unbanned collectors.....

my whole house is furniture I bought and refinished or fixed from junk stores and yard sales over the years

beautiful wood

some I didn't even have to fix up

people always ask me where I got all the antiques

I love answering Good Will

more millers
63-Peltier-NLRs.-Note-the-large-Liberty-Golden-Rebel-Superman-and-Rebel.jpg

JD, the one in the upper right is called a "Green Dragon".....

What is the rarest marble you own?

Can you show a picture of it?

I also used to collect hot wheel cars as a kid Had a pretty extensive collection until someone burglarized us.

Was totally bummed for weeks.

What is the rarest marble you own?

Can you show a picture of it?

rarest may not be the most valuable......I have a stone marble that dates back to the civil war era......if it weren't for a series of faint parallel lines you might mistake it for canister shot from a cannon......
the most valuable marbles I own are probably my oxbloods.......

only one man knew the formula to make the oxblood color and he died without telling anyone how he did it......if you examine the red under a microscope it is actually made up of hundreds of parallel lines of black and red......they are probably worth around $150 each....

cache_3620286304.jpg

the most valuable marble, (which I do not own) is probably a handmade called a guinea (after the hen)......they will go for $600+ and even a fragment of a broken one can go for a hundred....

0512-morphy-marbles-768.jpg

back in the 80s a marble sold at an auction for $8000......it was accompanied by a letter from a man who worked in a marble factory to his niece and enclosed a marble which he said was the first of a new production run of a brand new type of marble and he had saved it for her.....she still had the marble and the letter.....

Marbles are awesome. Unfortunately I came along when they were a dime a dozen. But seeing your pictures, I can appreciate how collectors would want them. Heck, I even remember picking out the best looking dime a dozen ones from the riff raff.

Cool thread PMP.

I had a client come into my office one day with some marbles......wanted to know if I would make an offer for them.....an antique dealer had offered the family $500......they were marbles that an aunt (in her 80s) had gotten from HER aunt when she was a little girl and she had never played with them. They had sat in an attic for 70 years......I said "I can't afford your marbles"......I agreed to sell them on ebay for the family and they paid me a 5% commission.......worked on it for about a year, selling a few at a time.......after we had sold about $24,000 worth they decided to wait until the market got stronger.....we had pretty much saturated the market by that time......they had about half of them left......all types of handmade marbles, in matching sets of same cane marbles.....

I had a client come into my office one day with some marbles......wanted to know if I would make an offer for them.....an antique dealer had offered the family $500......they were marbles that an aunt (in her 80s) had gotten from HER aunt when she was a little girl and she had never played with them. They had sat in an attic for 70 years......I said "I can't afford your marbles"......I agreed to sell them on ebay for the family and they paid me a 5% commission.......worked on it for about a year, selling a few at a time.......after we had sold about $24,000 worth they decided to wait until the market got stronger.....we had pretty much saturated the market by that time......they had about half of them left......all types of handmade marbles, in matching sets of same cane marbles.....

That is awesome. With this act you give lawyers a good name, especially with only 5 percent. Then again, not technically legal work, but still more than fair.

I may have revise my opinion about you :D

every one is familiar with corkscrew marbles, but did you know that every corkscrew was make by the Akro Marble Company, because they were the only ones who figured out how to make them?.....

images

36cc19afe5d20aeb2ee79e460352c029--marble-jar-glass-marbles.jpg

Attachments

• 36cc19afe5d20aeb2ee79e460352c029--marble-jar-glass-marbles.jpg
    36cc19afe5d20aeb2ee79e460352c029--marble-jar-glass-marbles.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 1
rarest may not be the most valuable......I have a stone marble that dates back to the civil war era......if it weren't for a series of faint parallel lines you might mistake it for canister shot from a cannon......
the most valuable marbles I own are probably my oxbloods.......

only one man knew the formula to make the oxblood color and he died without telling anyone how he did it......if you examine the red under a microscope it is actually made up of hundreds of parallel lines of black and red......they are probably worth around $150 each....

cache_3620286304.jpg

the most valuable marble, (which I do not own) is probably a handmade called a guinea (after the hen)......they will go for $600+ and even a fragment of a broken one can go for a hundred....

0512-morphy-marbles-768.jpg

Pretty freaking cool.

Back