Who's Number One?

ohiodem

New Democrat
Since Alabama, who I still think is one of the best teams in the country, lost last week there has been a lot of discussion about who should be the number one college football team in the country.

Now, I confess up front that I went to Ohio State and bleed Scarlet and Gray, but I see no other college football team as deserving to be number one than my beloved Ohio State Buckeyes.

I'm up for other arguments but one that really pisses me off is the Oregon should be number one argument. Do these people forget that the Rose Bowl actually happened and that Ohio State dominated Chip Kelley's finesse offense all night long on a neutral turf in Oregon's home timezone? Neither squad is significantly different but people want to put the Ducks ahead of the Buckeyes? That argument holds no water for me.

I'm realistic enough to know that if Ohio State played Alabama they would have to play near perfect football and capitalize on a lot of Crimson Tide mistakes to win but in the system we live with there has to be a new number one and I can think of no more deserving team than the Buckeyes from Columbus.

Right now its a tough call. I still think Bama is one of the top teams, but I certainly can't put us at #1.

Its still early enough in the season that some teams, like the Buckeyes, haven't played their tough games yet. Wisconsin could be one of those games.

After watching the Ducks wear stanford out, they would probably have my vote for #1.

I have a great idea. Actually, its an idea I heard discussed on the radio today.

Lets have Ohio State, Oklahoma, LSU, Auburn, and Oregon lose at least one game (preferably two).

Then lets have Bama and SC lose another game.

That will leave Boise State and TCU playing for the NC.

Let there be one year where the big money teams are not in the big game, and THAT will get us closer to a playoff.

I am thinking Auburn is looking closer and closer to #1 team material.

Now Mott knows exactly how we Bama fans felt a week ago. Looked like a duplicate game. lol

Now Mott knows exactly how we Bama fans felt a week ago. Looked like a duplicate game. lol
Yea we got smacked in the face by those cheese heads and never really recovered. Now since we don't play MSU we wont even get a shot at the Rose Bowl, If we can finish out with 1 loss we might get one of the inferior BCS games.

Yea we got smacked in the face by those cheese heads and never really recovered. Now since we don't play MSU we wont even get a shot at the Rose Bowl, If we can finish out with 1 loss we might get one of the inferior BCS games.

hey, don't jump to conclusions....MSU still needs to get past Iowa.....and yes, it's worth coming back just to mock an Ohio fan.....

Last edited:
And South Carolina got beat by Kentucky so it makes Bama's loss to SC look even worse. yesterday was a good day for NCAA football. Oooo and Top LSU took care of McNeese, wow they schedule some tough games in October for the tigers.

And South Carolina got beat by Kentucky so it makes Bama's loss to SC look even worse. yesterday was a good day for NCAA football. Oooo and Top LSU took care of McNeese, wow they schedule some tough games in October for the tigers.

Yeah, I hatede to see SC los that one, and for that very reason.

But I have said before that the SEC is down this year. LSU is cruising on some lucky plays, but they still have Bama and Auburn on their schedule.

Oddly, the pollsters didn't see SC's loss as a bad reflection on Bama. The AP and the Coaches polls both have us at #7, while the AP dropped OSU all the way to #11 and the Coaches poll has them at #10. The AP and Coaches polls have SC at #19 and #20 respectively.

Which tells me that they not only didn't worry about SC losing but didn't watch Bama play yesterday. We looked flat as hell all day.

My 19 year old brother in law goes to school in Madison. He said that there was partying in the street til sunrise this morning. He said Mad town was like New Orleans during Mardi Gras.

Oddly, the pollsters didn't see SC's loss as a bad reflection on Bama. The AP and the Coaches polls both have us at #7, while the AP dropped OSU all the way to #11 and the Coaches poll has them at #10. The AP and Coaches polls have SC at #19 and #20 respectively.

Which tells me that they not only didn't worry about SC losing but didn't watch Bama play yesterday. We looked flat as hell all day.

Bonus SEC points

Back