what do you use for cleaning a glass weed pipe if not alcohiol?

dukkha

Verified User
I've a nice big old glass pipe I use - it's cruddy with tar from weed .
Mos of the time I just soaked it in Isopropyl. all the brown goo comes off the glass.

But I'm out of isopropyl and my now it's a sticky mess - what else works?

One thing you can do is put the pipe in water in a microwave-safe bowl, and then put it in the microwave for about 5 minutes, just enough for the water to start bubbling. Most of the resin should fall off during that process, but you should be able to scrape it out fairly easily too. Those resin scrapings can even be set out to dry on a piece of parchment paper, and you can smoke it.

One thing you can do is put the pipe in water in a microwave-safe bowl, and then put it in the microwave for about 5 minutes, just enough for the water to start bubbling. Most of the resin should fall off during that process, but you should be able to scrape it out fairly easily too. Those resin scrapings can even be set out to dry on a piece of parchment paper, and you can smoke it.
i was looking online -that sems to be the other method. they suggest boiling it longer. I usually wont scrape with a hard object -i find a lot of ball point pen tops clean/ream out the hole at the bottom of the bowel (the plastic flexes) you gotta be careful not to crak the glass

i was looking online -that sems to be the other method. they suggest boiling it longer. I usually wont scrape with a hard object -i find a lot of ball point pen tops clean/ream out the hole at the bottom of the bowel (the plastic flexes) you gotta be careful not to crak the glass

Right! And also don't run it under cold water after boiling it because the glass will shatter. I like to scrape the resin out with tweezers to keep for a rainy day, but several folks I know use the ballpoint pen method too. I haven't used a glass piece i years, though...am very partial to The Mighty, which is a convection vaporizer from Bickel. It's a bit pricey ($300), but totally worth it.

Right! And also don't run it under cold water after boiling it because the glass will shatter. I like to scrape the resin out with tweezers to keep for a rainy day, but several folks I know use the ballpoint pen method too. I haven't used a glass piece i years, though...am very partial to The Mighty, which is a convection vaporizer from Bickel. It's a bit pricey ($300), but totally worth it.
I smoke only a little at night
doesn't really pay to buy anythng else + I've had this thing since back in Reagan's time.
I bought it at a DC head shop and somehow it's survived the years..the resin is nasty but good when you are out

I smoke only a little at night
doesn't really pay to buy anythng else + I've had this thing since back in Reagan's time.
I bought it at a DC head shop and somehow it's survived the years..the resin is nasty but good when you are out

I just sent you an email to your regular email account. (not the message accounts here or at LO):cool:

Mos of the time I just soaked it in Isopropyl. all the brown goo comes off the glass.

The hand sanitizer I was promised was sold off before I arrived, so I had to think of a new solution.* I bought Everclear grain alcohol.* It is kind of expensive to use it as hand sanitizer, until I saw the prices they are charging for hand sanitizer.* It is cheaper (these days) to buy Everclear.

Prices of alcohol vary greatly from state to state, and some states ban high alcohol content grain alcohol, but in most states you can get 190 or 189 proof alcohol which equates to 95%.* That should work just as well as the isopropyl alcohol you were using.

WARNING⚠️⚠️⚠️. Do not mix consumption alcohol and marijuana. * Marijuana is not dangerous by itself, but does reduce sickness from alcohol.* That might mean you drink too much alcohol, do not throw it up, and die from alcohol poisoning.* Either use one or the other at any time.

I do not use marijuana for legal reasons, and barely use alcohol (sometimes one beer, and rarely two beers).* If I had to chose one on health grounds, it would be marijuana.* Alcohol can be quite dangerous.

what about vinegar and water? its glass correct and like vases with mold in them from flowers left in too long. same principle. It is the light acidity that does it. Or those glass coffee pots where the water evaporated scenario.

Any polar aliphatic low flash solvent will work. Acetone first example. Just make sure you completely let the solvent evaporate then rinse with water and let dry. Do not use any chlorinated or aromatic solvents like toluene.

If you have some vodka that should work. Denatured alcohol or methanol will work too but again, let the residual solvent evaporate and rinse with lots of water.

That depends on the type of glass. If it’s made of Pyrex or borosilicate glass it shouldn’t break.

what about vinegar and water? its glass correct and like vases with mold in them from flowers left in too long. same principle. It is the light acidity that does it. Or those glass coffee pots where the water evaporated scenario.

That works well for inorganic scale but the acetic acid in vinegar is to dilute for thick tar or resin...unless you boil it.

I figured you for a
Doper. No wonder you live in your mother's basement.

serious question......if you normally use alchohol but are out of alchohol, why not go to the store and buy more alchohol?......

Back