What's your spiritual faith and why do you believe in it?

To further discuss the issue of freewill, I will say that the biggest problem with people who believe in the Abrahamic faith is the fact that God's foreknowledge of knowing simultaneous past, present, and future events presents any issue with me regarding intervention. Til this day, I don't see how any person of these faiths can argue that God gave humans freewill but at the same time has determined through his scripture future events that are to come. For example, in the Bible in revelations God is said to pour out his wrath upon the world in succession and eventually he will come down and defeat the devil. For secularists like myself, why wait for such events when he could have annihilated the devil long ago? Or to go back further why even use Jesus of Nazareth to die on the cross to save mankind when God can simply do that himself?

The idea of Freewill and determinism presents several problems:

1) The problem of morality (as in if freewill exists and determinism exists then the agency of mankind is not free and in fact the agency of man is prompted by what comes naturally to man or what he 'man' is designed to do therefore the morality of man and whether his nature of good and evil is by pure design).

2) Humans act by their own capacity.

3) If there is freewill then causality is not successive and in that causality is interrupted.

To further discuss the issue of freewill, I will say that the biggest problem with people who believe in the Abrahamic faith is the fact that God's foreknowledge of knowing simultaneous past, present, and future events presents any issue with me regarding intervention. Til this day, I don't see how any person of these faiths can argue that God gave humans freewill but at the same time has determined through his scripture future events that are to come. For example, in the Bible in revelations God is said to pour out his wrath upon the world in succession and eventually he will come down and defeat the devil. For secularists like myself, why wait for such events when he could have annihilated the devil long ago? Or to go back further why even use Jesus of Nazareth to die on the cross to save mankind when God can simply do that himself?

1) The problem of morality (as in if freewill exists and determinism exists then the agency of mankind is not free and in fact the agency of man is prompted by what comes naturally to man or what he 'man' is designed to do therefore the morality of man and whether his nature of good and evil is by pure design).

3) If there is freewill then causality is not successive and in that causality is interrupted.

You seem to be having a great deal of difficulty with this, so let me try and simplify it for you.
We who have children have a general idea of where we would like our children to be, when they grow up. - Good job, happy relationships, law abiding, etc.
And we try to steer them in that direction.
Because of Free Will though, these plans don't work out and our children do other things that we may or may not approve of.
When they go off of the "path", sometimes we will try to guide them back; but we can't control them, ergo: free will.

Using your posts, it would seem that you believe you were "predestined" to post the posts you have and have no control to do so or not. :palm:

To further discuss the issue of freewill, I will say that the biggest problem with people who believe in the Abrahamic faith is the fact that God's foreknowledge of knowing simultaneous past, present, and future events presents any issue with me regarding intervention. Til this day, I don't see how any person of these faiths can argue that God gave humans freewill but at the same time has determined through his scripture future events that are to come.

1) God’s plan of redemption is specific and involves specific persons to carry that plan out. Not ALL persons are participants in that specific plan. God as all knowing is also able to create a plan based on future knowledge. But more importantly you confuse true freewill with mans sin nature and its bondage to sin.
2a) Freewill is only free to a point, i.e. man does not typically act against his nature in the same way as any other creature will. Put a plate of vegetables and a plate of raw meat side by side in front of a lion. Which dish will he freely choose? In this way man freely chooses his destiny.
2b) Man’s destiny from the fall was death from sin. Sin is the corrupting influence that drives mans freewill, in the same way that a lion’s nature drives him to choose raw meat over vegetables. Man is driven to serve self not God. This is original sin.

For example, in the Bible in revelations God is said to pour out his wrath upon the world in succession and eventually he will come down and defeat the devil. For secularists like myself, why wait for such events when he could have annihilated the devil long ago? Or to go back further why even use Jesus of Nazareth to die on the cross to save mankind when God can simply do that himself?

1) Christ’s death on the cross put the devil in chains- or better understood gave man power over him through faith in Christ.
2) The idea of a sacrifice settling the debt of sin is not a modern or popular idea. But atonement was, and is, biblically consistent with Gods nature. God said eat of this and you shall die. The death was both spiritual and physical. Gods first act of mercy was to provide salvation for the latter, and thereby a reprieve from the former. A corrupt (guilty) person cannot save another corrupt person. This created a seeming dilemma. God, who is perfect and without sin was the obvious choice for atonement of sin, this was the reason for Christ.

1) Man was not designed with a sin nature; he was designed with a freewill and made morally perfect. Indeed it was his freewill that allowed him to sin. Man’s will is no longer truly free in that it is influenced (chained) to sin as the progeny of the fist man Adam. In Christ man has the ability to understand his sin as God sees it. He is called to forsake it and seek after Christ. He is told he cannot do this once or twice, but that it is his cross and he must take up the task of forsaking sin daily until he is reunited with Christ.

None of these explanations needs to be convincing to you- but it is the actual teaching of scripture and you did ask for explanations of various tenets and teachings. Yes, there are numerous other squabbles amongst the faithful, but these basic teachings are fundamental and agreed upon by adherents to Christianity.

Back