Was dropping the Bomb on Japan racist?

Was dropping the A-bomb on Japan racist?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I agree it was barbaric.

On the flip side, civilians were intentionally being killed by both the Axis powers and the allies since 1940. Sometimes, in huge numbers

It is open to debate if the Japanese were ready to surrender.

But surrender was only part of what we needed to accomplish.

We needed Japan to submit to outright military occupation, and the forcible dismantling of their government, prosecution of their leadership for war crimes, and to have a democratic government with a pacifist constitution forced on them.

That type of occupation and coercion was really the only solution to put an end to the Japanese warrior ethos and a militaristic nation which had spent decades attacking and occupying its neighbors.

Whatever his faults were, Truman recognized this vision as the ultimate solution to a militaristic and belligerent Japan. And 70 years of history since 1945 has proven this vision to be prescient.
The Japanese feared a Russian invasion. We could have negotiated a surrender using these fears. Japan’s army was beaten and could not sustain the fight against American and Russian forces.

The use of nuclear weapons were not necessary.

The people of japan were cult members

They had vowed to die one and all to die killing Americans

It was the worlds tuffest call

Japan was physically isolated

One could bomb that nation without another nation being effected as far as we knew at the time

In bombing instead of marching in we saved American lives and Japanese lives

A ground attack would have been all over japan and many more men, women and children would have had to be killed (cult)

Most Japanese people survived the bomb

It proved in days to the Japanese people that their emperor was not GOD

IT WAS CULT, they thought he was god

tenor.gif

tenor.gif

The people of japan were cult members

They had vowed to die one and all to die killing Americans

It was the worlds tuffest call

Japan was physically isolated

One could bomb that nation without another nation being effected as far as we knew at the time

In bombing instead of marching in we saved American lives and Japanese lives

A ground attack would have been all over japan and many more men, women and children would have had to be killed (cult)

Most Japanese people survived the bomb

It proved in days to the Japanese people that their emperor was not GOD

IT WAS CULT, they thought he was god

I will forever defend Truman for that decision

His choices to pick from were BOTH bad

He as a leader made the choice

He made the correct one
Sorry, I don’t agree, it was barbaric and unnecessary.

The Japanese feared a Russian invasion. We could have negotiated a surrender using these fears. Japan’s army was beaten and could not sustain the fight against American and Russian forces.

If you had read your history, the Japanese refused unconditional surrender. You don't negotiate with terrorist rogue nations. You defeat them.

tenor.gif

The Japanese people said clearly they would fight to the death of every man woman and child

It was a cult

With the bomb it was proven to all the people he was NOT GOD

THEY WOULD HAVE NEVER SURRENDERED

We dropped two A-bombs on Japan instead of invading the home islands. Was this just war or racism?

Just war. Over a million lives were saved and hundreds of thousands of American servicemen breathed a sigh of relief after the announcement.

The Japanese people said clearly they would fight to the death of every man woman and child

It was a cult

With the bomb it was proven to all the people he was NOT GOD

THEY WOULD HAVE NEVER SURRENDERED
That’s a myth

I believe it was barbaric. The Japanese army was defeated. It was not necessary to kill innocent citizens.

Disagreed. Americans died at a rate of over 300 day in less than 4.5 years of war. America alone suffered 450,700 deaths. Worldwide, the death count was 85 million. The Japanese were not going to give up as long as they thought they had a chance of defeating invaders. The new "superweapon" convinced them not a single invader would die while the island of Honshu was reduced to cinders.

There are several great books about the conflict with Japan. My favorite is "With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa" by E.B. Sledge, but there are others.

I lived in Japan for a year and have worked with the Japanese Ground Self-Defense Force. They are still great warriors. They literally would have rather died than surrendered and would have taken as many Americans with them as possible. The Marine Corps learned a lot from Japanese Bushido. The only way to defeat them is with overwhelming force. Not just the soldiers, but the vast majority of civilians. Nuking Japan was a solid and fully justified military decision.

FWIW, I've been to Hiroshima. It's a short train ride over the mountains from MCAS Iwakuni where I spent the month of December 1983. Visited the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum (it was whiny IMO). Rang one of the "peace bells". No, I didn't wear my "Nuke'em 'til they glow" t-shirt. I was actually civil. :)

Disagreed. Americans died at a rate of over 300 day in less than 4.5 years of war. America alone suffered 450,700 deaths. Worldwide, the death count was 85 million. The Japanese were not going to give up as long as they thought they had a chance of defeating invaders. The new "superweapon" convinced them not a single invader would die while the island of Honshu was reduced to cinders.

There are several great books about the conflict with Japan. My favorite is "With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa" by E.B. Sledge, but there are others.

I lived in Japan for a year and have worked with the Japanese Ground Self-Defense Force. They are still great warriors. They literally would have rather died than surrendered and would have taken as many Americans with them as possible. The Marine Corps learned a lot from Japanese Bushido. The only way to defeat them is with overwhelming force. Not just the soldiers, but the vast majority of civilians. Nuking Japan was a solid and fully justified military decision.

FWIW, I've been to Hiroshima. It's a short train ride over the mountains from MCAS Iwakuni where I spent the month of December 1983. Visited the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum (it was whiny IMO). Rang one of the "peace bells". No, I didn't wear my "Nuke'em 'til they glow" t-shirt. I was actually civil. :)
We agree to disagree. I will never be convinced it was necessary. I have always believed it was barbaric.

Back