Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Jews (for Asshat)

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Watermark

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Grind

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters
It seems to shimmer much better too. The way light reflects off of it makes it very noticeable.

agreed. I think she's going to like it a lot. I would. I want a similar set actually, except I'd prefer to have side diamonds.

I hate poverty, wasted opportunity, the lack of free health-care, the widening separation of rich and poor, the fact that children die as we waste food and money and argue over some stupid morality that amounts to social Darwinism.

off my soapbox

Ah to return to the HIPPIE days, I miss them.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/gate/archive/2007/05/02/notes050207.DTL&nl=fix

The Hippies Were Right!

Green homes? Organic food? Nature is good? Time to give the ol' tie-dyers some respect

By Mark Morford

"Go ahead, name your movement. Name something good and positive and pro-environment and eco-friendly that's happening right now in the newly "greening" America and don't say more guns in Texas or fewer reproductive choices for women or endless vile unwinnable BushCo wars in the Middle East lasting until roughly 2075 because that would defeat the whole point of this perky little column and destroy its naive tone of happy rose-colored sardonic optimism. OK?

I'm talking about, say, energy-efficient light bulbs. I'm looking at organic foods going mainstream. I mean chemical-free cleaning products widely available at Target and I'm talking saving the whales and protecting the dolphins and I mean yoga studios flourishing in every small town, giant boxes of organic cereal at Costco and non-phthalates dildos at Good Vibes and the Toyota Prius becoming the nation's oddest status symbol. You know, good things."

http://www.counterpunch.org/neville06022007.html

"Were the hippies right?"

"It is tempting to think so in this age of ecocide and terror. "Remember when we used to hang out and talk to each other", said a barely remembered friend as our paths merged at airport security. In Bali in '71 she had been Queen of Kuta beach. Both of us are time bankrupts now, like thousands of others who once scoffed at 'the system' and tweaked their lifestyles to the phases of the moon, contemplating Herman Hesse and organic fruit, trailing clouds of pot. We stretched to excess the concept of a misspent youth.

The world moved on and so did we, eventually. Parenthood, credit cards, mortgages, the whole shebang. The despised shopping mall was suddenly convenient. Disposable nappies a godsend. The CD/cupholder equipped Subaru never broke down. Our rage against the consumer society softened to a lullaby. Sure, we still supported Adbusters, Greenpeace and the right to strike, but the society of the spectacle seeped into everyday life and the dream of getting rich quick no longer seemed crass. Anyway, you needed the bread to pay the fares to fly to the conferences to learn how the world was endangered by toxic emissions, made worse by flights to conferences."

Hey Darla, this writer for the Chronicle which is the paper I grew up reading. See, they really do mention the term hippies quite a bit in the Bay Area. :)

Yeah, there is no real perfect system. I wish we could live in a Utopia but everyone has different needs and different ideas of what is best. I love my employer provided healthcare but haven't used it once yet. Only used my dental. But either way, had I been able to adopt her I would be visiting doctors frequently keeping her healthy. A little one at her age hasn't built up an immune system yet to fight of infections and illnesses. I'm pretty healthy so I only need it for emergency situations. Universal Healthcare would make it so she is covered, but how much would it effect the whole medical industry is my biggest question. I feel its inevitable, there will be Universal Healthcare, and we need to pick the best plan possible that provides the most coverage, at the least cost, without a major cost to the medical industry.

Good on you.

Our system is crazy. You do what you have to do. I have a friend who ended up marrying this girlfriend he had, because she got breast cancer, and worked at an $8 an hour job with no benefits. There wouldn't be a single insurance comany out there, that would have accepted her as a policy holder because of pre-exisiting conditions. So, he married her and put her on the company health plan.

Its crazy. The system shouldn't be like that. But, it is.

Only person I hate... is a deadbeat dad oweing over $10000 in child support, no driver's license, two warrants for his arrest (preventing him from his visitation rights), no job, no ambition to get a job,and won't allow me to adopt the child because of his ego. I can't even legally take care of her medically because I have no rights to her. Only the mother can, yet I am with the child more than anyone. His own mother has gave up on him at this point because she cares for her grand-daughter and he is nothing but a lying sack of dog-shit just counting his days before his next experience behind bars.

I am right there with you, but I hate the courts judge as well.... my ex-brother in law is over $30k behind in support, has had three DUIs in the past 5 years (one with one of my nieces in the vehicle)... lives with his mom (he is 38).... has another kid with another woman that he also doesn't pay child support for... he refiled for primary custody (my sister lives in another state)... my sister lives in Chicago, makes 5 times what he does, has always been the one to take care of the girls, had custody for the fist 6 years after the divorce... and the judge in the re-opened case awards custody too......

you guessed it.... the piece of shit dad that can't support his kids, lives with his mom and endangers the kids lives. WTF????

I am right there with you, but I hate the courts judge as well.... my ex-brother in law is over $30k behind in support, has had three DUIs in the past 5 years (one with one of my nieces in the vehicle)... lives with his mom (he is 38).... has another kid with another woman that he also doesn't pay child support for... he refiled for primary custody (my sister lives in another state)... my sister lives in Chicago, makes 5 times what he does, has always been the one to take care of the girls, had custody for the fist 6 years after the divorce... and the judge in the re-opened case awards custody too......

you guessed it.... the piece of shit dad that can't support his kids, lives with his mom and endangers the kids lives. WTF????

Yeah, that crap happens a lot too. This guy thought he was going to get custody too by the end of this year because the judge is friends with his dad. Needless to say, his Dad is just as much of a trouble making liar and that's where you can say the apple didn't fall too far. His dad actually owned a popular downtown resteraunt, didn't pay his taxes or his rent for equipment and got evicted, then tryed to re-open with a partner at another location, but his partner would be majority owner. His partner disbanded him and is running the place on his own now because of the trouble he caused. We are filing a motion to move the visitation hearings to the county we are in now so there is no chance of him trying to cheat with the system. The Prosecutor gave us the advice to do that because we only resided in Stark County for two-months after the first hearing and we've lived in Medina county for 10 months now. She didn't file for Child Support until about 6 months ago and they made him pay all the way back. We like Medina's system and Stark's system seems to be corrupted.

Sounds like a good way to pick up girls.

Troll the hospital streets.

"Hey, you got cancer? I got company health..."

LMAO!

My brother married a girl with CF...so now that I think about it, just makes me laugh cause in our situations you could see it that way.

Back