We can all agree on 1 thing!

To me personally, dropping bombs always kills civilians and there is just no excuse for it. You can maybe find an instance where it would be justifiable to me, but none that I can think of. I am not a pacifist, but I'd want to see ships on the shore before war. I can support a true humanitarian intervention but don't really know of any recently. Humanitarian intervention would never include airstrikes.

And then, in this case, logically, this is a civil war. How the eff would you like it if France had dropped bombs on Massachusetts during our civil war? This is going to be a huge mess, runs the risk of turning into a proxy war (IF it isn't starting that way, I don't think we know), runs the risk of spreading, runs the high risk of further destabilizing both the country and the region...

One final question I have is; why is it we always have money to bomb people? We just cut a shit load of programs during the sequester that have had the real life effect of causing pain and suffering to real people. But we can always afford to drop bombs - all of which will be replaced! We always have plenty of bucks to pay to the war pigs running this country and manufacturing these weapons don't we? And there is always some urgent reason for it isnt' there?

It's horseshit.

civilians don't live on missle sites

Liberal Veterans Group Opposes Action in Syria

WASHINGTON — VoteVets, a liberal group of veterans, largely from the war in Iraq, came out Wednesday against a military strike on Syria, adding a voice from the left that could undermine support for President Obama among House Democrats.

The group was a mainstay in the Democrats’ antiwar campaigns during the administration of George W. Bush. Its leader, Jon Soltz, an Iraq War veteran, became a fixture on Capitol Hill with his military bearing and caustic, anti-Bush rhetoric.

more
http://projects.nytimes.com/live-dashboard/syria#sha=0e8fd8ac5

Progressive Change Campaign Committee Urges Congress To Vote 'No' On Syria

WASHINGTON -- A major progressive political action committee on Wednesday urged Democratic members of Congress to vote against any resolution authorizing airstrikes on Syria.

The nearly one million-member Progressive Change Campaign Committee circulated a memo to Democrats in the House and Senate spelling out its objections to the use of military force against Syrian President Bashar Assad, adding that PCCC members will make "thousands of calls to Congress and will make participate in local events" in the coming days to pressure lawmakers to oppose military action.

more
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/04/progressives-syria_n_3866286.html

I attended three anti-war marches. The polls showed a majority of the country supported going into Iraq.

You attended them hoping to get laid, if I recall? don't act like you are some anti-war hippie now Cawacko! You weren't marching, and you supported that war, am I wrong? One of us must have a brain tumor, who is it?

Exactly. Both you & Desh pointed this out - after months of being lied to, the people may have supported the war; I'll trust Cawacko's recollection on that. And Bush linked (totally incorrectly) Iraq to an attack on the US, which would cause people to be more supportive. Sadly, a lot of people didn't understand Iraq didn't attack us. (This is the kind of thing that makes me say "democracy" shouldn't decide whether or not we attack another country - because quite frankly people are capable of being morons.)

Pres Obama has only had a week or so to garner support for the missile strike due to chemical weapons. We'll see what happens as more information is revealed.

I'm still not sure myself what is best to do. But chemical weapons are pretty horrible. But we have to make sure anything we do doesn't expand our involvement beyond that.
appreciate the sentiment, but doing anything inevitably leads to doing something else.......

we ARE (CIA) beginning to train up rebel forces in Jordan, and inserting them into Syria

First Syria rebels armed and trained by CIA 'on way to battlefield'
The first cell of Syrian rebels trained and armed by the CIA is making its way to the battlefield, President Barack Obama has reportedly told senators.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...and-trained-by-CIA-on-way-to-battlefield.html

you've heard the references to Iran, I started a thread on it - this is a PROXY war with Iran, thru Hezbollah.

So this is just another ESCALATION in the proxy war. we are in it already.

Enough. cut it out, we are playing around with dangerous characters, and we cannot control outcomes.
A bad place to be

You attended them hoping to get laid, if I recall? don't act like you are some anti-war hippie now Cawacko! You weren't marching, and you supported that war, am I wrong? One of us must have a brain tumor, who is it?

Hahaha. You remember correctly. They were held within 10 minutes of where I lived so I went to check them out. I may have actually been dating someone at the time but even with my unrealistic expectations I knew I wasn't getting any type of action as a Bush voter who supported the invasion at an anti-war rally.

dung what will they be bombing?

Did NATO kill civilians in Libya?

Of course they did .. lots of them.

Is Obama killing innocent civilians in Pakistan and Somalia right now?

Of course he is .. lots of them.

Are you sure that you're concerned about civilians .. because you don't have anything to say about them when Obama murders them.

Hahaha. You remember correctly. They were held within 10 minutes of where I lived so I went to check them out. I may have actually been dating someone at the time but even with my unrealistic expectations I knew I wasn't getting any type of action as a Bush voter who supported the invasion at an anti-war rally.

I knew it, I remembered your telling me you were hoping to get lucky with some hot hippie girl. LOL

dung what will they be bombing?

Anything movable and of military value will be placed within close proximity to civilians. Assad is not an idiot. And one of the things about bombs and missile is that they blow shit up indiscriminately. Civilians will die, desh. And there's nothing to be done to prevent it. Yes, we can minimize civilian casualties, but we can't eliminate them.

I'd have a bit more respect for your support for military action if you at least acknowledged this reality.

I did

so I have never been ANTI in the sense that you are.

war is not always avoidable in the real world.

this is not a war

Then you are much closer to the right-wing than I am.

war-is-a-racket-general-smedley-butler-USMC.gif

Back