What are you currently drinking?

3101.jpg

On the rocks with a dash of lemon juice and a joint!

I'm questioning the lemon juice a bit.

What about a lime?

Just bought a fresh gallon of the best corn liquor in the South. A good friend makes it, purely as a hobby, of course. He is somewhat of an artisan, using the finest of ingredients, paying attention to the most minute details of the process. This stuff isn't harsh like most 'shine, it's as smooth as silk, with a nice corn 'sweetness' to it... better than anything you can buy in the liquor store!

Just bought a fresh gallon of the best corn liquor in the South. A good friend makes it, purely as a hobby, of course. He is somewhat of an artisan, using the finest of ingredients, paying attention to the most minute details of the process. This stuff isn't harsh like most 'shine, it's as smooth as silk, with a nice corn 'sweetness' to it... better than anything you can buy in the liquor store!

Man, never had the nectar of the south. What would you say its most akin to? Gun, bourbon....? Nothing like that?

Man, never had the nectar of the south. What would you say its most akin to? Gun, bourbon....? Nothing like that?

Most of the shine I've had is very harsh, like a super-strong vodka... this is very smooth and easy to sip straight, reminds me of really good rum...yeah, corn-rum! lol He said he makes it about 90 proof, he could make it up to 160 or so, but he said you can't drink it and enjoy it. It is the best I've ever had, I was mixing it at first, and a had a straight pull with a friend and was like, damn... that's good! So now, I started just drinking it on the rocks, and it's blowing my mind how good it is.

Most of the shine I've had is very harsh, like a super-strong vodka... this is very smooth and easy to sip straight, reminds me of really good rum...yeah, corn-rum! lol He said he makes it about 90 proof, he could make it up to 160 or so, but he said you can't drink it and enjoy it. It is the best I've ever had, I was mixing it at first, and a had a straight pull with a friend and was like, damn... that's good! So now, I started just drinking it on the rocks, and it's blowing my mind how good it is.

Dixie;

If you make it right and you use some of the previous batch during fermentation, shine is really a sour mash recipe. Let a bottle sit and after some time (3 to 6 months) it will start changing color to an amber color. I'd say if it's that smooth out of the still then your friend is probably double or triple distiling it. That's costly but makes a vastly superior product.

Dixie;

If you make it right and you use some of the previous batch during fermentation, shine is really a sour mash recipe. Let a bottle sit and after some time (3 to 6 months) it will start changing color to an amber color. I'd say if it's that smooth out of the still then your friend is probably double or triple distiling it. That's costly but makes a vastly superior product.

I've not noticed an amber color, but I put some water in a jar and held them both up to the light, and you could tell the difference... the shine looks more sparkling... alive... it has a distinct glisten the water doesn't have. And yes, I think he did say he triple distilled.

I've not noticed an amber color, but I put some water in a jar and held them both up to the light, and you could tell the difference... the shine looks more sparkling... alive... it has a distinct glisten the water doesn't have. And yes, I think he did say he triple distilled.

Yea triple distilling it will make a heck of a difference. You have to blend it with some good water to get the alcohol content down but it will be smoooooth. If you let a bottle of that sit for about 6 months you will notice that it will start to turn a light amber color. If you shake the jar of water and the jar of shine and and look at the beads of foam that form on top, you'll notice that the water forms very small beads that dissapear rapidly, where as the beads of shine will be larger and last longer, depending on the ratio of alcohol to water. This was how Moonshiners would "proof" the whiskey. They were remarkably accurate at estimating the alcohol content of their product using this method.

When I was 16, or so,,, I had a friend that came over with some shine. To one of my other friends house late at night.

It wasn't long before he started thowing up in the front yard.

The next morning, all the grass was dead where he was thowing up. Totally dead. Brown.

It didn't grow back for quite some time.:clink:

Who knows? You could really ask that question to any guy who's been married longer than 6 months.

Goddammit!! I offer up a joke revolving around piss and moonshine, and you come out with another married, middle-aged man joke?!!? You, sir, are the bastard stepson of Buzz Killington, Esq!!!

Back