize I was driving through mountains until I saw that sign.

Yeah....elevations are in relation to sea level. Mt Mitchell is the highest peak east of the Mississippi at 11,000+ ft. So compared to the Rockies, that's probably mediocre.

The thing is, the Appalachians are a much older mountain range that has had a longer time to erode. There is a valley about 7 miles from my house that is shaped like a perfect U...you can tell that whole valley was carved by a glacier at one point. That has nothing to do with it, but it's a really neat view.

Back