Top Ten Places to raise a family

You would have only been an hour away from Lake Michigan! The whole grea Lakes region is one of the most beautiful parts of the country. Often exceeding either coast in beauty. These may seem like bold words but are non the less true but a drive across rt. 2 in Wisconsin puts the PCH to shame we’re scenic beauty is concerned.

Yes, I always thought some big ass lakes and rivers would be an acceptable substitute for my beloved ocean.
I spend a lot of time in Ontario and Quebec provinces, and the amount and size of lakes and rivers there it astonishing! I love the Saint Lawrence River (what an unbelievable river!), and have been canoeing on killer lakes in Quebec province. In short, I agree that the whole Great Lakes/St. Lawrence basin region is incredible!

Well if you just drive through on the highway sure but there’s plenty of Woodlands and river valleys that might change your perspective if you get off the danged highway.

I often hear coastal folks belittle the Midwest and Sure it’s not exactly the most awe inspiring scenery in the agricultural intensive regions but it’s also some of the finest land in the world which explains why the Great Lakes Region is the second largest population center in the nation and produces more economically, culturally, industrially, scientifically and technologically than the Pacific Coast region does which comes as quite a surprise to people who haven’t studied technology transfer and many don’t realize that the population of the Great Lakes region is comparable to the North East region and is significantly larger than the Pacific Coast region.

You're right; parts of southern (downstate) Illinois are very beautiful -- forested and hilly. Your other post about the Great Lakes region's beauty is true as well. We live on a ridge overlooking Lake Superior; have a link to a photo album of this area on my profile. Mining, logging, and shipping are the biggest industries in our locale. We often see huge freighters pass by out the front windows. Apparently we never get tired of watching when one is loading/off-loading at the upper harbor; there's always a crowd down there. The Great Lakes region was and still is the industrial might of America. Unfortunately the environment and the Lakes have paid the price for that, but it is something we are remediating.

depends on what interests you.......you could come during the world's largest art festival.........or the comedy week.......it's the Beer capital of the world so you could visit the craft breweries......walk the Medical Mile.......or the Frederik Meijer Gardens......there's the new Outlet Mall......the Gold Coast (Saugatuck, Holland, Grand Haven) to enjoy the beach.....

Thanks. I'd be willing to give that another shot. One of our aunts lived in Holland. The beaches there were amazing, as well as the huge sand dunes. Unfortunately the two times we visited there had been a massive fish kill in Lake Michigan. The beaches were covered with rotting creatures. Thankfully since then we invented the EPA and that nonsense has ended.

Thanks. I'd be willing to give that another shot. One of our aunts lived in Holland. The beaches there were amazing, as well as the huge sand dunes. Unfortunately the two times we visited there had been a massive fish kill in Lake Michigan. The beaches were covered with rotting creatures. Thankfully since then we invented the EPA and that nonsense has ended.

Had nothing to do with EPA....had to do with illegal immigrants.....alewives

Back