• It's a Long Way to the Top - AC/DC

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Helter Skelter - The Beatles

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I hate annoying repetitiveness, especially when that is what the point is, to be repetitively annoying! Not a big heavy metal fan, it gives me a headache and sounds so dreadful to my ears. Rap and Jazz took a while to grow on me, I once hated them, now I can tolerate them in small doses. I like pretty much everything else.
Dixie, you think Michael Jackson, a pot artist, should be on the list. Nuff said!

I have to admit. The 80's were not the brightest period for Rock but it was a hell of a lot better than it is now. Hip Hop and Rap are to the early 2000's what Disco was to the 70's.

Oh well, one of these days they'll run out of songs to sample and we'll hear some good music for a change.

You forget... we have these wonderful non stop sensations coming off of American Idol. Surely the next Led Zeppelin/The Who/Metallica/ AC/DC/ Zombie will pop up in the next episode.

I have to admit. The 80's were not the brightest period for Rock but it was a hell of a lot better than it is now. Hip Hop and Rap are to the early 2000's what Disco was to the 70's.

Oh well, one of these days they'll run out of songs to sample and we'll hear some good music for a change.

So you're saying that Hip Hop and Rap are kickass?

It all comes from Rock, that is the root, and Rock comes from a fusion of R&B, Blues, and what was once called "hillbilly" music, and later became Country/Western. There are probably about as many 'genres' of rock as their are exceptional bands, as that has become the hallmark of excellence in rock music... being innovative and inspiring new sounds. Rock has such a wide range, it is really hard to pick the best "rock song" of all times... it's like picking the best song of all times... there are so many variables and so much to choose from.

You forgot what I think is one of the most important influences on Rock (along with R&B anyways.... and that is classical music. Bach and Vivaldi (sp?), among others, also influenced Rock... especially in terms of chord progression.

You forgot what I think is one of the most important influences on Rock (along with R&B anyways.... and that is classical music. Bach and Vivaldi (sp?), among others, also influenced Rock... especially in terms of chord progression.

I was listening to Mozart's 40th the other day, and that tune was taken and made into a little number several years ago.

Nah, I always kinda-sorta dug the Mac. I just never focused on them. But, man I've just been realizing in the last few years that Stevie Nicks had the most awesome pipes in rock history. Outstanding!

I would agree that Nicks is awesome... but I will toss Joan Jett in there for Rock vocals queen.

Can't just limit it to one top song but here is one of my favorites of all time:

Sure wish Big Gay Al would go away or change his pic...I tire of feeling nauseous while reading the board. :(

That's true. All members of my favorite band of all time, Pink Floyd, reputedly were classically trained. It shows both in the execution of their music and in their innovation.

I consider classical composers to be unmatchable in their level of tallent. I'm not the most well-versed in classical symphonies, but so long as their is cinema, it will never die off...

That's true. All members of my favorite band of all time, Pink Floyd, reputedly were classically trained. It shows both in the execution of their music and in their innovation.

Ahh, Pink Floyd. Great group. I have a sudden urge to go home and dig through all of my cassettes, play 'em and turn them up loud. LOL, right now the only old tape I have out and handy is Cyndi Luaper...my kid likes She Bop so we hear that coming from his room occasionally. Remember now, he's just 6. :)

Nice. You can't go wrong with a gal rocker festooned in black leather. That was way cool.

exactly. Totally had a crush on her in the late 70's.... that only escalated with 'I love Rock and Roll''s release in the early 80's (I was ten). She is still hot today... and can still sing.

Agreed.... except for the favorite band of all time part. I have never been able to choose.

I consider classical composers to be unmatchable in their level of tallent. I'm not the most well-versed in classical symphonies, but so long as their is cinema, it will never die off...

I would agree. Especially given that the music is free for anyone to use.

But the way new 'artists' steal from the past ever more frequently, I would assume many of the old guard of rock will live on as well.

Back