Top Ten Places to raise a family

Apparently their idea of affordability is a bit different than the rest of ours. Missouri does have a much lower cost of living than places on the coasts. Even so, I don't think that an 1100 sq ft 2-bed/1 bath starter house with a 7000 sq ft yard (your basic postage stamp, lol) that sold for $195,000 is really affordable for most young ppl just starting out. The homes in that area range from about $200K (tiny house) up to well over a million.

Getting housing on some of the lakes near where I live is expensive. Must be why, several more well known people have houses. My list will make Trump supporters cranky. Rapper Eminem has a house out here, and Micheal Moore has one. Lets keep it fair, and give them one, with Kid Rock.

Most of them are much too small for me, I left my small hometown and prefer city life!

My brother used to live in an Apartment building, just down from the Hancock building, in Chicago. Then he left following work, and he ended up in Houston. That gave the family a chill for awhile.

Getting housing on some of the lakes near where I live is expensive. Must be why, several more well known people have houses. My list will make Trump supporters cranky. Rapper Eminem has a house out here, and Micheal Moore has one. Lets keep it fair, and give them one, with Kid Rock.

Yeah, same here with lake-front homes, especially ones on Superior. There is one huge property to our south that was for sale for $40M; with 5,000 acres, a working farm, its own wind-generated power system so it's totally off-grid, and a huge home built in the 1920s or something like that. It was owned by some banker; now it's owned by some investment guy who also has a home in Chicago. Mostly though the lake-front homes range from $300K - a couple of million.

Away from lake-side you can get a very nice and sizable home on acreage for less than $200K. Average cost per sq ft here is under $100/sq ft.

actually I have mixed feelings on that......the bright side is that it keeps lib'ruls out......the fewer of them here the better......

Ohio is a solidly red state. With the exception of Illinois, for the most part so is Illinois. Missouri definitely is as well -- except for the tiny blue islands of KC and STL. Even the suburbs of STL tend to vote for conservative candidates. We were in Congressional District 2 which has been red for quite a while, thanks to gerrymandering. You may remember Todd "Legitimate Rape" Akin. He was our Rep.

puke.jpg

Ohio is a solidly red state. With the exception of Illinois, for the most part so is Illinois. Missouri definitely is as well -- except for the tiny blue islands of KC and STL. Even the suburbs of STL tend to vote for conservative candidates. We were in Congressional District 2 which has been red for quite a while, thanks to gerrymandering. You may remember Todd "Legitimate Rape" Akin. He was our Rep.

View attachment 5100

weren't you from Michigan?.....I'm from West Michigan.....toolip country......

I take it the author has never ventured outside of the Midwest? Also, how can you list a suburb of Chicago? It's a good idea to raise a family that close to rapid gunfire?!!?
This might come as a surprise to you but not all of Chicago is a ghetto and there’s a shit loads of money there.

View attachment 5100
Say what? Ohio has never been a solidly red State. Ohio is all over the map politically. It’s the most purple State in the country. Has been for over 100 years.

I was surprised to see so many places in the Midwest and Pennsylvania....but you know what? Every kid should get to live where it snows. What is childhood without snowball fights, snow forts, snowmen, and sledding. Not much of a childhood, I would say!

Not surprising to me but I grew up here and have traveled a lot. Low population density, affluence, reasonable taxes and low housing cost plus good schools add up to a good place to raise a family.

Interesting -- the one in Missouri was next door to where we lived. Nice suburb but quite pricey. Loved the older homes -- mostly brick, built mid-20th-century or earlier, lovely architecture. Sidewalks on most of the streets and friendly neighbors too.

It seemed though like the article just focused on a small part of America, the Midwest.
Because that's the only part that ever mattered.

Not always. Buckeyes are a pretty independent lot. Ohio has voted for the winning president in 28 of the last 30 elections.

and if the demmycrats hadn't stolen the election in Chicago back in 64, it would have been 29.......oh, and the 30th was when Dewey picked an Ohioan for VP......now if they could only get over their passion for sheep, learned how to play football and stopped setting fire to their rivers we might even consider them human......

and if the demmycrats hadn't stolen the election in Chicago back in 64, it would have been 29.......oh, and the 30th was when Dewey picked an Ohioan for VP......now if they could only get over their passion for sheep, learned how to play football and stopped setting fire to their rivers we might even consider them human......

Still jealous that our Sheep are hotter than yours? How many times has Michigan beat Ohio State in the last 17 years. Twice maybe? Oh and Michigan is only second too New Jersey in the number of Super Fund sites.

To top that off Ohio has Mott. You do not. You have bar stool Billy.

Back