What is Christmas Dinner?

City ham, cornbread dressing with chicken, green bean casserole, sweet potato casserole, mashed taters, red eye gravy, cranberry salad, whippoorwill peas … Pecan pie (pronounced puh-kahn), mincemeat pie, coconut meringue pie, pumpkin bread … all to be served with plenty of calf slobber in a can.

Speaking of calf slobber in a can, do you like that Pink Surprise stuff? I don't know what's all in it besides calf slobber, but it's pretty dang good!

Almost as good as Fantasia Fruit Salad!

just try the the high heat and then turn off the oven method... everything stays nicely rare... except for the outside...

Convection ovens are best for Prime Rib Roasts. AND REMEMBER- IT'S NOT SAFE IF IT DON'T REACH 160 degrees on the meat thermometer! Vampires beware! :laugh:

I've also used cooking bags with Prime Rib, when I was using a conventional oven, and they turned out great!

Speaking of calf slobber in a can, do you like that Pink Surprise stuff? I don't know what's all in it besides calf slobber, but it's pretty dang good!

Almost as good as Fantasia Fruit Salad!

Yes I do! That’s a Decoration Day dish here. My cousin’s wife brings it.

Christmas Eve dinner … the night we exchange gifts with extended family: Indian tacos (I doubt my Choctaw ancestors ever had such a thing but that’s what we call taco meat, lettuce, tomato, onion and salsa with cheese, Jalapeños and sour cream on fry bread), chips and dip, with various and sundry desserts to follow. Larrupin’ good.

Convection ovens are best for Prime Rib Roasts. AND REMEMBER- IT'S NOT SAFE IF IT DON'T REACH 160 degrees on the meat thermometer! Vampires beware! :laugh:

I've also used cooking bags with Prime Rib, when I was using a conventional oven, and they turned out great!
Thanks for your "tip"... I guess some prefer very well done but we prefer rare or at the very most medium rare... I will keep that temperature in mind when it comes to chicken or turkey though;) and I'll give convection a try sometime but my tried and true method has worked every time so for now.... no bags...:nono::nono::nono:

Do you mean ambrosia salad?

It's a Fruit Salad made with candied cherries, pecans, mandarin oranges, coconut, and whipped cream as the main ingredients.

There are probably lots of variants.

I made an exotic fruit salad for Christmas this year, and can you believe I spent $50 bucks before it was done? :laugh:

Ya........WIFE told me that she bought a second one for the freezer......next time.

Yep ...try that... works perfectly every time... I think I'm going to try to get two on my next order as well... they're too hard to get and they are not going to get any cheaper...lol

just try the the high heat and then turn off the oven method... everything stays nicely rare... except for the outside...

That's nasty. Best method is low and slow, with an embedded meat thermometer. If you like rare to medium rare, take it out when the internal temp hits 130F.

I told you the other day to PM me for recipes. ;)

It's a Fruit Salad made with candied cherries, pecans, mandarin oranges, coconut, and whipped cream as the main ingredients.

There are probably lots of variants.

I made an exotic fruit salad for Christmas this year, and can you believe I spent $50 bucks before it was done? :laugh:

Yes indeed... we call one of those "variants " ambrosia...oh I believe it..... everything is pretty pricey these days...

Christmas Eve dinner … the night we exchange gifts with extended family: Indian tacos (I doubt my Choctaw ancestors ever had such a thing but that’s what we call taco meat, lettuce, tomato, onion and salsa with cheese, Jalapeños and sour cream on fry bread), chips and dip, with various and sundry desserts to follow. Larrupin’ good.

Happiest of holidays to you and yours, and a belated Merry Christmas too.

Yep ...try that... works perfectly every time... I think I'm going to try to get two on my next order as well... they're too hard to get and they are not going to get any cheaper...lol

My brain is programed low and slow from back in the day when we did wholes, sometimes cap on, in restaurants. One place we put them in warmers and cooked them for something like 14 hours.....which surely is illegal now.

I cooked this chunk at 350.....good but not perfect.

My brain is programed low and slow from back in the day when we did wholes, sometimes cap on, in restaurants. One place we put them in warmers and cooked them for something like 14 hours.....which surely is illegal now.

I cooked this chunk at 350.....good but not perfect.

We do what we're comfortable with and what works for us.... I would never do a 4 or 5 bone prime rib low and slow.... and that's what I always get... we like rare...we get rare...it works for us... like I said every single time and I'm not fixing it if it's not broke...lol... that's why I'm so picky about the ones that I buy... I know what I want... but if someone wants to give me a whole prime rib I'll cook it anyway they want...lol

We do what we're comfortable with and what works for us.... I would never do a 4 or 5 bone prime rib low and slow.... and that's what I always get... we like rare...we get rare...it works for us... like I said every single time and I'm not fixing it if it's not broke...lol... that's why I'm so picky about the ones that I buy... I know what I want... but if someone wants to give me a whole prime rib I'll cook it anyway they want...lol

Translation, I shared a can of Alpo with the flea bitten dogs

I don't get the connection between southern food and New Year's. Pizza makes more sense to me.

A day late but the baked oysters with Duroc bacon and Gruyère is good. Seems like oysters and Prime Rib was a classic combo long ago.

Back