Which should I buy?

Which should I get

• JD 2025R

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Kubota B2601

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well, the Kubota dealer says it'll be six months or more before I can get a tractor from the factory. They have nothing in stock and are trying to catch up on orders already in the system.

On pricing, that 16K or so is for a stripped tractor. Add a loader, backhoe, canopy, etc., and they come out at 30 to 40 grand. The Kubota is actually a little more expensive too. At least the JD is in stock and can be delivered tomorrow. While I think the Kubota would be a better backhoe, I'm not too inclined to wait more than half-a-year to get one...

Thanks Brandon!

Well, the Kubota dealer says it'll be six months or more before I can get a tractor from the factory. They have nothing in stock and are trying to catch up on orders already in the system.

On pricing, that 16K or so is for a stripped tractor. Add a loader, backhoe, canopy, etc., and they come out at 30 to 40 grand. The Kubota is actually a little more expensive too. At least the JD is in stock and can be delivered tomorrow. While I think the Kubota would be a better backhoe, I'm not too inclined to wait more than half-a-year to get one...

Thanks Brandon!

You could find a decent used regular backhoe for $30K or less.

Thanks Brandon!

Obviously you didn't do that at the Kubota site. $16K was with a bucket and backhoe attachment.

Right now, I'm in the process of selecting and buying a new compact backhoe / loader. The two best choices are:

The John Deere 2025R

41355721_large_3403.jpg

And the Kubota B2601

71bce6c16f3408b76e34e3dc11297f31.jpg

They're both about $35,000 give or take in cost with a similar features package.

The government is running record high deficits?
Covdi-19 refuses to die - hurting, economic stabilization.
The Fed is threatening to end 'QE'/raise interest rates this year...which will undoubtedly cause the equities and real estate markets to 'correct' (the NASDAQ is already in correction territory)?
https://www.cnbc.com/quotes/@ND.1
Inflation is the highest since February 1982?
https://www.rateinflation.com/inflation-rate/usa-historical-inflation-rate/

And you want to buy a compact tractor?
A relatively expensive and rather frivolous purchase?

Unless you are wealthy or the need is absolutely essential?
You should wait at LEAST 6 months and see what inflation is going to do and how the markets will react to the Fed raising rates/ending QE before you buy your 'toy'.

But it's your money.

As for which is better?
I have not a frigging clue.
And, no offense, I hope I never will.

Last edited:
My problem then is moving it around. These compacts I can haul with what I have. A full size used backhoe, if you can find one locally, requires major trailer or commercial truck haulage.

That's true. Dudes I know tow them with a low boy and mini-wheeler or 5-ton truck and fairly heavy trailer.

I didn't consider them being too much for a 1-ton truck to pull.

Hauling 15-17k lbs with something designed for 11k..not a good idea.

It could be done, but not a good idea and a target for DOT.

Last edited:
For the stuff I usually do, digging 6 or so feet and moving a few yards of dirt is just fine with a compact. I needed a full size to do major grading and such, but a compact fits my needs better and I can tow it on 14' trailer with a 2" ball hitch.

For the stuff I usually do, digging 6 or so feet and moving a few yards of dirt is just fine with a compact. I needed a full size to do major grading and such, but a compact fits my needs better and I can tow it on 14' trailer with a 2" ball hitch.

I would check other dealers, making a day of it could be worthwhile.

Back