• It's a Long Way to the Top - AC/DC

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Helter Skelter - The Beatles

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think you're being to technical Professor.

Indeed the hair bands were a barrel of fun. That is, until it got totally cheesed out with f*ckers like Winger and Poison and other cheese metal bands.

I can't believe I left Motley Crue off my list of awesome 80s bands. Fuck. Crue ruled, man. I'd rather crank Crue, than most of thos bell-bottom wearing 70's "rockers". I leave REO Speedwagon and Styx to Topspin. He probably digs those 8-track fossils.
You also forgot GNR and Skidrow. And Styx is fucking awesome.

are you kidding? Bowie was freaking awesome.

Actually, I've really been digging Fleetwood Mac in the last few years. Stevie Nicks has some golden pipes
Yes, but we were talking 80s music... I also love Fleetwood Mac... while they did release two albums in the 80s, the reality is the bulk of their work was late 60s and the 70s...

are you kidding? Bowie was freaking awesome.

Actually, I've really been digging Fleetwood Mac in the last few years. Stevie Nicks has some golden pipes

bowie is ok on a few songs, unique vocals, visuals, looks....fleetwood mac....good lord, and you're older than i am....they are great! do you live by some coastal ozarks or something?

i don't care what you mamby pamby bitches say about this song, but this song rocks, especially when you're a FRESHMAN when the song came out

the verve pipe....freshman

You also forgot GNR and Skidrow.

Not even dude. I gave the hat tip to Guns and Poseurs. They blow the doors off of virtually every 70s rock band. I've been cranking welcome to the jungle on a weekly basis for over 20 years, and that crap sounds as good today as when it first came out. The same can't be said of most Zep tunes. Who ain't sick of Stairway or Black Dog? Zep gets a might hat tip from me, but some of their crap just hasn't held my interest.

Ha, remember Tesla? Another fine addition to the hair band scene. I used to see them in little dive bars in Sacramento when they were losers. We used to laugh in their face at their spandex and massively hair-sprayed helmet heads. Good times!

bowie is ok on a few songs, unique vocals, visuals, looks....fleetwood mac....good lord, and you're older than i am....they are great! do you live by some coastal ozarks or something?

Nah, I always kinda-sorta dug the Mac. I just never focused on them. But, man I've just been realizing in the last few years that Stevie Nicks had the most awesome pipes in rock history. Outstanding!

Tesla was good, but you never hear about them much unless you talk to old school hair band fanatics like myself. Which is weird since most of the hair bands had already peaked when I was born.

Tesla was good, but you never hear about them much unless you talk to old school hair band fanatics like myself. Which is weird since most of the hair bands had already peaked when I was born.
Man, hair bands were all the rage when I was a teen. Ozzy was awesome, and much of his stuff was 80s.

I listened to Tesla, Twisted Sister (yeah, them), Mottley Crue, Mucky Pup (not a hair band), Suicidal Tendencies (also not a hair band), Pink Floyd, Sabbath, WASP, Quiet Riot (yeah, I know), Fleetwood Mac, Led Zeppelin... All while they were still holding concerts on a regular basis. GNR were awesome, too bad they only held it together for three albums, they seemed to get better with each new album. The one band that I thought was very good back then that hasn't been mentioned was the Black Crowes... Good stuff, man, and they reminded me of a modern Zeppelin.

I missed Bowie though... I thought (because of looks and peer pressure) that he would suck, I was wrong. If you want a good band with a huge following (kinda pop country) I like the Eagles nowadays.

Hey one of the benefits of age is you can tell who Rocks and who walks. Bein an indie aint got shit to do with it. There's always been great indies. Where do you think "The Band" and "The Eagles" came from?

So if you got something tasty to show us, lay it on bro. If you don't, then shut up and vote.

The indie style is different than labelless bands.

As for the poll, Sabbath and Zepplin cannot be called rock. They're original heavy metal. Nirvana was grunge and The Ramones were punk. Oh and I and many others consider Pink Floyd to be progressive rather than rock.

It all comes from Rock, that is the root, and Rock comes from a fusion of R&B, Blues, and what was once called "hillbilly" music, and later became Country/Western. There are probably about as many 'genres' of rock as their are exceptional bands, as that has become the hallmark of excellence in rock music... being innovative and inspiring new sounds. Rock has such a wide range, it is really hard to pick the best "rock song" of all times... it's like picking the best song of all times... there are so many variables and so much to choose from.

I was disappointed in the selections, they seem to be done off the top of the head, without much considerations for many great entries...

Purple Rain- Prince
I Want to Rock and Roll All Night- KISS
Thriller- Michael Jackson
Nights in White Satin- Moody Blues
Bohemian Rhapsody- Queen

I can think of at least two BETTER songs for The Beatles and Stones...
A Day in The Life- Beatles
Satisfaction- Stones

Some other honorable mentions for "greatest rock song" are:

All Along the Watchtower- Hendrix (written by Dylan)
Hotel California- The Eagles
Smoke on the Water- Deep Purple
Won't Get Fooled Again- The Who

...I could do this all night!

The thing I find fascinating is how the conversation here seems to reveal individual tastes in music, and this makes these sort of lists subjective. I happen to have a very wide appreciation for music, there is very little that I don't appreciate, especially live performances. Anything from Celtic, Reggae, Zydeco-style, Alternative, Indie, Folk... Those are my faves, but I can appreciate ALL music, it is the universal language.

I hate annoying repetitiveness, especially when that is what the point is, to be repetitively annoying! Not a big heavy metal fan, it gives me a headache and sounds so dreadful to my ears. Rap and Jazz took a while to grow on me, I once hated them, now I can tolerate them in small doses. I like pretty much everything else.

I hate annoying repetitiveness, especially when that is what the point is, to be repetitively annoying! Not a big heavy metal fan, it gives me a headache and sounds so dreadful to my ears. Rap and Jazz took a while to grow on me, I once hated them, now I can tolerate them in small doses. I like pretty much everything else.

Jazz was essentially the garage band music of its day. The repetitiveness of it is largely a product of its experimental nature, as people would pick up their saxophones, drumsticks, and brass, and begin jamming. I'm not a big fan of it either, though...

Rap is another sort of experimental art form, but I really don't like it. There's some great stuff out there like Gangster's Paradise, but such are exceptions.

tell your mom to change your diapers grumpy boy
I knew when I posted this we'd hear from the arthouse critics who think all time great bands, like U2, suck and only care about music that nobody else gives a rats ass about. Oh well, I gave him a chance and he doesn't have the balls to walk the talk.

You also forgot GNR and Skidrow. And Styx is fucking awesome.
Styx and Reo both were great in their early days but in the mid 80's Kevin Cronin and Dennis Deyoung became frustrated broadway entertainers and they took both bands from Rock to power ballads. They both sucked after that.

Back