Trump backs out of "60 Minutes" interview after appearing "scattered" and incoherent in Wisconsin

PHD paths usually pay for their own tuition,
Disingenuous. The person acquiring the PhD is who earns the future income, not the PhD credential.

I wonder who is the top paid, the someone with a radiological technologist certificate, a medical doctor, or a engineer developing the next generation of diagnostic equipment... You are claiming it is the radiological technologist.
Don't assign bogus positions to me just so you'll have something to attack.

Elon Musk, Bill Gates, Taylor Swift, Jeff Bezos, Salman bin Abdulaziz (king of Saudi Arabia), Ken Griffin, (founder and CEO of Citadel), Donald Trump, and many others have no PhD. Your assertion that a PhD is somehow responsible for generating more income than a human without a PhD is rather silly.

Seriously, any job that requires only certs is going to pay you at most $70 an hour,
I will reiterate that you don't know what you are talking about.

I have a low opinion of certs.
As do I, for the reasons I mentioned. That has no bearing on the employers who require them or on your pivot away from certs being required far more than a PhD.

Most of the employers I deal with are more cutting edge,
You claim that they are "cutting edge" but that they don't require certs. I don't believe you.

They bring me in to help figure out whether the applicant is really qualified, and do not trust an online cert.
You are pivoting again. Certs cover a certain fixed domain. Any business will demand certs for domains of the business, and will pursue additional vetting of individuals for domains outside of those covered by certs.

I think certs will get you some licenses in healthcare, but outside of that I know of no licenses that a technical cert will get you.
The purpose of a cert is to ensure a domain of knowledge, not to acquire a license.

You clearly have no idea how a PHD usually works.
You use the word "clearly" whenever you wander into unfamiliar territory and dig a hole for yourself.

Suffice to say that as far as I am concerned, you might very well be in high school, pretending to be a PhD because lying about such has perhaps worked for you in the past. In an online forum, however, all of your words must stand on their own, and yours do not.

Usually, PHD students are doing research and teaching to get their PHD.
Yep.

It gives them academic experience, but also pays their tuition in full, and pays them a stipend to live on.
If they're in such a program. When you graduate from high school, you'll learn about night school for professionals.

To get a PHD you have to do original research,
Nope.

I've read too many theses that were full of sufficient unintelligible crap that the PhD advisor felt he could just let it slide without anyone caring.

The reality is that universities have long since become WOKE and greatly fear being labelled as RACIST! so most minorities who turn in sufficient CRAP get the PhD credential handed to them. Yes, there are PhD theses that have excellent research presented, but most don't present any solid conclusion, which should absolutely preclude them from being accepted.

Take this with you as you move forward: research alone is not enough, regardless of how voluminous it might be.

Nonetheless, every day students are being awarded PhDs for crap that does not add to humanity's body of knowledge. As it stands, when someone tells me that he has a PhD, my thoughts are "Big fucking deal, so does everyone, and it is rare for one to actually be meaningful."

There is a PHD dissertation, along with a PHD dissertation defense.
Universities just want your cash and find it easier to just award the PhD if the tuition is paid. PhDs are fucking worthless now.

Tell someone that you have a PhD and he won't care. You'll come off as an academic who can't actually do anything practical and who isn't headed for grander things as those I mention above. On the other hand, tell someone that you have a bachelors degree in electrical engineering or that you are a certified cloud solutions architect, for example, and you'll suitably impress.

When hiring a new PHD, I always read the PHD dissertation, to get an idea of what sort of research they can do.
When I read a dissertation, I jump right to "Conclusions" ... and am always disappointed.

A number from an online cert will not tell me anywhere near as much information.
That's because you can't really do any research. If you could actually perform research, you would find out the knowledge domain of the cert so that you would know what the candidate understands. Reading a PhD dissertation tells you nothing beyond the candidate's inability to articulate any valid conclusions.

People lie about everything,
I'm amazed at your dismissive acceptance. When people such as yourself claim to have a PhD in some area, they have absolutely no excuse for getting anything wrong, especially the easy fundamentals.

You are claiming to have a PhD so don't make any more rookie errors.

In what is your claimed PhD?

but it is darn tough to get away with a lie about a PHD.
I spot them right away.

Do you believe in Global Warming and Climate Change?

You would have to somehow get a PHD dissertation into the archives,
Nope. People claim having a PhD without specifying what it is or from where. They simply claim a PhD. People of similar political persuasions always take the claim on face value. I do not.

I already outlined why I would catch someone who lied about having a PHD, but it took a little while to figure out why I do not run into this anymore.
You're discussing the wrong point. First, I grant you that I am not the only one who can spot someone who is lying about PhD, but I am specifically referring to an anonymous internet forum such as JPP. Second, you're supposed to be explaining why someone who has no PhD and who simply has certifications in every domain of relevance for a position ... is somehow not qualified.

I'd like to hear your explanation.

My job is usually to figure out what the PHD means.
Frankly, if I were hiring for a technical position, I wouldn't ask you to review a dissertation that obviously does not cover the job duties. That sounds absolutely absurd on its face. I would expect you to first check all relevant certifications and then vet where certifications do not cover.

So you start out by reading the PHD dissertation,
I wouldn't ever have that done. You'll get nothing from it except for possibly misplaced disappointment.

reading the doctoral advisor's recent peer reviewed papers, etc.
Now I'm certain that you believe in Global Warming and Climate Change. Please ask me how I know.

Then you talk to the doctoral advisor,
I can't see any company having any need for your services. I really don't.

and a few other people at the university.
You seem to worship academics.

Those who can, do. Those who can't have no choice but to teach.

Universities just want your cash and find it easier to just award the PhD if the tuition is paid.
That is just not how PHD's usually work. Usually, the university pays the tuition, and even pays the student a salary called a stipend. The PHD student pays for his education by teaching, and doing research.

A university wants your hard work. Their incentive is to hold you there making low wages for as long as they can. There is a reason that graduate students are called "slave labor."

Nope. People claim having a PhD without specifying what it is or from where. They simply claim a PhD. People of similar political persuasions always take the claim on face value. I do not.
So in this fantasy world, people are applying for jobs saying they have a PHD, without specifying in what, or from where? Couldn't that also happen with a cert? I could say, I have a cert in something.

In the real world, if you are going to put a PHD on your resume, you are going to give enough details to know what it is, and where it is from.

but I am specifically referring to an anonymous internet forum such as JPP
Anyone can claim to have a cert on JPP too. The claim that certs are better than PHD's, because anyone can claim to have a PHD just falls apart. PHD's have more details involved, and their reliability are more defended. You can think of it as an exclusive club, that other PHD's are unwilling to throw open to the masses.

Second, you're supposed to be explaining why someone who has no PhD and who simply has certifications in every domain of relevance for a position ... is somehow not qualified.
There are fields where a cert suffices, but many that a cert is nowhere near qualified. A cert can only be for relatively simple, limited knowledge. There is no way to get a cert for research.

I can't see any company having any need for your services. I really don't.
I have way too many offers and not enough time, which means I really do not care if you do not want to hire me.

That is just not how PHD's usually work.
It's how universities work. State for the record that you don't think universities are WOKE.

Also, I can't deny my own observations. PhD students get away with turning in crap and get awarded their degree. Universities are happy as long as you are paying your tuition and they are meeting their DEI cross-sectional inclusivity quotas. It doesn't matter what one's doctoral thesis is supposed to be, but if a PhD student manages to work into his dissertation " ... and Climate Change acceleration continues to make it worse than previously feared by scientists ..." then the credential is a lock.

Usually, the university pays the tuition,
Not in the case of professionals pursuing a PhD in night school. They don't teach (because they have a day job) and so they don't get the tuition waived and they don't receive a stipend.

Anyway, this is moot. A PhD doesn't tell you anything about what practical knowledge one has, and that's what employers need to know. This is where certifications enter the picture. If you are looking to hire an engineer to design/build and oversee your networks, are your going to hire the guy who has a PhD in something network related or are you going to hire the guy who has Cisco's Architect certification but who didn't list his education on his resume?

A university wants your hard work.
Well, they certainly want your slave labor, and your tuition. Nowhere in there anywhere will you find that they want you to learn anything ... but if you happen to that could be seen as a bonus.

Their incentive is to hold you there making low wages for as long as they can. There is a reason that graduate students are called "slave labor."
We're singing from the same sheet of music.

So in this fantasy world, people are applying for jobs saying they have a PHD, without specifying in what, or from where?
So, on many forums, many people claim to be PhDs when they are not, hoping to intimidate others into simply accepting their arguments without any other support.

Couldn't that also happen with a cert?
Sure. Credentials are meaningless in an online forum; nonetheless, people insist on claiming credentials and often they are lying. The only reason for claiming credentials is to try to bully and/or intimidate an argument into being accepted without having to support it.

I could say, I have a cert in something.
If it a field with which I am familiar, I'll know you are lying in very short order.

In the real world, if you are going to put a PHD on your resume, you are going to give enough details to know what it is, and where it is from.
In the real world, I have to omit/elide many pages of material if my resume is to be viewed by a human because my resume is way too long (search engines perform key word matches). I only present relevant material on my resume.

Anyone can claim to have a cert on JPP too.
Bingo.

The claim that certs are better than PHD's, because anyone can claim to have a PHD just falls apart.
Nope. Reengage the reading comprehension. The claim is that certs are better than a PhD because the cert specifies the body of knowledge that is known proficiently.

PHD's have more details involved,
Telling an employer that you have a PhD tells him very, very little. You might be proficient in the needed functions and you might not.

There are fields where a cert suffices, but many that a cert is nowhere near qualified.
Logical error. A certification is not somehow "lesser" of a qualitification. If a job requires proficiency covered by a particular certification then that particular certification is a higher qualificiation than any college degree.

A cert can only be for relatively simple, limited knowledge.
Once again, you don't know what you are talking about. Just for laughs, what college degree do you imagine is preferred by oil companies for their deep sea welders than the following:

Deep Diving Commercial Diver Certification (DCBC)
American Welding Society Certified Welder (CW)
Underwater Welding Certification
OSHA 30-Hour Construction Safety
First Aid and CPR

I have way too many offers and not enough time, which means I really do not care if you do not want to hire me.
Nonetheless, I still don't see any need for the services you describe.

Back