U.S. Supreme Court Ruling: ATHEISM IS RELIGION

Trump’s comments on Friday came months after he remarked that he would be “a dictator on day one” if given a second four-year term in the White House. He has repeatedly made known his admiration for authoritarian leaders, including Russia’s Vladimir Putin, Hungary’s Viktor Orbán and North Korea’s Kim Jong-un. And a former White House aide reported that Trump once said Adolf Hitler “did some good things”.

Trump’s comments on Friday came months after he remarked that he would be “a dictator on day one” if given a second four-year term in the White House. He has repeatedly made known his admiration for authoritarian leaders, including Russia’s Vladimir Putin, Hungary’s Viktor Orbán and North Korea’s Kim Jong-un. And a former White House aide reported that Trump once said Adolf Hitler “did some good things”.
DON'T TRY TO BLAME DEMOCRAT TYRANNY ON TRUMP!

And one is always free to disagree with a SCOTUS decision. Especially one with such weak reasoning as this particular one. The definition of religion as simply "taking a position" with regards to the supernatural is absurd on its face. It truly does open the door to NOT Stamp Collecting being decreed a hobby.
Now if that were true there wouldn't be Federal Lynching KKK churchstate of hate drug trafficking fiefdom where thieving Christian Nation West Virginia old glory arsonists are granted standing as those thieving Islam old glory arsonists in Washington, D.C. this past week; but Christian Nation SCOTUS Fourth Reich July is still putting on a patriot act.....

Per Merriam-Webster:

Religion
1:
a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices

2: a(1): the service and worship of God or the supernatural
(2): commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance
b: the state of a religious
a nun in her 20th year of religion
3: a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith

4: archaic : scrupulous conformity : conscientiousness

Atheism

a: a lack of belief or a strong disbelief in the existence of a god or any gods

b: a philosophical or religious position characterized by disbelief in the existence of a god or any gods

2 archaic : godlessness especially in conduct : ungodliness, wickedness

Per Merriam-Webster:

Religion
1:
a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices

Atheism

b: a philosophical or religious position characterized by disbelief in the existence of a god or any gods

No dictionary defines any word, idiot.

Religion does NOT require any institution, and does not even require a god or gods.
The Church of No God is a religion. It is not atheism.

The word "atheism" means "anti-theist". It simply means one with out theism (religion). It does not care whether any god or gods may exist or not.
Atheism is not a religion. The Church of No God is a fundamentalist style religion.

The word "religion" is defined by philosophy, not a dictionary.
The word "atheism" is from Latin, first appearing in the English lexicon around 1600.

False authority fallacy. Redefinition fallacy (theism<->atheism).

Per Merriam-Webster:

Religion
1:

Atheism

If you're in Christian Nation SCOTUS Fourth Reich July "what is 9/11 ?" Freudian slip the only glory will be all those thieving Islam old glory arsonists as this past week in Washington, D.C. and all those West Virginia thieving old glory arsonists preyers.....

I'm an atheist.
I'm a secular humanist, I think.
I don't personally believe that I'm afflicted with religion of any kind.

Philosophy of life isn't religion.
Religion is belief in the unverified supernatural.

SCOTUS decisions shouldn't change the meaning of vocabulary.
NiftyNiblick:

By your own admission you're an atheist. In that case, you are automatically in a religion. Atheism is Religion.

Why do those afflicted with religious beliefs use a political forum to proselytize?

Feel free to draw comfort from your beliefs.
That harms nobody.
Just don't bother me with them, please.
Splashing our political beliefs around is provocative enough.

Why do those afflicted with religious beliefs use a political forum to proselytize?

To be fair to them, it isn't just political fora. They will proselytize everywhere. Certainly in the Christian tradition they are given the "Great Commission" to go out and spread the word.

Feel free to draw comfort from your beliefs.
That harms nobody.
Just don't bother me with them, please.

Agreed. Though sometimes it is fun to read.

Waiting a month for a galactically stupid response is just boring. Someone who has to bolster their personal beliefs by claiming another group does the same demonstrates an insecurity about that belief. I’m not here to make someone feel better about their belief by denigrating my lack of that belief. This poster will no longer waste my time.

Someone who has to bolster their personal beliefs by claiming another group does the same demonstrates an insecurity about that belief.

^^^^QFT. When a religious person INSISTS the lack of belief is just another belief kind of show their hand...that even they find "belief without evidence" to be a weaker position.

NiftyNiblick:

By your own admission you're an atheist. In that case, you are automatically in a religion. Atheism is Religion.
Starting from a false premise you can ‘prove’ anything. Your premise is rejected. You are a HORRIBLE advocate.

Starting from a false premise you can ‘prove’ anything. Your premise is rejected. You are a HORRIBLE advocate.
Concart:

You need to tell that to the U.S. Supreme Court and the numerous other courts within the USA that declared Atheism is Religion. Don't bring your complaints to me.

Concart:

You need to tell that to the U.S. Supreme Court and the numerous other courts within the USA that declared Atheism is Religion. Don't bring your complaints to me.

SCOTUS has held atheism falls under the Separation Clause of the Constitution. That, in that special application, atheism is considered to fall under the larger umbrella of religion.

SCOTUS did NOT rule that atheism was a religion. It merely expanded the Separation Clause to include non-religion as well.

Wallace v Jaffree said:
At one time it was thought that this right [referring to the right to choose one's own creed] merely proscribed the preference of one Christian sect over another, but would not require equal respect for the conscience of the infidel, the atheist, or the adherent of a non-Christian faith such as Islam or Judaism.   But when the underlying principle has been examined in the crucible of litigation, the Court has unambiguously concluded that the individual freedom of conscience protected by the First Amendment embraces the right to select any religious faith or none at all.
Wallace v. Jaffree, 472 U.S. 38, 105 S.Ct. 2479, 86 L.Ed.2d 29 (1985)

This is a bit more subtle and not quite exactly what you are saying. Be very careful in misrepresenting legal topics as they are often far more nuanced than you simplistic overreach.

While it may feel "good" to take the position you have taken there are a number of problems with it.

1. It does not appear to be in the "spirit" of what the Courts were actually ruling
2. It appears to hold "faith" to be a lower value epistemic position which means you disrespect your OWN faith by leveraging it thusly (If your "belief" is equavlent and indifferentiable from "non-belief" then what does that say about belief?)

Concart:

I I don’t care. You can believe I am a zebra if that makes you feel better. If I accept your false premise as true, the question then would be, so what? Have a point.

Back